Keith Weller

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to America a year later, so never saw Shilton myself. However, from all accounts he was so good even at 17 that City did not miss Banks that much. I believe that selling Dougan was a far bigger mistake. Dougan had a lot of flair as well as talent, and so was a big fan favourite. He also was temperamental and outspoken, and so may have been sold as a result of falling out with a director or Gillies.

Agree with your assement of that season ending 100%. Big disappointment to a great year. We had fun at Wembley though.
Always rated Banks at the top of the tree and was sad when he left. At least Shilts didn't let us down. I remember the day Dougan left, one of the most disasters to happen at the time, so charismatic, skillful. He was adored by the fans. Changed things greatly. We never had a player like again till Worthington arrived but there were to many years inbetween.

Cheers for the responses. Interesting stuff anyway.

Strange that Dougan never seems to get mentioned that much as an LCFC great, when he was so key to that team and we missed him so much when he left.

Last edited:
Strange that Dougan never seems to get mentioned that much as an LCFC great...

I'm on record as having admitted that it was the infectious baying of the word "Doooooog" whilst raising the right arm in a mock Hitler-like salute that turned me into a City fan - but it remains a fact that he was at the club for less than two years. He was seen as a journeyman and a large section of the crowd labelled him as a showman and, despite his goalscoring record, failed to take him to their hearts. Besides, City were a selling club - Dougan was somebody who moved often - so his departure was always going to happen, wasn't it?

Fair enough. I know he is really well loved at Wolves though.

Fair enough. I know he is really well loved at Wolves though.

Whoa! I'm not saying he was not really well lo... eeerrr... liked at Leicester. In fact, he was. We just got over it, accepting it as the rule of both the man and the club. And don't forget he spent a far longer period at Molineux - about 4 times the short period he was at Filbert Street.

You may be comforted to know that on the day of the announcement of his departure, a small group of grammar school boys from Rugby eschewed their normal break-time bun-buying habit to save their money for a visit to a nearby telephone call-box in the lunch-hour. Having dialled the LCFC number they launched into a carefully rehearsed foul-mouthed invective to convey their opinions on the news. OK - they only spoke to the receptionist but I'm sure she would have passed their message on to the board.

One of those boys vowed that he was henceforth a Wolves fan and set out to hitch-hike to Huddersfield on Easter Monday for his hero's debut in an old gold shirt. Having only reached Barnsley by kick-off time he went to Oakwell to see their game against Halifax (ffs) and soon afterwards resolved that Marvin's bus from North Street to Western Boulevard was far easier and so returned to the City fold.
:icon_wink

Whoa! I'm not saying he was not really well lo... eeerrr... liked at Leicester. In fact, he was. We just got over it, accepting it as the rule of both the man and the club. And don't forget he spent a far longer period at Molineux - about 4 times the short period he was at Filbert Street.

You may be comforted to know that on the day of the announcement of his departure, a small group of grammar school boys from Rugby eschewed their normal break-time bun-buying habit to save their money for a visit to a nearby telephone call-box in the lunch-hour. Having dialled the LCFC number they launched into a carefully rehearsed foul-mouthed invective to convey their opinions on the news. OK - they only spoke to the receptionist but I'm sure she would have passed their message on to the board.

One of those boys vowed that he was henceforth a Wolves fan and set out to hitch-hike to Huddersfield on Easter Monday for his hero's debut in an old gold shirt. Having only reached Barnsley by kick-off time he went to Oakwell to see their game against Halifax (ffs) and soon afterwards resolved that Marvin's bus from North Street to Western Boulevard was far easier and so returned to the City fold.

:icon_lol:

:081: Nice one

One piece of trivia. I seem to remember Keith having a brother Paul Weller (same as the crooner) who had a trial with Leicester while his brother was in the first team. If I remember correctly he had a game in Leicester's reserve team but clearly did not impress Jimmy Bloomfield enough to sign him.
Having had a trial for a good First Division side presumably he was good enough to play at a lower level I wonder what happened to him.

One piece of trivia. I seem to remember Keith having a brother Paul Weller (same as the crooner) who had a trial with Leicester while his brother was in the first team. If I remember correctly he had a game in Leicester's reserve team but clearly did not impress Jimmy Bloomfield enough to sign him.
Having had a trial for a good First Division side presumably he was good enough to play at a lower level I wonder what happened to him.

There was a footballer called Paul Weller who used to play for Burnley. Not old enough to be the one you're talking about though.

High David it was phil weller not paul, i am keith younger brother and yes i did have a trial with leicester, and i signed pro forms with the club in 1974 i was there for 2 seasons so something must have impressed jimmy bloomfield, it was a great experiance for me and i also went on to play for northampton town, i only wish i was as good as my brother god bless him.

it was phil weller not paul

No crooning then?

What I want to know is who alerted you to the fact that you had (almost) got a mention here.

I think the better thing to say is "Welcome Phil". It is of little importance how you got here but that you are here. The great Keith Weller's brother has friends here, no doubt.

No crooning then?

What I want to know is who alerted you to the fact that you had (almost) got a mention here.

I don't think he's got the hang of using forums. He received an email notification that someone had replied to the thread, so he sent a reply by email instead of posting here. He's not the first person to do that and I'm sure he won't be the last.

This is what his reply said: "A mate of mine in the states told me about this, and i do sing a bit "

I have no reason to suspect he's not who he says he is.

Let me be another to say welcome Phil. I apologise for not realising you did impress Jimmy Bloomfield - you must have been good because he was a superb judge and did not impress easily.

I saw you play in a reserve team that from Carl Jayes in goal to David Tomlin on the left wing played some very good football. It must have been something to train with people like Peter Shilton, Frankie Wortho, The Birch and of course Keith.

I don't think he's got the hang of using forums. He received an email notification that someone had replied to the thread, so he sent a reply by email instead of posting here. He's not the first person to do that and I'm sure he won't be the last.

This is what his reply said: "A mate of mine in the states told me about this, and i do sing a bit "

I have no reason to suspect he's not who he says he is.

yep your right but im sure il get the hang of it,

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673