I would drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point I was trying to make is that we need to start passing the ball out from defence. We have created far more chances when we get the ball down and start passing it about and that should start at the back. West Brom was a good case and in small parts yesterday we created chances when we kept it down. Other than that it's all hoof ball and head tennis for most of the game.

On a brighter note Bell looks promising, that is if we don't ruin him in the next few games like we seem to manage with most promising players we bring in.....................

The point I was trying to make is that we need to start passing the ball out from defence. We have created far more chances when we get the ball down and start passing it about and that should start at the back. West Brom was a good case and in small parts yesterday we created chances when we kept it down. Other than that it's all hoof ball and head tennis for most of the game.

On a brighter note Bell looks promising, that is if we don't ruin him in the next few games like we seem to manage with most promising players we bring in.....................

In which case I agree with you.

I have always said that one of the reasons we don't score enough goals is because the back fours distribution is frankly pathetic, i spent a game focusing on it and i was alarmed at the amount of times a long ball is just hacked up to the strikers.

However when you have the best defensive record in the league you simply cannot start changing it, what needs to be done is the Kisnorbo and GM need to be sat down and given some pretty stern and direct instruction to introduce other methods of distribution inot their games. And they also need to do some intense training sessions on distribution untill they are capable of doing it on the pitch, they know how to head, tackle, mark etc so this should not effect thier overall game in a negative way.

He never said we did. You changed the word 'year' to 'season'. He was correct in what he wrote :icon_wink

If you read it again, it sounds like he implied last season.

Don't know about dropping a centre back, but they need to be told not to hoof it all the time, its been the root of our problems for a few seasons now. I haven't figured whether its down to these 2 or whether its down to the midfielders not making themselves available. A combination of both i suspect.

If you read it again, it sounds like he implied last season.

Implication is irrelevant. The actual wording is what is important.

Yes, I know I am a pedantic bastard :icon_lol:

When they try to play football the end up losing it. I'd rather they lumped it up than conceded a goal. Far too often we've seen them try to pass it out and lose it (McAuley did it a couple of times sat) or just pass it around the back for until they're closed down and (usually) stearman has to lump it up into the corner.

If the defence are to pass it out, it is the job of the midfield to make it possible.

The defence doesn't need to be changed.

Agreed Alex,amazes me that people are bellyaching about any of our defenders when we have best defence in the League or something.We have problems but our defence is not one of the problems.Both of our Centre Halves are a goal threat too

They got away with murder on Saturday.....and if we want to progrees the back 4 needs a change. It's all about confidence and I'd guess the midfield and strikers have got little in em.

Last edited:
When they try to play football the end up losing it. I'd rather they lumped it up than conceded a goal. Far too often we've seen them try to pass it out and lose it (McAuley did it a couple of times sat) or just pass it around the back for until they're closed down and (usually) stearman has to lump it up into the corner.

If the defence are to pass it out, it is the job of the midfield to make it possible.

The defence doesn't need to be changed.

I'd agree with that,I want my defenders to defend and our are one of the best in the League at doing that.

i always wonder why Kisnorbo always takes the free kicks, pumping the ball into the box towards where he should be. For someone who is a real threat for set pieces it seems strange that he is responsible for free kicks practically when Mattock's deep crosses cause defences such problems

i always wonder why Kisnorbo always takes the free kicks, pumping the ball into the box towards where he should be. For someone who is a real threat for set pieces it seems strange that he is responsible for free kicks practically when Mattock's deep crosses cause defences such problems

I think Kisnorbo is more consistent when it comes to the long deliveries. Mattock/Clemence/Hendrie/Bell(now) are used in the wider positions.

Plus on a freekick from inside our own half why on earth would you send up one of your centre halfs, if they return it your ****ed

I guess you would keep the full backs there normaly. i just think he is more of a threat in the box rather than taking the free kicks

While the long hoof forward may be a good idea if there is no safer option, that does suppose the ball travels forward a good distance. In the first half on saturday it was (due in measure, I grant, to the swirling wind) too often high in the air and coming down little further forward than it started. Against a team of big lumps that was near suicidal.

Long ball is fine if you can make intelligent use of it. Someone mentioned in another thread the constant use of long goal kicks to a cluster of about 18 players all standing still within 15 yards of each other on one side of the pitch. It makes them a lottery rather than the start of an attacking play. Watch the top teams - a goal kick or long clearance normally has players spread across the pitch, with some of them moving forward ready to run onto it. It puts the defending team on the defensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00