Is a top four finish achievable or a pipe dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.
do we have Man City next?

How many genuinely poor performances and poor results have we had though? Three I'd say - Norwich and Southampton at home and Burnley away. That's not bad from 26 matches.

All these have come in our last 12 league games and we've also played the other teams in the top four in that period. Yet, we've still picked up 15 points. If we finished our last 12 games the same way, that's still 65 points. The team currently in 5th (Sheff Utd) would have to win 9 of their last 12 to overtake us.

Taking Man City's issues out of the equation, nobody after Chelsea are getting 60 points or more. We're cruising a top four finish. Once the title was gone, that's all we can do so it's understandable that the aggression isn't quite the same. The players and coaches are not stupid, despite what they'll say in public, they all know that they're walking it and that what they're doing now is plenty good enough.

Our season is already sensational. Our priority is now the FA Cup.
I’d argue we’ve had more than the three bad performances than you’ve mentioned but I take your point. To me it feels like all of the air has come out of our season which also makes me doubt that we’ll put up much of a fight in the cup. And yes after two thirds of the season there is a definite trend among the teams below us of being very inconsistent and not putting us under and pressure. That said, I want to see us finish strongly and get second place and not rest on our laurels.

How many genuinely poor performances and poor results have we had though? Three I'd say - Norwich and Southampton at home and Burnley away. That's not bad from 26 matches.

All these have come in our last 12 league games and we've also played the other teams in the top four in that period. Yet, we've still picked up 15 points. If we finished our last 12 games the same way, that's still 65 points. The team currently in 5th (Sheff Utd) would have to win 9 of their last 12 to overtake us.

Taking Man City's issues out of the equation, nobody after Chelsea are getting 60 points or more. We're cruising a top four finish. Once the title was gone, that's all we can do so it's understandable that the aggression isn't quite the same. The players and coaches are not stupid, despite what they'll say in public, they all know that they're walking it and that what they're doing now is plenty good enough.

Our season is already sensational. Our priority is now the FA Cup.
Excellent post. That's twice I've liked one of yours in as many days. I feel dirty.

Spurs have definitely upped the anti today, tomorrows fixture has added meaning now, Chelski are surely looking over their shoulder!

We need a winning mentality. We need to improve as a team. We need momentum.

Winning 7 of the last 9 in 14/15 gave us the momentum to tear shit up in 15/16 despite a change of manager. We achieved the unachievable.

This dip in form can be avoided next season. But if we end this season badly it's only going to breed fear in December next season. We won't have the confidence to play like dons if this season ends on a downslide even if we qualify for the CL because we'll be scared of having another blip.

Overall yes we've done excellently but the job is far from over. We don't want to crawl over the line we wanna sprint. We want a squad of players who are desperate to win. Desperate to be the best. And that is achieved by not being complacent and playing without fear.

Liverpool have quite possibly played the most matches this season yet find themselves still playing confidently, working hard and not giving up. They aren't the greatest ever squad, they have a squad of motivated, consistent, desperate players who find a way to win. Most importantly they have momentum from last season and this season.

When you find yourself in the thickness of pursuing a goal or dream, stop only to rest. Momentum builds success.

We must finish the season on a high.

Well not a bad round of matches for us all in all with Man U beating Chelsea. 9 pts clear of third with twelve games to go. Shame about Spurs’ last minute winner

Well not a bad round of matches for us all in all with Man U beating Chelsea. 9 pts clear of third with twelve games to go. Shame about Spurs’ last minute winner
Chelsea play Spurs Saturday lunchtime

We need to concentrate on ourselves really. We need to start picking up wins.

We need to concentrate on ourselves really. We need to start picking up wins.
The next two weekends are very tasty indeed most of the top six play each other and could seriously damage their chances of a top four slot. We have Man City at home followed by Norwich away so 3 points out of those two games will do nicely.

Arsenal are at home to Everton shortly and as has been said previously Spuds play Chelski this weekend a draw will do nicely imho. 3 more wins will see the majority of the chasing pack off especially as they all play each other I think we need to win 6 more to be safe and that should be achievable.

We should go unbeaten in March and that will be job done we have Villa at home Watford away followed by Brighton at home that should ensure clear daylight between us and 4th spot. But then again we are Leicester and we love to make it a roller coaster ride :cool:

We'll lose the next two games.

Wondering if the Chelsea win was a good result for us or not. would have been nice to have had a comfortable margin over both teams, so a draw probably better, but it at least retains a ten point margin on spurs whatever happens today. Although Sheff Utd and Man U could well reduce the margin this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363