iPod without iTunes (or other MP3 player advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spionfox

Never been a fan of Apple but something has to give now. My MP3 collection has outgrown my Sony MP3 player and although it is all on my Android tablet that is a bit bulky for general use.

Seems that most shops now only offer MP3 players up to 16GB capacity and I need at least double that so it looks like the iPod classic (160GB) may have to be considered.

Hate iTunes, don't want it anywhere near me so i have been looking at alternatives. Plenty out there with varying levels of reviews. A few even need iTunes installed before they will work!

Anybody got any recommendations for the best way to sync an iPod via a PC without iTunes? Or recommendations for a decent capacity non-Apple MP3 player?

Ta m'ducks.

FWIW, I have a 160gig Classic but I find I prefer to make playlists up in iTunes and just carry those with me on the phone. I have the 400gb of music on an external drive which is used when I'm sitting about listening while I work. There again I have a more linear collection compared to your collection of constantly played juxtapositions :icon_bigg

Stop being deliberately difficult and use iTunes? It is fine, it won't hurt your PC and does a fantastic job. Why someone would get an iPod and not use iTunes purely on principle is beyond me.

Have to agree on that. I'm probably anti-apple I spose but I've got an iPod and use iTunes for music in my car as it's by far the easiest way to do it.

iPod's are probs the easiest to use mp3 players too so just go for it and you wont be disappointed.

If you go for an iPod you may notice that the sound quality is not as good as the Sony. Most people don't mind as they love the feel and the 'must-have' elements of the iPod.
I prefer a Sony myself, shame that large capacity is seemingly only for the iPod.

Creative Zen X-fi 32 GB works fine for me. Sceptical to iTunes but that is perhaps just me being a boring old fart

If you go for an iPod you may notice that the sound quality is not as good as the Sony. Most people don't mind as they love the feel and the 'must-have' elements of the iPod.
I prefer a Sony myself, shame that large capacity is seemingly only for the iPod.

I've had my Sony for years and like you, I really rate it. Shame about the capacity though.

I had a Sony A3000 years back and the software on both the PC and the player were so horrendous I swore never to have a Sony again. It makes me shiver. Not had a problem with my iPod in the years I've had it and no noticeable sound difference for ne.

I had a Sony A3000 years back and the software on both the PC and the player were so horrendous I swore never to have a Sony again. It makes me shiver. Not had a problem with my iPod in the years I've had it and no noticeable sound difference for ne.

I remember that and yes, it was a deal breaker. The newer Sony models don't need proprietary software though and drag'n'drop works seamlessly.

Stop being deliberately difficult and use iTunes? It is fine, it won't hurt your PC and does a fantastic job. Why someone would get an iPod and not use iTunes purely on principle is beyond me.

OK, here's the thing. I don't intend to buy from the Apple store. All of the MP3's I have have either been purchased from Amazon or ripped from my own CD collection. Can an iPod/iTunes set up let me do exactly as I like with *my* music without worrying about losing any of it or having it 'adjusted' in some way by the software? I am genuinely ignorant about this but have heard plenty of horror stories.

Thanks.

I remember that and yes, it was a deal breaker. The newer Sony models don't need proprietary software though and drag'n'drop works seamlessly.

SonicStage or something wasn't it?

I went to install iTunes a few years back and the first step of the installer asked me to select the installation language. The only option that was available was 'English (US)' which isn't a language at all, it's just a ****ing annoying accent. So I cancelled the install and swore never again. I may also have made a few other 'swear' noises.
So, with that in mind, I'm out.

*Edit: I may have related this amusing little anecdote before, but it's the most interesting, and only, experience I've had with iTunes. So bite me.

Last edited:

I had one of those, it lasted about a week, the software was absolute garbage.

OK, here's the thing. I don't intend to buy from the Apple store. All of the MP3's I have have either been purchased from Amazon or ripped from my own CD collection. Can an iPod/iTunes set up let me do exactly as I like with *my* music without worrying about losing any of it or having it 'adjusted' in some way by the software? I am genuinely ignorant about this but have heard plenty of horror stories.

Thanks.

I've managed my music for years with it and have never downloaded a single song from iTunes. I can't vouch for the amazon drm stuff though, but normal stuff is fine. It's a stand alone music player at the end of the day that lets you connect to an ipod.

I've managed my music for years with it and have never downloaded a single song from iTunes. I can't vouch for the amazon drm stuff though, but normal stuff is fine. It's a stand alone music player at the end of the day that lets you connect to an ipod.

Yep, me too. I rarely, if ever, download music from the store, I simply import the folder of music or shove a CD in the drive and let itunes rip it to my laptop and the put it on my iphone. Simples.

In past amazon has a plug in that would upload the music directly to itunes. Not sure if this is still the case.

Amazon is DRM free I believe though it was a couple of years ago I got a few of their £1/2.99 albums. Pretty sure you just download using their program and once downloaded you will then be to load into iTunes from wherever they downloaded to.

Re SQ - I think there would be very little in it between models these days, much more likely to come down to the headphones you use. I've had a Sony 16GB player in the past but it was a ball ache not being able to have everything stored on it and manually updating it. Went back to an iPod and couldn't say I noticed any difference in SQ and it's 100 times easier just plugging it in once per week and letting it sync everything automatically.

Never purchased anything from iTunes or even had an account but still use the program all the time for playback and syncing only.

I don't have personal experience so check some reviews,

There is the Archos 5 (500GB) a 4.8" android device (not sure if this is small enough for you?)

It's only £149 here

Or this has 120GB

HERE

I have bought from advanced mp3 players several times and always been pleased with their service.

I have bought from advanced mp3 players several times and always been pleased with their service.

I used them for the first time about four/five years ago and the MP3 player I bought was really crap. The company were really good about a refund though so I would certainly use them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566