Johansson signs - official

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

It's happened. :038: :038: :) :) ;)

OS said:
Leicester City have completed a major transfer coup in securing the services of Swedish international defender Nils-Eric Johansson from Blackburn Rovers.

Johansson, who cost the East Lancashire club £2.7 million when he signed in 2001, has put pent to paper on a two-year deal with the Foxes and becomes Craig Levein's fifth summer capture.

The 25-year-old Swede can opperate at either centre-half or left-back, and was part of the Rovers side that knocked Leicester out of the FA Cup at the quarter-final stage at Ewood Park last season.

Johansson began his career at AK Solna in his native Sweden, but he quickly gained the attentions of some of Europe's top clubs. He signed for Bayern Munich in 1999 before switching to fellow German side Nurnburg a year later.

'Nissa' never missed a game for his new side, and helped them to promotion to Germany's top division before making the switch to Blackbun in October 2001.

The Stockholm-born defender made 28 appearances for Rovers last season, but was not offered new terms when his deal expired allowing him to make the move to the Walkers Stadium.

Speaking exclusively to the official Leicester City website, he said: "Leicester made their interest in me known pretty early on in the summer. I was out of contract with Blackburn so I came to have a look around the Walkers Stadium and the training facilities. I was really impressed with what I saw.

"The whole place is built for the Premier League and it is our job now to put the club back where they belong."

Johansson was full of praise for Leicester assistant manager Rob Kelly, with whom he worked with at Ewood Park.

He added: "I know Rob Kelly from my time at Blackburn and he is an excellent coach. He worked a lot with the reserves when I first joined the club, but was helping out with the first team in the end. He has got some good ideas. It always helps when you have got a familiar face around.

"I prefer to play at centre half, but I have also played at left back during my career. I will play wherever the manager wants me to.

"I have won three caps for Sweden during my career so far. My first aim is to secure a place in the Leicester City starting line up - I will worry about my international career after that. But it would be good to be involved with the Swedish squad again - especially with the World Cup coming up.

"The team have been working very hard since the start of pre-season and I am now looking forward to getting down to some hard work.

The Foxes fly out to Norway next week to play two games as part of their pre-season campaign.

Johansson said: "Although Norway is certainly not home for me, I may be able to help out a few of the guys if there are any language difficulties.

"There is always a lot of banter when I meet Norwegian players over here in England so I am sure it will be the same over there. I'm looking forward to it."

Johansson becomes the first Swede to represent the Foxes since the popular Pontus Kaamark left the club in 1999. He will wear the number 15 shirt.

Source

He's said he doesn't particularly like playing left back, but will play wherever the manager wants him to. Levein says he sees him as a left sided centre back rather than a left back. So does this mean that we still need to sign another defender? Gerrbrand is just a centre back isn't he? Interesting. Looks like the 3rd player could be a left back then, rather than a striker. I still think we need both though, we need 2 more players to complete the squad really.

Hope we still sign Jacob Timpano though, he sounds promising.

The feeling given at the meeting last night is that we will start the season with Connolly and MDV up front. I don't think we are signing a striker.

Tim was also a little dismayed at peoples attitudes to the coming season. The club feel that we have a good chance of promotion and they are gearing everything around it. Tim was disappointed the supporters weren't of this opinion too.

DurhamFox said:
The feeling given at the meeting last night is that we will start the season with Connolly and MDV up front. I don't think we are signing a striker.

Tim was also a little dismayed at peoples attitudes to the coming season. The club feel that we have a good chance of promotion and they are gearing everything around it. Tim was disappointed the supporters weren't of this opinion too.

I think we do have a fairly good shot at it, and I do think we should start with Connolly and MDV. I'm hoping all of MDV's hard work during pre-season pays off next season, and I think it will. However, we've only got those 2 and Dion, who can't play every game and didn't do very well up front last season. Our biggest problem last season was that we didn't score enough, and while I think we will score more this season, I think we need another striker as cover in case our strikers aren't performing.

Although, we can sign players all the way up to March, so I suppose Levein can always go and sign a striker or get one on loan at a later date if he needs one. And maybe he plans to give O'Grady/Dodds a few chances.

DurhamFox said:

Then those at the Club are being quite frankly, naive. :mad: :icon_sad: :icon_sad: :icon_cry:

Another good signing by Levein, things are slowly starting to look up!

DurhamFox said:
The club feel that we have a good chance of promotion and they are gearing everything around it. Tim was disappointed the supporters weren't of this opinion too.
I think after the disappointment of last season, we are bound to be skeptical of what we can achieve this season. It's going to be a tough season with a number of teams challenging at the top; a top six finish and i'll be very happy.

DurhamFox said:

As soon as we have had some good news im starting to worry again , we need a fricking striker :(

The feeling of the group was pretty similar, Tim gave a good account of the fact we had a strong line up for this year until he got to the front 2 and then the groans started.

I have to say, we do look strong apart from up front although with MDV, Connolly and Dublin we have good players, could maybe do with one more.

Last edited:
O'Brien if we sign him,will score goals and can play up front.He would be a good signing having seen him play.

DurhamFox said:
I have to say, we do look strong apart from up front although with MDV, Connolly and Dublin we have good players, could maybe do with one more.

I agree that we look somewhat light in the goalscorer department, however, I believe CL is still searching for someone to help strengthen us. Thank f**k that donkey Sidibe got greedy - he certainly was not the answer (another Benji/Ade..!!)

BOB HAZELL said:
I agree that we look somewhat light in the goalscorer department, however, I believe CL is still searching for someone to help strengthen us. Thank f**k that donkey Sidibe got greedy - he certainly was not the answer (another Benji/Ade..!!)

We wanted him though Bob, would have signed him if he hadn't been greedy.

DurhamFox said:
We wanted him though Bob, would have signed him if he hadn't been greedy.

I know!....... bit worrying for me, that is......think we should be grateful to Stoke for sparing us his undoubted talents^

DurhamFox said:

Feck...good job MK wasn't there,he's got us relegated already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566