Jade Goody

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait, I hope I have a daughter and she grows up using Jade as a role model, She is everything we should want our children to be, Kind, accepting, intelligent, private, and most of all, she had a massive amount of self respect and was never portrayed as one of these modern talentless, money grabbing, racist, media whores. She shunned the reality tv revolution and opposed the dumbing down of television.

Hooooray for Jade, and Hoooray for the person with the insight and good story selection for making the film.

If anyone deserves a film or a 12 page special edition pullout in the the national press, it's the above person.

Oh and a special word for Mr Clifford, he must be commended for not trying to milk the cash cow that is her death, well done Max.

Do i detect a whiff of sarcasm in your post - shame on you?

It is very Daily Mail but his points about the furore are valid.

To me that is where it happens. The problem is not Goody per se as all she has done is maximise her earnings, but rather those for the sake of money who promote the person that is/was Jade Goody. After all the excutives at "Living" will probably make more than Goody. :icon_conf

It also a little uncomfortable to dismiss everyone who has elevated Goody to some kind of TV "Princess" (from a General Public point of view) as I am sure she struck a cord with all those from a similar impoverished background.

I would have given him more credibility if he had attacked those that exploited Goody and created the situation where Goody flourished, rather than Goody herself.

I would have given him more credibility if he had attacked those that exploited Goody and created the situation where Goody flourished, rather than Goody herself.

In fairness, he does attack both

Parky said:
she was projected to celebrity by Big Brother and became a media chattel to be exploited til the day she died.

some sad git is selling the wristband they were given to attend the funeral on ebay... is there no end to this now :(

To me that is where it happens. The problem is not Goody per se as all she has done is maximise her earnings, but rather those for the sake of money who promote the person that is/was Jade Goody. After all the excutives at "Living" will probably make more than Goody. :icon_conf

It also a little uncomfortable to dismiss everyone who has elevated Goody to some kind of TV "Princess" (from a General Public point of view) as I am sure she struck a cord with all those from a similar impoverished background.

You big Puff!! :icon_bigg

some sad git is selling the wristband they were given to attend the funeral on ebay... is there no end to this now :(

Sums it up in a nutshell for me:

Jade Goody 'represented wretched Britain', says Sir Michael Parkinson

Jade Goody represented "all that is wretched about Britain today", Sir Michael Parkinson has said days after the reality television star's funeral.

Goody, who died of cervical cancer at the age of 27, was regarded by many as a national treasure who overcame the disadvantages of her birth to achieve fame and fortune.

Her supporters included the presenter Stephen Fry, who hailed her as "a kind of Princess Di from the wrong side of the tracks". However, Sir Michael was damning in his judgment of Goody and the media circus which surrounded her in life and in death.

Jade Goody's funeral cortege draws thousands"Jade Goody has her own place in the history of television and, while it's significant, it's nothing to be proud of. Her death is as sad as the death of any young person, but it's not the passing of a martyr or a saint or, God help us, Princess Di," he said.

"When we clear the media smoke screen from around her death what we're left with is a woman who came to represent all that's paltry and wretched about Britain today. She was brought up on a sink estate, as a child came to know both drugs and crime, was barely educated, ignorant and puerile. Then she was projected to celebrity by Big Brother and from that point on became a media chattel to be manipulated and exploited till the day she died."

Writing in the Radio Times, Sir Michael named celebrities whom he deemed to be worthy role models. "Certain people gift you ambition. When I saw Tom Graveney I wanted to be a professional cricketer. When I first set eyes on Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca I wanted to marry her. And seeing Alan Whicker on television gave me the idea that a life in telly might be fun," he said, adding: "One out of three ain't bad."

Thousands lined the streets on Saturday to pay their respects to Goody as her funeral cortege made its way from her childhood home of Bermondsey, south London to the church in Buckhurst Hill, Essex. Giant screens relayed the service to the tearful crowd outside, and proceedings were broadcast live on television.

Her coffin was accompanied by floral wreaths which spelled out the 'Jade-isms' which made her famous. One said 'East Angula', a reference to Goody's belief that such a place existed and constituted a foreign country. She left school with no qualifications after a tough childhood on a council estate, with drug addicts for parents. The Channel Four show Big Brother transformed her life and made her a multi-millionaire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669