Keith Weller

Status
Not open for further replies.
I first started going down in the Jock Wallace era, by then I think he was on his way out. I don't think Jock rated him. I'll always remember his goal against Norwich in the cup in those white tights.

Yeah Stringfellow i remember him, you can tell this was the 'golden age' cos i can remember 'em all whereas if you asked me to name 10 Leicester players from the last 10/15 years i'd probably struggle.

Who was the balding keeper that played after Shilts was it Wallington and then there was the defender Whitworth, Dennis Rofe.

Last edited:
Yeah remember him, you can tell this was the 'golden age' cos i can remember 'em all whereas if you asked me to name 10 Leicester players from the last 10/15 years i'd probably struggle.

Who was the balding keeper that played after Shilts was it Wallington and then there was the defender Whitworth, Dennis Rofe.

he's not bold, he's not bold

I cant believe you lot have forgot about Steve Simms.............

Us Lincoln lads have to stick together :icon_lol:

It is remarkable that at one point Leicester had three players in the England team - Shilton, Weller and Worthington; and it was an England team not one of these mass substitution efforts.
We had just got promotion from the old Second Division. Jimmy Bloomfield had already bought Jon Sammels. Then on the same day he bought Weller and Birchenall. I realised then that Leicester were serious about being a top club. Shortly after Jimmy bought Frank Worthington. Notice that everyone of his buys became a superb player. What a manager! That seems to have been where the money ran out. We were two or three top players short of really challenging Liverpool or Leeds.
Lenny Glover was a superb club winger. However, there were better left wingers in the country such as Thompson of Liverpool. Weller was, in my opinion, easily the best right winger in the country. Regardless of whether Worthington or Lineker were better players Keith Weller was easily the most exciting Leicester player I have ever seen.

Regardless of whether Worthington or Lineker were better players Keith Weller was easily the most exciting Leicester player I have ever seen.

To me Keith was so much more than a winger. When he came to us he was a ball playing midfielder and he played there until he moved to Stamford Bridge.

When he went to Chelsea i don't think they felt they could accomodate him in midfield as they already had the likes of Hudson and Hollins so he was asked to play wide from where he managed to top their scoring charts and score against Real Madrid in Athens in the CWC Final.

Keith Weller was not only a great footballer he was a much underestimated one IMO no matter whose badge he happened to be wearing at the time.

Weller was great but Wortho was better.

Glover was fun

Birch was trash, more like martin henderson.

Banks is probably the greatest Leicester player I saw play - though not my favourite player - that'd be wortho or Youngy with one of many central defenders close there

As a Lions fan

an opposition fan who is being pleasant, ****ing hell. I'm too young to remember Weller but for all I've heard he was a great player, can't wait to the trip down to your ground this season too :icon_lol:

Birch was trash, more like martin henderson.

It seems to be fashionable to knock the Birch well I am always out of fashion. I remember him as a brave, unselfish and hardworking player. He was better in midfield than as a striker since he rarely gave the ball away. He was an ever present and valuable member of perhaps the best team Leicester has had. How can you compare him with a player who cannot get in what is really the Third Division.
To compare him with more recent players I dont think he was as good as Lennon and Issett but better than Robbie Savage. He was certainly a world better than any player we have had in the last few years.
If you want trash then De Fries, Carl Cort and Nathan Blake fit the bill not someone who helped get us to FA Cup semifinals and the top half of the top division.

As an old 50 plus a bit year old bstrd was quite simply the best player have ever seen in a Leicester shirt,and ive seen em all since i was 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Blackburn 00
2Bristol City00
3Burnley00
4Cardiff City00
5Coventry City00
6Derby00
7Hull City00
8Leeds Utd00