Ice Kings in the posh papers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some great quotes from McLintock regarding the Cup semi and final.

Really good article and brings back my earliest memories of City. I was 7 years old at the end of that season and remember the cup defeat very well and the sense of disappointment as i watched in black and white tv with my dad and uncle. That Summer my dad bought our first family car after passing his test, a green and cream Hillman Minx, the previous owner was John Sjoberg, who happily for me had left a few Leicester City stickers and a pennant in the windows. Gibson was always my hero and i was always 'him' when i was kicking a ball around in the yard at home. Happy days!

Gibo was a great player - I remember that season well - we could have easily done the double - i never forget getting up one morning and me dad god rest his soul said to me that he'd got us tickets for the Leyton Orient game away in the cup - Ken Keyworth after 6mins gave us a 1-0 win in the fifth round - sad in it how I still remember after all these years

My dad always goes on about that season and the Gillies era in general. Always cites Dave Gibson as the best Leicester player he's ever seen.

It is possible to get the match on DVD. I presume that the club shop sells it although I got it through a rental firm simply to see the team six years before I started supporting them.

There is a moment in the game when a Leicester defender robs a United attacker and you think "Hey John Sjoberg has just made Bobby Charlton look ordinary." It was interesting to see Graham Cross who I remember as a central defender playing inside forward. It was also fascinating to see Davie Gibson and Mike Stringfellow in their prime.

In the 1968-69 season when I began going to Leicester games Gibson seemed to me unimpressive and it was irritating to hear fans calling for Stringfellow. In fact it was clear that both had been superb players. Matt Gillies had been sacked before I arrived and nobody seemed to have much time for him. From what I have learned since and from this excellent article Matt Gillies deserves to rank with Bloomfield and O'Neill.

It is possible to get the match on DVD. I presume that the club shop sells it although I got it through a rental firm simply to see the team six years before I started supporting them.

There is a moment in the game when a Leicester defender robs a United attacker and you think "Hey John Sjoberg has just made Bobby Charlton look ordinary." It was interesting to see Graham Cross who I remember as a central defender playing inside forward. It was also fascinating to see Davie Gibson and Mike Stringfellow in their prime.

In the 1968-69 season when I began going to Leicester games Gibson seemed to me unimpressive and it was irritating to hear fans calling for Stringfellow. In fact it was clear that both had been superb players. Matt Gillies had been sacked before I arrived and nobody seemed to have much time for him. From what I have learned since and from this excellent article Matt Gillies deserves to rank with Bloomfield and O'Neill.

Or possibly above them DG, 2 FA cup finals and very close to a Championship winning side that competed with the best in the early sixties.

Really good article and brings back my earliest memories of City. I was 7 years old at the end of that season and remember the cup defeat very well and the sense of disappointment as i watched in black and white tv with my dad and uncle. That Summer my dad bought our first family car after passing his test, a green and cream Hillman Minx, the previous owner was John Sjoberg, who happily for me had left a few Leicester City stickers and a pennant in the windows. Gibson was always my hero and i was always 'him' when i was kicking a ball around in the yard at home. Happy days!

Took me back. First went down in 1967 and 2 weeks later we signed Frank Large. I loved him, and thereafter on Braunstone Park when everyone else was George Best or Jimmy Greaves I had to be Frank Large. I never got to meet him. Many years later the missus was talking about going to Ireland and I knew he had a boarding house, so I decided to go there and say you were my hero. Looked it up on the internet and found out that the poor old devil had died the previous year from cancer. I was absolutely gutted. Really would have liked to have met him.

I was at an architectural conference in Liverpool about five years ago and during a break a Liverpudlian asked me whether I supported Leicester. When I said "yes" he said "We always had trouble beating you." The conversation moved onto the 1974 semi-final at Old Trafford when Keegan and co played us off the park but we got a 0-0 thanks to Shilton's genius (an often misused word but in this case true).
It seems he may also have meant those earlier games against Matt Gillies side that I knew nothing about.

Since Martin O'Neill left we seem to have seen ourselves as a second tier club so it is worth remembering that we have had substantial periods in the top tier.

It's hardly any wonder that Liverpool see us as a hard team to beat. In 2000 Cottee and Gilchrist scored at Anfield to give us our third successive victory there. Liverpool hadn't been beaten at home three seasons running for 35 years before then. And the previous team to do it was the same Leicester City.

