Ie8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why IE gets the slagging it does tbh. It's the best all round browser I've used. Firefox is slow. Chrome is awkward. Safari is generally shit.

Downloaded chrome half an hour ago and love it already. Firefox has been so slow recently that I thought I had some sort of virus(even though I've ran every check going). I've also got rid of that shite 'Ask' search engine.

Not sure why IE gets the slagging it does tbh. It's the best all round browser I've used. Firefox is slow. Chrome is awkward. Safari is generally shit.

How does IE compare for security?

I suggest everyone using windows installs Secunia PSI (it's free).
It will check the programs you've got installed and tell you which ones are vulnerable to hacker attacks and how to fix the problems - if they are fixable.

It will also tell you how secure your web browsers are. It's currently telling me that IE, Firefox and Opera are all insecure with no fix available at the moment, with only Chrome being OK.

For me, it's:
  • Security
  • Slowness
  • Standards compliance

How does IE compare for security?

I suggest everyone using windows installs Secunia PSI (it's free).
It will check the programs you've got installed and tell you which ones are vulnerable to hacker attacks and how to fix the problems - if they are fixable.

It will also tell you how secure your web browsers are. It's currently telling me that IE, Firefox and Opera are all insecure with no fix available at the moment, with only Chrome being OK.
Thanks I might check it out.

I know IE isn't the most secure but as above it's no worse (any more) than most.

For me, it's:
  • Security
  • Slowness
  • Standards compliance

Take your point on security (to an extent) but in terms of speed it's the quickest I've used and never had an issue with compliance personally. I use several web apps that only seem to work in IE properly.

Last edited:
in terms of speed it's the quickest I've used

As an application it runs a lot slower than Firefox for me, and in terms of rendering pages and running scripts, it is the slowest benchmarked browser available.

I use several web apps that only seem to work in IE properly.

That is entirely the point. Those apps only work properly in IE, because they've been coded specifically for IE and it's non-standards compliance.

IE is a major headache when developing any website or webapp that you want to work properly in all browsers, because of all the nasty hacks required to get it to play nicely.

As an application it runs a lot slower than Firefox for me, and in terms of rendering pages and running scripts, it is the slowest benchmarked browser available.

That is entirely the point. Those apps only work properly in IE, because they've been coded specifically for IE and it's non-standards compliance.

IE is a major headache when developing any website or webapp that you want to work properly in all browsers, because of all the nasty hacks required to get it to play nicely.

Design for Firefox, fix for IE

Suppose it makes sense to code for the most popular browser. I notice they have now been forced to give people choice on browsers when selling a new Windows PC.

Not just on new pc's, it was rolled out on the windows update to all users.

So why haven't Apple been forced to offer an alternative to itunes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669