InterRailing Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcfc lad

Hi,

Me and 2 mates are planning on going inter railing around Europe in August for 2 weeks and just wondered if anyone had an 'helpful' tips and hints?!

Has anyone been before? Where are good cities to visit? Anyone know any cheap hostels etc etc.

We've been to Amsterdam and Prague before so will probably avoid those and get as far East as possible. Rough plan is getting dropped off in Calais, head to Germany then onto Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and maybe onto Bulgaria but that might be too far? Then back through Croatia, Slovenia, Northern Italy and France.

Any advice is welcome!

Speak to or PM Swede Fox. He did this last year.

save money on accommodation by taking the overnight trains to far away cities

Mrs Boc and I did this in 1992 - a long time ago so our experience might not be relevant to today's circumstances. But it was great fun and I would suggest that you go ahead and do it; if you have half as much fun as we did, it will be well worth your effort.

save money on accommodation by taking the overnight trains to far away cities

Very good advice. And it will mean that you may not visit places in the order in which they would normally seem to fall and you will find yourself zig-zagging across your chosen group of countries. We were away for a month and spent 9 nights (almost 1 in 3) on overnight trains. They're now almost non-existent in Britain but there still loads of them running all around Europe.

To aid your planning, you should be able to get a European timetable from Thomas Cook for free; branches get a new one every month and are usually happy enough to give away the previous issue. Long distance trains don't change that often so it won't be a problem that it will be a couple of months old by the time you go.

I asked a guy at work who did this with his GF a couple of years ago, his points regarding your itinerary were:

Only problem is that seems like a long way, they'll spend most of their time on trains, which might be ok, as long as they know

And

They should reserve seats for the long journeys though, like Calais to Germany. some international trains you have to reserve, otherwise you have to get a slow one to the border and then change

thanks a lot every one for your advice so far, keep it coming please. i have pm'd swede fox so hopefully he'll give me some pointers too.

i cant wait!

I'm sure things have changed since i did it in 86 & 88, but some overnighters get very busy, often the guards would let you kip in the frieght carriage if you bunged them a packet of smokes

Yeah right. All you do at work is look at Lemon Party and lolhello all day. Filthy woman.

Out of interest, would a lolhello with Oakley interest you? I could Photoshop one up?!

:icon_lol: I do no such thing you horrid little man... and no, I'm sorry, as much as I like Oakley I just wouldnt want to see that.

I'm sure things have changed since i did it in 86 & 88, but some overnighters get very busy, often the guards would let you kip in the frieght carriage if you bunged them a packet of smokes

I did it in '84 - great fun. The guards used to demand something other than cigarettes from girls to kip in the freight carriage !

I also slept on a lot of overnight trains. It goes without saying that you do have to be careful who is in the carriage with you as we came across a number of people with stories of having been robbed as well as the girls who had been assualted.

I had very little sleep on an overnighter from Paris to the south of france, fell asleep on the beach and awoke with very bad sunburn. :icon_redf

I also arrived in Rome at 5am and left very late the same evening on another overnighter, and you discover that some train stations aren't the best places to be when it's quiet.

Consider joining the youth hostel association if money is tight, they have (had?) some good quality, cheap, safe, accomodation and you'll meet interesting people from all over the world. If it is still the same you join the English YHA and it gives you access to all the other countries.

Last edited:
I'm sure things have changed since i did it in 86 & 88, but some overnighters get very busy, often the guards would let you kip in the frieght carriage if you suck them off and tickle their dewberries

Great advice there MK :icon_conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570