iPod without iTunes (or other MP3 player advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one last question...........

Those of you who have an iPod. Do you copy your music to an iTunes folder or do you just leave the library pointing to 'My Music' for example?

Having a separate iTunes folder would increase the usage of the hard drive but I feel it might keep existing MP3's in the 'My Music' folder safe.

Any iPod users got any strong feeling on this?

Thanks.

Those of you who have an iPod. Do you copy your music to an iTunes folder or do you just leave the library pointing to 'My Music' for example?

Having a separate iTunes folder would increase the usage of the hard drive but I feel it might keep existing MP3's in the 'My Music' folder safe.

Thanks.

I believe you can choose to add to an iTunes folder but don't have to use one. Not able to check at the moment though.

Sorry, this really is the last one!

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to rescan the music folder when you have manually added new MP3's. If you use the iTunes folder and add MP3's to the 'auto add' folder then that works but what of those of us who prefer to keep our MP3's organised manually?

Ta.

Thanks.

You can point it to wherever you like, or just drag files in to iTunes from different locations. But seriously, you have nothing to keep them safe from. It won't suddenly DRM your files if that is what is worrying you.

I keep all of my music on an external. When I add a new album I just click on the 'Add new files', navigate to the folder concerned and it is added.

No fuss, no problems, no losses, organised by band name on the external.

You can point it to any folder you like and it will 'tidy' your music into artist and album folders if not already like that.

I've used iTunes for getting on for 10yrs maybe and I've never once used it for DRM music. All my own DRM free .mp3s and I've never once had a problem with it so stop worrying and get on with it :icon_lol:

You can point it to any folder you like and it will 'tidy' your music into artist and album folders if not already like that.

And in doing so it also renames the original MP3 file, replacing the artist name with the track number.

I've used iTunes for getting on for 10yrs maybe and I've never once used it for DRM music. All my own DRM free .mp3s and I've never once had a problem with it so stop worrying and get on with it :icon_lol:

I've gone past the 'DRM worry stage' now! I've done so much research I'm thinking of putting up an online guide as to how to 'control iTunes :icon_bigg

And in doing so it also renames the original MP3 file, replacing the artist name with the track number.

I've gone past the 'DRM worry stage' now! I've done so much research I'm thinking of putting up an online guide as to how to 'control iTunes :icon_bigg

It only renames it if you want it to, there is a check box not to.

I've never known anyone fret so much before installing a piece of free software!

Last edited:
It only renames it if you want it to, there is a check box not to.

Must have missed that. Hang on..........

Nope. There is an option NOT to use the iTunes media folder but if you do there is no option NOT to rename the files.

I've never known anyone fret so much before installing a piece of free software!

But my MP3 collection is very precious to me Matt :icon_lol:

You may want to check out some of the webpages linking iTunes to monkey Aids. Apparently 73 iTunes users contracted monkey Aids last month. Just goes to show you can't be too careful.

You may want to check out some of the webpages linking iTunes to monkey Aids. Apparently 73 iTunes users contracted monkey Aids last month. Just goes to show you can't be too careful.

I certainly wouldn't share a toilet seat with an iTunes user.

I certainly wouldn't share a toilet seat with an iTunes user.

I wouldn't share my toilet seat with anybody. I'm strictly one at a time when it comes to the shit bobber. There just isn't the room, for starters.

Tamed the bastard. Gonna join the Apple owners ranks tomorrow but I'll never get to 'fanboy' status.

Needs be and all that.............

Must have missed that. Hang on..........

Nope. There is an option NOT to use the iTunes media folder but if you do there is no option NOT to rename the files.

But my MP3 collection is very precious to me Matt :icon_lol:

I use a single music folder and it's never renamed one of my files. I'll have a look when I get to my computer.

Tamed the bastard. Gonna join the Apple owners ranks tomorrow but I'll never get to 'fanboy' status.

Needs be and all that.............

That is what they all say to begin with but stay strong Spion and you'll be OK.

Never thought I'd ever say this, but I may have been wrong about iTunes. I'm liking it more and more as I get more familiar with it. Still need Winamp for those things iTunes won't/can't manage but not at all wary of the big white fruity satan now.

Still not quite a fanboy though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570