Jamie Vardy Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
She didn't say thank you when I served her a drink at the greyhound stadium in Nottingham a couple of years ago.

She was probably just focussed on running well in her next race you horrible fecker.

She was probably just focussed on running well in her next race you horrible fecker.

:081:

Sorry Mike and Blaarev, Lako wins.

Last edited:
Me and my lad met him on Saturday prematch, my son won a signed matchball, Jamie also gave him a signed shirt, seemed genuine down to earth nice bloke, good luck to the man, hes proved the doubters wrong and most certainly gets my vote for "player of the year"

Auntie article:

Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy is on the verge of the Premier League and the 27-year-old seems to need a few seconds to take it in.
It's a remarkable prospect for a man who was contemplating giving up the game less than 12 months ago.
And it's all the more remarkable considering he was rejected as a 16-year-old after being told he was "too small", and was playing non-league football as recently as May 2012.
Last season - his first after his £1m move from Fleetwood Town - was tough.
He was struggling for confidence, not scoring, not reaching anywhere near the sort of form that prompted his move and getting plenty grief on social media.
The support of Foxes manager Nigel Pearson - the man who made Vardy the most expensive non-league player in history - and his assistant Craig Shakespeare convinced him to battle through the self-doubt, and the growing number of doubters.
"Yes I did [nearly give up] to be honest with you," Vardy told BBC Late Kick Off Midlands.
"But I had a few chats with the gaffer and they constantly told me I was good enough and they believed in me and stuck by me. I am glad to be showing the faith they showed in me on the pitch.
"I also know a lot of hard work has gone into it on my behalf as well as people believing in me. The gaffer has always said that he believes in me, even last year when I was at a bit of a low. And I am repaying him now.
"It was a big learning curve last year and I have done a lot of work in the off-season. I have come back this year fighting fit and it is paying dividends for me and the club."
It certainly is. This season, Vardy has scored 15 league goals in 33 games to help Leicester to the top of the Championship table.
Last season he managed four in 26 league appearances.
"It was tough," Vardy recalled. "I came into a dressing room with a lot of big names in and I wasn't used to it whatsoever. It did take a lot to get used to and I obviously have now."
Vardy's goals and impressive strike partnership with David Nugent has provided the cutting edge to a team brimming with confidence and quality. Nugent has scored 17 league goals in 35 games.
Barring a complete capitulation, City will be playing top-flight football next season.
Following Saturday's 3-1 victory over Blackpool, the Foxes are 17 points clear of Derby County and QPR, who are third and fourth respectively.
They are also seven points clear of second-placed Burnley, with a game in hand.
The Clarets seem the only realistic challengers for the title, but with eight wins from their last 10 games, it's not as if Leicester are showing signs of letting the pressure get to them.
"It is brilliant," Vardy said. "Obviously the confidence is sky high. We are reaping the rewards of working hard on the training field and transferring it onto the pitch and that is what has got us into the position we are at the minute."
Vardy seems all the more appreciative given the fact his football success has come the hard way.
He was released by Sheffield Wednesday as a teenager and that nearly ended his career.
"As soon as that happened I never thought I would play football again," he said. "It was a real heartache as a kid.
"The reason I got released was I was too small. I wasn't physically built enough. It does hit you hard. I was very angry and upset and that is why I stopped playing for a year."
But he resumed his career at a lowly non-league level and by 2010 he was scoring regularly for Halifax. Within a year Vardy was signed by Fleetwood, whom he helped win promotion to the Football League.
"I have had to go the long way back into it," Vardy said. "But I am happy I have done that because I have learnt a lot of things on the way and it has got me to where I am today."
Following his rejection by the Owls, Vardy was also charged with assault after getting involved in a fight in a pub. He had to wear an electronic tag and was often forced to race back from games to beat a curfew.
"I did get into a bit of trouble back then," he said.
"I am obviously not proud of what happened but it happened so I think things happen for a reason and I have turned my life around now and I am happy the way I am."
The next part of the journey seems to lead towards the Premier League. And although Vardy does not want to dream too much about facing Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal and the rest, he cannot help reflect a little on the progress both he and the club have made.
"We know if we carry on playing as we are, then we will be in the Premier League next season," Vardy added.
"I keep pinching myself all the time because I never thought it would happen but it's on the cards now if we keep doing what we are doing on the pitch.
"Being in the Premier League would be a dream come true."
You can see the Jamie Vardy feature from BBC Late Kick Off Midlands on BBC iPlayer.
Related to this story

Interesting interview and he's an interesting character. You'll hopefully forgive me for saying that he appears to be flaky. When things are going for him, all is good. When he's on form and high on confidence, he's terrific.

When the going gets tough, he's shown himself to be a bit shite. An example would be Saturday when he missed a couple of chances, was caught offside a couple of times and consequently his touch, movement and attitude collapsed and his performance was very poor.

I worry about him in the Premier League with that character. We certainly can't rely on him.

Interesting interview and he's an interesting character. You'll hopefully forgive me for saying that he appears to be flaky. When things are going for him, all is good. When he's on form and high on confidence, he's terrific.

When the going gets tough, he's shown himself to be a bit shite. An example would be Saturday when he missed a couple of chances, was caught offside a couple of times and consequently his touch, movement and attitude collapsed and his performance was very poor.

I worry about him in the Premier League with that character. We certainly can't rely on him.

Hopefully he can learn again from this seasons mistakes and carry this to the premier. He does appear a bit fragile but given a hand and helping his self belief he could be a handful for any premier defence.

A striker will be a must.

Not that I don't rate Vardy or Nugent, but we need someone with a little bit extra in the top flight.

Wouldn't sign just any old striker mind, would rather stick with what we have than get it wrong.

We were rumoured to be interested in Filip Djordevic from Nantes last summer, which seemed a bit of a pipe dream because he was in demand. But he's still there, having turned down a move to Olympique Lyonnais. Might we go back for him (if we were ever interested in the first place)? He seems to tick several boxes in regards to the sort of players we've been looking at. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filip_Đorđević

We were after Helenius who went to Villa for silly money, we offered £400k.

I have faith that Nigel Pearson and his team will set out a very realistic target for Jamie next season, he won't score as many goals but he can't let that affect him.

Many of his goals have come from pressuring the opposition into making mistakes or by chasing lost causes and these things will be few and far between in the Prem. He does have the quality and pace needed though!

He certaintly won't come up against anybody in the top division of the same quality as the Barnsley central defender who he burst past to score the other week.

Last edited:
I have faith that Nigel Pearson and his team will set out a very realistic target for Jamie next season, he won't score as many goals but he can't let that affect him.

Many of his goals have come from pressuring the opposition into making mistakes or by chasing lost causes and these things will be few and far between in the Prem. He does have the quality and pace needed though!

He certaintly won't come up against anybody in the top division of the same quality as the Barnsley central defender who he burst past to score the other week.

Yeh, Vidic is leaving. :(
Rio might still be there, though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48