Improved De Vries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stearmanator

Despite what is being said i think that De Vries was much improved on the player we saw last year. We know he isn't a proven goalscorer, but he seemed sharper and fitter, as well as showing an improved touch and actually won headers. Admittedly he looked goal shy, and should have been subbed when Warnock made his triple substitution, but i think it's slightly harsh to start slagging him off.

While I have defended him on here today I do think he would win more 'headers' if he actually put his head in the air when he jumps rather putting his head down when he jumps.He seems to win more headers when he's defending corners/set pieces than when we are attacking.

The Stearmanator said:
Despite what is being said i think that De Vries was much improved on the player we saw last year. We know he isn't a proven goalscorer, but he seemed sharper and fitter, as well as showing an improved touch and actually won headers. Admittedly he looked goal shy, and should have been subbed when Warnock made his triple substitution, but i think it's slightly harsh to start slagging him off.

I agree, MDv is looking better, still not great but at least he's now getting on the ball more, and on occasions he even looked like scoring:icon_eek:

I thought he had a decent enough game, his link up play was very good and I think he gave the Sheff Utd defenders a torrid time with his power, he does still lack confidence in front of goal but I think a couple of early goals will no doubt give him a big boost. I thought the partnership with Connolly looked very promising against one of the best defences in the league.

Centre forwards have always been judged on how many goals they score not on looking fit, good at holding the ball up etc - i'm fed up with people sticking up for MDV for one reason or another and I will not commenting further on this waste off space player - I will wait until the end of the season to see how many goals he has scored or in his case not

lanxfox said:
Centre forwards have always been judged on how many goals they score not on looking fit, good at holding the ball up etc - i'm fed up with people sticking up for MDV for one reason or another and I will not commenting further on this waste off space player - I will wait until the end of the season to see how many goals he has scored or in his case not

AMEN finally someone talking some sense on this thread. This guy is a complete waste of time. Ok first game of the season but after all the hype about him coming back for pre-season before the rest of the lads and apparantly having a couple of good games in pre-season i thought we were going to see a different De Vries.

Sadly not. For the first 30 mins i was starting to wonder if he was actually playing. If Levein wants a striker to play like that week in week out then i would gladly sign for half the wages. Im going to Tuesday nights game and im hoping and praying that either Dublin or the new guy starts up front. It really annoys me that people say he will come good. We need a good start to the season to get the confidence up otherwise we may well have a season like last.

chrislcfc18 said:
AMEN finally someone talking some sense on this thread. This guy is a complete waste of time. Ok first game of the season but after all the hype about him coming back for pre-season before the rest of the lads and apparantly having a couple of good games in pre-season i thought we were going to see a different De Vries.

Sadly not. For the first 30 mins i was starting to wonder if he was actually playing. If Levein wants a striker to play like that week in week out then i would gladly sign for half the wages. Im going to Tuesday nights game and im hoping and praying that either Dublin or the new guy starts up front. It really annoys me that people say he will come good. We need a good start to the season to get the confidence up otherwise we may well have a season like last.

Yes, heaven forbid people are optimistic and get behind their players..

Graz said:
Yes, heaven forbid people are optimistic and get behind their players..

I take it that is a slightly sarcastic remark. If so what are you saying give the guy a few months to prove himself then replace him if no good. He had that last season and couldnt do the job. Even Chris Kamara said he was surprised Dublin didnt replace MDV as he would win a lot more headers and is a more proven goalscorer.
I do get behind players as much as i can but if they are consistently poor they dont deserve to be in the team. CL may start MDV on Tuesday night but if he doesnt play well then he should be subbed by the hour mark.

MDV was largly unfit for the back end of last season. He has one game this season after doing an extra two weeks training and finishes poorly and we write him off for the rest of the season? If we had done that with Connelly last season he wouldnt have got the ten goals at the end of the season that probably kept us up!!

Well, ok then we will see what happens but i feel a Dublin/Connelly partnership would be more successful than MDV/Connelly partnership because i think in the latter we will be largely relying on Connelly scoring the goals to hopefully get to the Play-offs or automatic promotion.

he seems to get himself into some really good positions with his first touch but cant seem to pull the trigger when he gets the chance could be a confidence thing:102:

G F P said:
he seems to get himself into some really good positions with his first touch but cant seem to pull the trigger when he gets the chance could be a confidence thing:102:

deff agree with that. I reckon one bounces in off his left testicle and everything will be ok.:038:

chrislcfc18 said:
Well, ok then we will see what happens but i feel a Dublin/Connelly partnership would be more successful than MDV/Connelly partnership because i think in the latter we will be largely relying on Connelly scoring the goals to hopefully get to the Play-offs or automatic promotion.
What you basing that on, the amount of chances that were given that worked last season? :102:

At least De Vries can hold the ball up, turn and run every now and then. Dublin wins the odd header here and there but that is all. During pre season he was abysmal. I think its got to be either De Vries or Elvis to partner Conners.

I also remember the beginning of last season when Dublin was getting stick from the crowd for not scoring!!! I thought MDV looked good 2nd half and a bit more confidence in his shooting and he will get some goals.

i hope your right and hope he gets a boatload, a certain section of the crowd would boo Beckham if we signed him i seem to remember MON getting stick at the early stages of his time with us

There have been a variety of different views on this thread regards MDV.

I personally didnt see anything (again) yesterday that convinces me that MDV has the ability to become the consistent striker that we need.

he tried hard but I cant see how he is going to score even 10 goals this season.

I am not being a doom merchant, I actually thought we were playing really really well until 80mins but MDV did not inspire me with any confidence and CL should have brought Dublin on to replace him towards the end instead of pssing around with the defence which ultimatley lead to our downfall.

PONTUS KAAMARK said:
There have been a variety of different views on this thread regards MDV.

I personally didnt see anything (again) yesterday that convinces me that MDV has the ability to become the consistent striker that we need.

he tried hard but I cant see how he is going to score even 10 goals this season.

I am not being a doom merchant, I actually thought we were playing really really well until 80mins but MDV did not inspire me with any confidence and CL should have brought Dublin on to replace him towards the end instead of pssing around with the defence which ultimatley lead to our downfall.

No the penalty led to our downfall, because then we had to throw caution to the wind to try and get an equaliser and we lost our shape and balance, we dont know the reason why CL took Stearman off, maybe he was protecting him for tuesday, he might have been knackered or picked up a slight knock.

I thought Stearman was a very good defensive full-back on saturday, but he didn't add much going forward. Everything I've heard about Gilbert is that he's good going forward but not the finished article at the back- I think CL subbed them because he wanted to go on the attack and get a winner. If it weren't for that penalty and the team suddenly having to go all-out and losing it completly at the back, who knows, it might have worked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566