iTunes is illegal....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcukcov

....in Norway.

iTunes declared illegal in Norway
The Norwegian consumer ombudsman ruled this week that Apple violates consumer protection laws because songs from the iTunes store can only be played on iPods.

The issue should be resolved by 10 October 2007. Apple might open its code to other producers; abandon DRM or jointly develop some new protection system. If the company doesn’t find a solution then the issue will be taken to court with a possibility of closure of the service in Norway altogether.

Some European countries might follow Norway in this action against Apple (Germany, France, Sweden and Finland). The Dutch ombudsman has already “… lodged a complaint not only with the newly formed Dutch Consumer Authority (ConsumentenAutoriteit), which will act as the enforcer of 15 European consumer protection directives, but also with the Dutch anti-trust agency”. (The Register)

Apple responded that it’s “…aware of the concerns … and hopes that European governments will encourage a competitive environment that lets innovation thrive, protects intellectual property and allows consumers to decide which products are successful.”

The IFPI commented that it “thoroughly supported interoperability, but wanted a market solution rather than one imposed by authorities”.

hp

I've been saying this for fecking years.

We were right Jeff!!!!!!!!

I guess this mean that Hovis are illegal as well then, as you can't toast their bread in a VHS
Not really, have you ever tried to toast Mighty White or Tesco's bread in a VHS. All are impossible to do,but I'm sure a good legal eagle could find a loophole somewhere

I guess this mean that Hovis are illegal as well then, as you can't toast their bread in a VHS

Yes but you can use a kenwood toaster or a morphy richards toaster or anther brand so I dont really see your point.:102:

Yes but you can use a kenwood toaster or a morphy richards toaster or anther brand so I dont really see your point.:102:

Ok - I was being a bit facetious, and the example doesn't completely hold water.

My point was that it's nuts to expect everything to be compatible with everything else.

Should Xbox games be illegal as they can only be played on one format, or PS or Nintendo games?

If this decision is applied to everything all versions of entertainment would have to be playable on all hardware - so all console games would have to be open to all consoles, music players would have to cater for all of records/cassettes/CDs/MP3s (or MP4s!)

Films are available on reel, video, DVD, download - they would all have to be able to be played on one machine or some dumbass will sue because their film projector they bought to play the 1933 King Kong won't play the 2004 DVD.

People of Norway - you want to be able to use iTunes, buy a ****ing iPod. You have a different mp3 player - there are shitloads of other sites and services to use. That was my point.

Ok - I was being a bit facetious, and the example doesn't completely hold water.

My point was that it's nuts to expect everything to be compatible with everything else.

Should Xbox games be illegal as they can only be played on one format, or PS or Nintendo games?

If this decision is applied to everything all versions of entertainment would have to be playable on all hardware - so all console games would have to be open to all consoles, music players would have to cater for all of records/cassettes/CDs/MP3s (or MP4s!)

Films are available on reel, video, DVD, download - they would all have to be able to be played on one machine or some dumbass will sue because their film projector they bought to play the 1933 King Kong won't play the 2004 DVD.

People of Norway - you want to be able to use iTunes, buy a ****ing iPod. You have a different mp3 player - there are shitloads of other sites and services to use. That was my point.
spot on

:038::038::038:

Out of interest can I download a song from say Napster and put it on an iPod?

Yeh because it converts. Difficulty doing it the other way however.

Yeah I can imagine its pretty hard to download an iPod from Napster. :081:

Serious now, I thought that if you downloaded from iTunes, you can only put it on an iPod - hence why it is illegal in Norway :102:

Last edited:
Yeah I can imagine its pretty hard to download an iPod from Napster. :081:

Serious now, I thought that if you downloaded from iTunes, you can only put it on an iPod - hence why it is illegal in Norway :102:

Yes you're spot on, because iTunes only does AAC files. But when iTunes gets hold of mp3s or other music files it turns them into AAC files and basically once it's a AAC file, you can only put it on a iPod. So if you want to use iTunes with its vast catalogue and want to play songs on a 'portable player', you can only use iPod. Some of my 'music files' mainly found through blogs, demos and sent through MSN, I have them on iTunes but because it didnt buy them or import through iTunes, they can still be played on another music program or placed onto a disc. It's near impossible to import music you have obtained through iTunes onto a disc.

Basically, Apple are trying to close off the market as they know their iTunes is probably the best 'music file' tool around.

Last edited:
Yes you're spot on, because iTunes only does AAC files. But when iTunes gets hold of mp3s or other music files it turns them into AAC files and basically once it's a AAC file, you can only put it on a iPod. So if you want to use iTunes with its vast catalogue and want to play songs on a 'portable player', you can only use iPod. Some of my 'music files' mainly found through blogs, demos and sent through MSN, I have them on iTunes but because it didnt buy them or import through iTunes, they can still be played on another music program or placed onto a disc. It's near impossible to import music you have obtained through iTunes onto a disc.

Basically, Apple are trying to close off the market as they know their iTunes is probably the best 'music file' tool around.

Never used iTunes to download, I prefer good old fashioned cds! However I convert all my music from CD into iTunes as MP3 format so my mates can put them on their comps MP3 Players and they can be very easily ripped to another CD. Also can you not just use iTunes to convert the songs downloaded from iTunes in AAC format to MP3?

you can burn anything you download from itunes or from your library onto a disc hazz.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93353

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670