Last edited:
In the sixties I was a bit of a "god-botherer" and my greatest impression (apart from worshipping the ground that David Gibson walked on" was the quiet unassuming, gentle man Bert Johnson who frequently preached at our local chapel - before they pulled our slums down. Always had time to chat and was, obviously a very good scout. And being passed forward in the Double Decker end so we kids could stand and watch straight behind the goal.

It's hardly any wonder that Liverpool see us as a hard team to beat. In 2000 Cottee and Gilchrist scored at Anfield to give us our third successive victory there. Liverpool hadn't been beaten at home three seasons running for 35 years before then. And the previous team to do it was the same Leicester City.

I was there! A work colleague, a Liverpool season ticket holder, told me at 4pm that I could borrow his two tickets for that nights game. I dashed home to Leicestershire from Milton Keynes to collect my son and our LCFC shirts and drove like a madman up the M6.

Once in Liverpool, I had no idea how to get to Anfield. At traffic lights, I asked the driver alongside for directions and he just said "Follow me!"

We parked in a small council house estate and I thought the young kids were going to ask me for 'protection money' (pleased to say the car remained safe).

On our brisk walk to the game which had already started, a car pulled up abruptly in front of us and 4 gleeful Evertonians told us we were already 1-0 in front.

When Gilchrist scored to make it 2-0, I jumped in the air and my lad grabbed hold of me in apprehension as we were the only Leicester fans in the whole of their main stand but there was no animosity.

We were magnificent that night and played them off the park. It remains my proudest ever moment as a Leicseter fan.

And not forgetting the time that Ian Marshall (former Evertonian) scored our winner at Anfield in front of the Kop.

That night was also memorable for something else. It was my first meeting with a bearded man in shorts :icon_bigg

When Gilchrist scored to make it 2-0, I jumped in the air and my lad grabbed hold of me in apprehension as we were the only Leicester fans in the whole of their main stand but there was no animosity.

Two years earlier I was one of quite a few City fans in their main stand for the game. Their Anfield Road end was closed for rebuilding and the game had been designated as being for home fans only. Nevertheless quite a few of us found ourselves there and when Matt Elliott made it 1-0 in the first minute, I wasn't the only one sitting on my hands. Shortly afterwards I felt a bit of a nudge in my back, followed by a Scouse-voice saying, "We know you're Leicester". Before I had time to even think about shitting myself, he followed it up by telling me that Liverpool were playing crap and that it would be OK to cheer IF we scored again.

It would have been nice to have been able to believe him immediately but with about 85 minutes of the game left, I found myself hoping that we didn't score again. I really didn't fancy the risk. But the Liverpudlian was right;they were playing crap and we were all over them. I decided to do a not-so-loud "oh well done" now and again to test out what he had said. He was true to his word and soon the banter was flowing and it was like being at a game 30 years earlier. I still didn't fancy us scoring though - and Liverpool didn't look likely too.

When the goal finally did come and it was only about 10 minutes from the end, it was from an unlikely source. I think it was Heskey who had a shot (I'm not going to argue if somebody tells me it was somebody else). I let out a bit of a shout but David James had it covered (I am going to argue if anybody tries to tell me it was anybody else) and should have held it - but he put it right into the path of Fatty Fenton who only had to tap it in. 2-0 up at Anfield and I went mad. It was only then that I realised just how many City fans there were in the main stand and pleasingly all of them felt able to celebrate the goal. Paul Ince did get them one back almost immediately but I left the stadium feeling doubly happy - we'd won and Liverpool fans had shown me that they weren't bad after all.

And not forgetting the time that Ian Marshall (former Evertonian) scored our winner at Anfield in front of the Kop.

That night was also memorable for something else. It was my first meeting with a bearded man in shorts :icon_bigg

That would have been the middle one of the three wins then. Did I really have shorts on that far back? I wasn't wearing them as a regular thing then.

And to be honest I would not have remembered that it was there/then that I first met you.

Following on the Liverpool theme, i remember going in the away end at Filbert Street with a mate when we played Liverpool in a night game that ended 3-3, i cant remember the year but it was mid eighties. I seem to remember it was a sell out and we had decided just to turn up and could only get in the away end at the back. I remember enjoying the game and the scouse humour but we kept pretty quiet except for a token gesture when they scored. Looking back we probably stuck out like a sore thumb

Thought you might have meant Santa.
I went to the Wallace victory in 1981.
Hayley would have have said hi but she and Ross just got on bus to Meadowhall. I'm working near to Sheffield station today and my break just started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566