Jobless... Anyone need a designer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babylon

Can they afford to pay you?

From what I have read, I have to fill in the RP1 form that will be sent to me via the administrators. This form is sent off and the government will pay me the statutory redundancy payment of (£310 a week) for the years I have been there (10 Full years... comes down to 8 due to 5 being under the age of 22) and I will get 10 weeks no notice pay, as I should get one weeks notice for every full year worked. Plus I get any outstanding holiday paid.

I've looked on lots of different sites, not one says you don't get paid or paid less due to a company becoming insolvent. No doubt i'll get shafted somewhere along the line knowing my luck.

Last edited:

MKFox

i got paid virtually **** all when the company i was with went tits up a few years ago.
They owed me 10 grand in unpaid commission.
I eventually got a cheque through for about 8 quid.

Babylon

i got paid virtually **** all when the company i was with went tits up a few years ago.
They owed me 10 grand in unpaid commission.
I eventually got a cheque through for about 8 quid.

How long had you worked there and were you given correct notice?

Last edited:

Babylon

Seeing as Mk decided to scare me i've been doing more research, got plenty of time as i'm now ony sleeping about 4 hours a night!!!!

"If made redundant because your employer has gone 'bust' or into liquidation your redundancy pay is protected and will be paid by the Department of Employment - Section 166 ERA 1966. The protected redundancy pay is only up to the weekly limit announced each April."

foxin_oz

Just a suggestion Babylon, but if you're a graphic designer maybe you could start your own business before you spend all your redundancy pay. I used to be in the graphics industry myself. Failing that surely there are graphic design jobs to be had in the UK? There's certainly a big enough market out there? Try canvassing the larger advertising agencies. Oh and good luck. :)

Nottingham Fox

From what I have read, I have to fill in the RP1 form that will be sent to me via the administrators. This form is sent off and the government will pay me the statutory redundancy payment of (£310 a week) for the years I have been there (10 Full years... comes down to 8 due to 5 being under the age of 22) and I will get 10 weeks no notice pay, as I should get one weeks notice for every full year worked. Plus I get any outstanding holiday paid.

I've looked on lots of different sites, not one says you don't get paid or paid less due to a company becoming insolvent. No doubt i'll get shafted somewhere along the line knowing my luck.

My mum went through this just under 2 years ago. She was paid the same amount from the government as she would have been if it was paid by the employer. From what I can remember, it was paid pretty quick too - approx 4 weeks after sending the forms in.

Babylon

Just a suggestion Babylon, but if you're a graphic designer maybe you could start your own business before you spend all your redundancy pay. I used to be in the graphics industry myself. Failing that surely there are graphic design jobs to be had in the UK? There's certainly a big enough market out there? Try canvassing the larger advertising agencies. Oh and good luck. :)

That's one of my options, I've thought hard about it and with a bit more notice it's probably what I'd have done. But it could take ages to drum up enough business from scratch.

I'm thinking of taking the first job that comes along, then start building up work on the side so I can eventually go it on my own.

Babylon

My mum went through this just under 2 years ago. She was paid the same amount from the government as she would have been if it was paid by the employer. From what I can remember, it was paid pretty quick too - approx 4 weeks after sending the forms in.

That's good to hear.

Sorry to hear that matey.

Do you actually work for a printing company or do you just design the stuff for customers who then get it sorted elsewhere?

It's just a design company. We work with printers in the same building, but the two companies are owned by different people.

Disco Bob

The upside is that you will have lots more time to devote to scanning the forum for news of our next manager.

And the one after that.

Babylon

The upside is that you will have lots more time to devote to scanning the forum for news of our next manager.

And the one after that.

I'm not sure that's a good thing ha.

foxin_oz

That's good to hear.

It's just a design company. We work with printers in the same building, but the two companies are owned by different people.

Maybe the printing company need to look at getting their own graphic designer??? Might be worth talking to them??? :icon_conf

MKFox

How long had you worked there and were you given correct notice?
I was there 3 years. Called to a meeting in the office on a Monday, we were all given £100 cash and told that was it. Signed on on the thursday...

we all got the same whether we had been there 5 years of 1.

Babylon

[/B]

Maybe the printing company need to look at getting their own graphic designer??? Might be worth talking to them??? :icon_conf

Nothing solid unfortunately.

Babylon

I was there 3 years. Called to a meeting in the office on a Monday, we were all given £100 cash and told that was it. Signed on on the thursday...

we all got the same whether we had been there 5 years of 1.

Sounds like you got bloody stiffed to me.

foxin_oz

Nothing solid unfortunately.

Sounds like your other option is best then. Taking the first job that comes along and then trying to build up your own client base. Trouble is with technology these days every Tom, Dick & Harry is a graphic designer. Everyone's gone in-house with their typesetting and printing too. I'd suggest finding something in a different career path if you're young enough. I know one guy that was a typesetter and graphic designer and now he's word processing. Not as glamorous but it pays the bills. Anyway I wish you all the best, I know how you feel I've been there myself. :icon_conf

Babylon

Sounds like your other option is best then. Taking the first job that comes along and then trying to build up your own client base. Trouble is with technology these days every Tom, Dick & Harry is a graphic designer. Everyone's gone in-house with their typesetting and printing too. I'd suggest finding something in a different career path if you're young enough. I know one guy that was a typesetter and graphic designer and now he's word processing. Not as glamorous but it pays the bills. Anyway I wish you all the best, I know how you feel I've been there myself. :icon_conf

Tell me about it. Once i've got everything sorted i'm going to look at studying some web design. As many strings to my bow as possible should stand me in good stead as you can't really do just one discipline anymore, employers want the whole package!!

foxin_oz

Tell me about it. Once i've got everything sorted i'm going to look at studying some web design. As many strings to my bow as possible should stand me in good stead as you can't really do just one discipline anymore, employers want the whole package!!

A natural progression I'd say. Good idea. :)

drew

If you could code i'd talk about a job we have going.

I'm guessing you can't though.

Babylon

If you could code i'd talk about a job we have going.

I'm guessing you can't though.

I could have a stab >001011/Mleont/si:a/mierslbae-cnut/010010111

:icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675