Jones dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/5228936.stm

England squad: Andrew Strauss (capt), Marcus Trescothick, Alastair Cook, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Ian Bell, Chris Read (wk), Sajid Mahmood, Jon Lewis, Matthew Hoggard, Steve Harmison, Monty Panesar.

Its been a long time coming I guess.

I'm not really a fan of either player but Read's performances, for England A particulary, have warranted a recall.

Hazzman said:
I thought Geraint had a small injury anyways, so not dropped as such. Suprised myself they didnt go for Matt Prior

Graveney said it had nothing to do with his injury, all to do with his lack of form with the bat.

Hazzman said:
I thought Geraint had a small injury anyways, so not dropped as such. Suprised myself they didnt go for Matt Prior
I think Prior has a slight injury, he didn't keep wicket against Warwickshire.

He would be my choice too though. Of the four candidates (Jones, Prior, Read, Foster), He is the youngest, the best bat and has the most experience of keeping to a world class spinner (Mushy).

His ODI appearences weren't really a true reflection of his ability. He was sent in as a pinch hitter but he is a good cricketer who can play proper cricket shots.

Disappointing imo. With so many injury problems i don't think chopping and changing the side too much will be very beneficial to us. Ironically the standard of his 'keeping' was not great but he scored runs. Now his 'keeping' has been much better but his battings gone awol. Should have stuck with a winning side imo perhaps with the exception of sajid Mahmood

pds said:
Graveney said it had nothing to do with his injury, all to do with his lack of form with the bat.

Thought it was harsh of them to come out and say that. Keep it vague and it's fairer on Jones and there's less pressure on Read as well.

Prior didn't do very well at all in the ODIs IMO. Read deserves the chance.

I heard Read interviewed for the first time today. Can't believe how posh he sounds.
Right little public school boy.

So who should be England keeper?

I'll make you let your own minds up with these stats ;)

Batting:
Nixon 423 runs @ 47.0
Prior 613 @ 43.78
Davies 566 @ 37.73
Foster 422 @ 32.46
Read 329 @ 27.41

Dismissals per game.
Foster 3.9
Davies 3.8
Nixon 3.2
Prior 3
Read 3

Last edited:
CM said:
So who should be England keeper?

I'll make you let your own minds up with these stats ;)

Batting:
Nixon 423 runs @ 47.0
Prior 613 @ 43.78
Davies 566 @ 37.73
Foster 422 @ 32.46
Read 329 @ 27.41

Dismissals per game.
Foster 3.9
Davies 3.8
Nixon 3.2
Prior 3
Read 3

Tom New :icon_wink

I don't agree with changing a winning side, whilst no player should be immune from being dropped, I dont believe it is sensible in making unnecessary changes especially with the current crop of injuries, IMO we need to retain as much of the experience that we can, also Read has had numerous opportunities and also failed.

If the change was felt to be necessary then it should have been somebody like Foster or when back to fitness Luke Sutton.

I just think its odd to drop Jones now. Hes just had his best game behind the stumps for England and there are only two tests left before the ashes. If we were going to drop him it should have been earlier so a replacement had time to settle into the side.

I think he does deserve to go though, he really hasn't been good enough in either discipline.

Also, Luke Sutton isn't good enough with that bat to get into the side. I'm a firm believer that we need someone who can make hundreds at number 7. Which is why I'm not entirely convinced by Read

Last edited:
CM said:
I just think its odd to drop Jones now. Hes just had his best game behind the stumps for England and there are only two tests left before the ashes. If we were going to drop him it should have been earlier so a replacement had time to settle into the side.

I think he does deserve to go though, he really hasn't been good enough in either discipline.

Also, Luke Sutton isn't good enough with that bat to get into the side. I'm a firm believer that we need someone who can make hundreds at number 7. Which is why I'm not entirely convinced by Read

Interesting that Duncan Fletcher was only mildly praiseworthy of Monty Panesars efforts. IMO DF as been very good for England, but he seems an hard task master. Monty imo is worth is place in the side no matter how poor the other side of his game is. Its the first time in years i've enjoyed watching an England spin bowler, and he can definitely be threat to the Aussies in the Ashes series.
I agree with you on the Jones saga.

Jones was brought into the team to be "Gilchrist" type player i.e. score a siginificant amount of runs at number 7. There was talk initially that he was good enough to bat in the top 5!!!
He was and still is a very average wicket keeper incomparable in class to Chris Read.
His batting has come nowhere near the original expectation whereas Read has averaged nearly 50 in first class cricket since he was dropped.

The swapping of Read for Jones is completely justified and logical IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669