Ian Hume

Status
Not open for further replies.
At Least hume will shoot. De Vries did get applause when he had a good effort, but these were rare, usually he would keep switching feet and trying to twist and turn until either he fell over or was tackled. If he had shot when he had the chance he would have been much less frustrating.

The Voice From Above said:
Lee Marshall, John Curtis, Alan Rogers, Tommy English.......

might it have something to with performance?

Sir Les and Emile generally performed well.....

I counter your argument with Ian Marshall, Tommy Wright, Steve Claridge... Looked like gypsies, loved by the fans.

A lot of it is down to work-rate: a player who looks like he's not putting in 100% will ivite criticism, a player with a burst, or who chases lost causes will always get the benefit of the doubt

Feriol said:
At Least hume will shoot. De Vries did get applause when he had a good effort, but these were rare, usually he would keep switching feet and trying to twist and turn until either he fell over or was tackled. If he had shot when he had the chance he would have been much less frustrating.

de Vries has had more shots this season than any of our other strikers, he's 15th in the table in this division for shots on goal.

webmaster said:
de Vries has had more shots this season than any of our other strikers, he's 15th in the table in this division for shots on goal.
Yes, but of these shots, how many actually reached the back of the net?:icon_roll

webmaster said:
More than any of our other strikers.

Only due to the amount of games, statistically speaking, we haven't had a Fryatt in our side for a while! Well, since Connolly....I guess!

alex said:
Only due to the amount of games, statistically speaking, we haven't had a Fryatt in our side for a while! Well, since Connolly....I guess!

But in terms of strike rate, de Vries was statistically our best striker until Fryatt arrived.

Despite all the things that Hume does to excite thew crowd, there's rarely an end product to it. If MdV had missed the early chance Hume had on saturday he'd have been given stick for the rest of the match.

webmaster said:
But in terms of strike rate, de Vries was statistically our best striker until Fryatt arrived.

Despite all the things that Hume does to excite thew crowd, there's rarely an end product to it. If MdV had missed the early chance Hume had on saturday he'd have been given stick for the rest of the match.

The fans reactions aren't based on chances, or goals really. De Vries was a very frustrating player, he wasted a lot of good chances by hesitating or trying to be to clever and turn when he didn't need to. He also was expected to be good in the air, and this was frustrating, although i blame the other players for this aspect, because they persisted in hoofing it to him.

Also i think because, De Vries did prove at times that he was quite skillful, and could be strong, but most of the time failed to live up to those standards. when you know somebody is capable of better and they consistantly under perform that is frustrating.

Connolly's scoring record to start with was poor, but he tried every game, and showed the same ability to create chances and a willingness to keep trying even when things weren't going well, so the fans stuck by him.

Hume is similar, you know given time and a bit more confidence in front of goal he has the ability, and the attitude to be a really good player.

Feriol said:
The fans reactions aren't based on chances, or goals really. De Vries was a very frustrating player, he wasted a lot of good chances by hesitating or trying to be to clever and turn when he didn't need to. He also was expected to be good in the air, and this was frustrating, although i blame the other players for this aspect, because they persisted in hoofing it to him.

Also i think because, De Vries did prove at times that he was quite skillful, and could be strong, but most of the time failed to live up to those standards. when you know somebody is capable of better and they consistantly under perform that is frustrating.

Connolly's scoring record to start with was poor, but he tried every game, and showed the same ability to create chances and a willingness to keep trying even when things weren't going well, so the fans stuck by him.

Hume is similar, you know given time and a bit more confidence in front of goal he has the ability, and the attitude to be a really good player.

More of an attacking midfielder IMO, his 10-15 goals a season look very respectable then. I think he looks better when not played right up against the opposition defence, problem is we already have williams, hughes and now wesolowski providing that role in midfield. I would give Hume a crack on the right in replacement of Maybury, then put either Hammond or O'Grady up front. Hume puts his foot in a bit and would help protect Stearman better than Momo would.

