Ie8

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyn

Is anyone using IE8 and has there been some sort of update that's changed the default font to a smaller size? Something weird has happened in last 24 hours to me. It's not necessarily a problem, just irritating that I can't see why it's happened!

Going to revert to Chrome again I think, I only started using IE again when I got a new PC and it was working pretty well.

Macky

Gruntled Member
Ctrl key + scroll wheel on your mouse, will change the font size and it's fairly easy to do it accidentally.

But Chrome pwns IE8 always and all ways. It's like racing a milk float against a Formula 1 car

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
But Chrome pwns IE8 always and all ways. It's like racing a milk float against a Formula 1 car

I've had a few problems with chrome crashing.

I also don't like the way clicking on the X in the top right corner doesn't result in a dialogue box asking if you really want to close it. I've done it a number of times when I've had about 20 pages open and it's a pain in the arse.
Sometimes it closes down with no warning when I double click elsewhere on the top of the screen (I've just done it now to see if the problem has been fixed - it hasn't).
I'm currently using the 64 bit version of Windows 7, I'm thinking of installing the 32 bit version to see if that makes it more stable.

glyn

Ctrl key + scroll wheel on your mouse, will change the font size and it's fairly easy to do it accidentally

Excellent, cheers Macky. I'll blame that one on letting the 4 year old play on the Cbeebies website.

Macky

Gruntled Member
I've had a few problems with chrome crashing.

I also don't like the way clicking on the X in the top right corner doesn't result in a dialogue box asking if you really want to close it. I've done it a number of times when I've had about 20 pages open and it's a pain in the arse.
Sometimes it closes down with no warning when I double click elsewhere on the top of the screen (I've just done it now to see if the problem has been fixed - it hasn't).
I'm currently using the 64 bit version of Windows 7, I'm thinking of installing the 32 bit version to see if that makes it more stable.

Never had any problems on 32 bit Vista.

Personally, I ****ing hate dialogues asking me if I really meant to close the app. Yes, I did mean to close you, now be gone and stop bothering me.
Can't say that I've ever shut it down accidentally, but Ctrl+H after restarting displays your full history, so not a complete calamity.

I find Firefox runs slowly if I have lots of sites open at the same time.

Firefox has gotten very sluggish since a few updates ago. I only use it now for development, not for browsing.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I ****ing hate dialogues asking me if I really meant to close the app.

I hate the fact that the X in the top right corner is right next to the maximise window icon - so it's easy to click on the wrong one by mistake. It's not something that happens very often, but when it does it can mean losing work if the program doesn't ask if you want to save stuff first.

It's a basic design flaw as far as I'm concerned and MS should have done something about it 15 years ago.

Last edited:

Mawsley

You gone over to Mac now?

We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

Macky

Gruntled Member
We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

Aah right, Linux then

Matt_B

I knew, as soon as I saw a title of "IE8", that Macky would be in here somewhere :)

tedfoxxx

:icon_lol:

Orifice

What's Opera like these days? It used to be super basic & fast but I gather there's been 'updates' like FireFox.

I use FireFox but at times it doesn't run on my pc, it just walks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669