Just realised that I'm ****ed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well thanks a bunch PR, I've just read that and reconsidered everything! I've got a couple of university offers waiting and I feel exactly the same as you did, my mates are doing it and my parents are expecting a lot from me too. I feel at the minute as though I'm going (grades permitting) for the sake of it and even though I'm looking forward to the course and leaving home etc, I doubt that I'll be any good at it or if the interest will last. Being incredibly unmotivated doesn't help; as I type this I should be revising, doing one of several essays I need to get done or even catching the bus to be a college in time for my lesson at 11.15.

I was applying for student finance and accomodation the other day and it hit me that I can't act like a kid all the time, even though I desperatly want to spend most of my time with mates or playing footie. I think this is one of the reasons I've been swept along into applying to universities without really asking any questions first. I think your decision to take a step back and do what you wanted was a very mature one, and something I may have to consider too.

Well, I hope what I wrote doesn't cause you to make the wrong decision. It's a different situation for everyone.

For me personally, I think it was the best thing for me to do, because I was just tired and demotivated from education and needed to take a couple of years out and I didn't want to wrack up debt for doing a degree in a subject I didn't even really want to go into. I'm planning on going uni either next summer or the summer after and I'm really looking forward to it now, whereas before I was just looking at it as something I was going to do, I didn't really have any excitement or aspirations regarding it.

For some people, uni can be a great thing though, even if you don't carry on the course after it. It may well actually be going to uni and leaving home that makes you "not act like a kid all the time" (in your words) and causes you to mature as a person, so it could be worth it simply for the experience of it and how it affects you as a person.

:icon_lol:

In truth though, I think everyone's had a moment like Harbs is having now. I'm 20 and don't plan on going uni for another year or two, but when I was 18 and just finished my A-Level I had accepted to go to uni and everything, but pulled out at the last minute. I think I had a similar summer just before that. Just felt like at that time I was wasting my life and I had no clue what to do with my life and was going into do a degree which I didn't think I would enjoy just because I thought I had no better options.

In the end I decided to work for a couple of years and I'm so glad I did rather than going to uni, I had applied for an English degree really just because all my friends were going uni as well, but I really didn't want to do it. Now I've gone back and am doing an A-level in biology part-time while also working part-time, which I find way more interesting and is a subject I could actually see myself enjoying doing, or enjoying finding a job in that field of work for the rest of my life.

Also, find it way easier to motivate myself to do it this time round now I have an idea that I want to do it at uni, I got lazy to say the least A-levels first time round, I blagged a bunch of Cs and Bs, but realistically I knew I could've done a lot better if I'd put the effort in. Deciding not to go uni first time round, I think was the best decision I ever made. At 18, I just didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and I think a lot of people don't either and just go to uni for the sake of it.

Excellent post, but you are still going out and getting exams, rather than binning education off.

Well thanks a bunch PR, I've just read that and reconsidered everything! I've got a couple of university offers waiting and I feel exactly the same as you did, my mates are doing it and my parents are expecting a lot from me too. I feel at the minute as though I'm going (grades permitting) for the sake of it and even though I'm looking forward to the course and leaving home etc, I doubt that I'll be any good at it or if the interest will last. Being incredibly unmotivated doesn't help; as I type this I should be revising, doing one of several essays I need to get done or even catching the bus to be a college in time for my lesson at 11.15.

I was applying for student finance and accomodation the other day and it hit me that I can't act like a kid all the time, even though I desperatly want to spend most of my time with mates or playing footie. I think this is one of the reasons I've been swept along into applying to universities without really asking any questions first. I think your decision to take a step back and do what you wanted was a very mature one, and something I may have to consider too.

You can act like a kid at uni, I did and I didn't even move out of home. That is my biggest regret actually, I wish I'd moved out in my second year.

Excellent post, but you are still going out and getting exams, rather than binning education off.

That's true. I guess one good thing is that nowadays education is always there for you later in life, if you don't want to do it now. There's a woman in my bio class in her late 40s who's doing full-time A-Levels and wants to go and do a Chemistry degree afterwards. Fair play to her.

Its never too late to get the career you want - I had no idea what I wanted to do at school either and have ended up working in offices ever since... although now I am looking at a change of direction and just need to find the funds to pay for the courses I need to do.

Its never too late to get the career you want - I had no idea what I wanted to do at school either and have ended up working in offices ever since... although now I am looking at a change of direction and want to be a fluffer.
:038:

They most surely do, God bless 'em

:icon_conf erm

Fluffers or Fluffies has been used as a name for workers on the London Underground who would clean hair, dirt and dust from the tunnels at night when no tube trains run.[1] The work was often done by hand by female workers.[2]

That's from Wiki, but I heard it on QI originally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Blackburn 00
2Bristol City00
3Burnley00
4Cardiff City00
5Coventry City00
6Derby00
7Hull City00
8Leeds Utd00