Last edited:
Fans like to pin all the hopes on one player which is what a lot of did when Hume came here, and whereas with De Vries when we realised he wasn't that good we turned on him, but with Hume a lot of people refuse to believe that he isn't as good as first thought.

Teeno said:
Fans like to pin all the hopes on one player which is what a lot of did when Hume came here, and whereas with De Vries when we realised he wasn't that good we turned on him, but with Hume a lot of people refuse to believe that he isn't as good as first thought.
:038: Nail on Head

Teeno said:

Based on all those games he has played with a regular strike partner! :icon_roll

Willlow said:
Based on all those games he has played with a regular strike partner! :icon_roll

I think he has bought as he was the closest thing CL could get the time to a goal-scoring striker, but isnt really, so it was more the timing of the signing that was the problem IMO.

Melton Fox said:
:038: Nail on Head
I think thats the best way of putting it. De Vries doesn't like like a footballer either, he is the type of footballer that is easy to take the piss out of and sometimes when you watch him you can't help but laugh. Whereas Hume looks like he's trying and looks like a footballer.

Aswell he was compared to Dickov when he first came here, and it is easy to see why in the way he runs and plays, but in fairness to him he hasn't had a consistant run in the team. But his goals scored tally is not good enough.

He might come good, I think his main role in the team though now will be supplying Fryatt. But it's probably best to support the lad and keep chanting his name, as shown with Benji when we got behind him he showed signs of coming good.

Lboro fox said:
I think he has bought as he was the closest thing CL could get the time to a goal-scoring striker, but isnt really, so it was more the timing of the signing that was the problem IMO.

Still think he compliments Fryatt and Hume will make a good partnership! I know fryatt has scored 3 goals so far but Hume plays a hand by doing all the leg work IMO!

Last edited:
Willlow said:
I think humey is a good players and done allright for us but people expected this scoring machine, and he isn't. Which I why I have said he isn't as good as people first thought.

Teeno said:
I think humey is a good players and done allright for us but people expected this scoring machine, and he isn't. Which I why I have said he isn't as good as people first thought.

it depends what role you think he should play. i think he is best as the supporting forward, dropping a bit deeper, linking up play, creating things. When he played with MDV he was asked to be the lead striker, and he doesn't do that very well.

Feriol said:
it depends what role you think he should play. i think he is best as the supporting forward, dropping a bit deeper, linking up play, creating things. When he played with MDV he was asked to be the lead striker, and he doesn't do that very well.
I agree with that entirely, I think Hume needs to be the man linking the midfield and the attack, and therefor will not score as much as fryatt, however we can't rely on just one goalscorer upfront.

Teeno said:
I agree with that entirely, I think Hume needs to be the man linking the midfield and the attack, and therefor will not score as much as fryatt, however we can't rely on just one goalscorer upfront.

I Think that pairing should keep us up. Next season though i think we will need someone more prolific if we are to look at promotion, although at tranmere Hume showed he can score his fair share, as an attacking midfielder. so maybe if he gets going it will work out. I am quite excited about the pottential of their partnership, i hope it comes together.

Teeno said:
I think thats the best way of putting it. De Vries doesn't like like a footballer either, he is the type of footballer that is easy to take the piss out of and sometimes when you watch him you can't help but laugh. Whereas Hume looks like he's trying and looks like a footballer.

Aswell he was compared to Dickov when he first came here, and it is easy to see why in the way he runs and plays, but in fairness to him he hasn't had a consistant run in the team. But his goals scored tally is not good enough.

He might come good, I think his main role in the team though now will be supplying Fryatt. But it's probably best to support the lad and keep chanting his name, as shown with Benji when we got behind him he showed signs of coming good.

oh no i carnt believe u have said that hume is alot like Dickov, he may still be learning but at mo he isnt fit enough 2 lace his boots. Would anybody not welcome dickov back with open arms, forgetting what he did and said.
contract up at end of season at blackburn. Lets have it.:038:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670