Kent cc home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good bowling performance and a good start to the second innings potentially being wasted by the usual batting collapse, to 148-5 last ball of the game.

Jefferson and Boyce fail to turn good starts to fifties, and it's really frustrating to see Cobb and Smith failing again.

Before this game, Cobb only averaged 14 and Smith less than 10.

That is appalling. I genuinely had high hopes for both, but they are failing time and again.

From the perfect vantage point of my armchair / teletext it seems to me that Jigar Naik is one of the few successes this season - in fact I'm not sure he gets a fair crack of the whip. Granted if we're going with one spinner Henderson is still ahead, but Naik seems to take wickets and have a decent economy rate, and yet half the time only bowls half the number of overs of anyone else. 5-34 yesterday and a couple of key wickets.

Looks like a decent game about to be shafted by the rain, but at least we managed a 3 figure second innings score this time. Things are looking up...

Before this game, Cobb only averaged 14 and Smith less than 10.

That is appalling. I genuinely had high hopes for both, but they are failing time and again.

Cobb is developing towards being primarily a one day/t20 player. I think he is exceptional in those formats and wonder if this pathway is going to be a common thing amongst emerging young batters. He's done much better this years and looks sharper in the field now etc - evident on the first day of this Kent game.

Smith is a different situation - perhaps its difficult to sustain development when you miss much of the Championship season through studies. I also think he is misplaced at No 3. He doesn't demonstrate now the range of shots that you would normally want in that position. Trouble is that if he opens with Boyce then they could get bogged down and the innings doesnt get away with sufficient momentum.

I think the biggest issue is the wicket keeping - or rather New's inability to make a decent batting contribution. He's slipped down the order to about as far ashe can go and frankly dosn't look any better with the bat than Henderson or Naik - let alone White who has moved on a bit with his batting.

Cobb has been picked for an England development squad to play a one-dayer against Sri Lanka A on Monday which is a fair call-up given his one day form.

Given his undoubted talent in that form of the game I still hold out some hope that something will 'click' and he will learn how to play a championship innings, he is still only 21 after all.

As for Naik, Paul Jones from the mercury has been suggesting an England Lions call-up and he might not be far wrong. Suspect there aren't many other English spinners with better records over the past 2 years. The Times was complimentary today too.

Cobb is developing towards being primarily a one day/t20 player. I think he is exceptional in those formats and wonder if this pathway is going to be a common thing amongst emerging young batters. He's done much better this years and looks sharper in the field now etc - evident on the first day of this Kent game.

Smith is a different situation - perhaps its difficult to sustain development when you miss much of the Championship season through studies. I also think he is misplaced at No 3. He doesn't demonstrate now the range of shots that you would normally want in that position. Trouble is that if he opens with Boyce then they could get bogged down and the innings doesnt get away with sufficient momentum.

I think the biggest issue is the wicket keeping - or rather New's inability to make a decent batting contribution. He's slipped down the order to about as far ashe can go and frankly dosn't look any better with the bat than Henderson or Naik - let alone White who has moved on a bit with his batting.

Leicestershire need a new keeper in the close season, no doubt about it.

One issue might be what sort of contract New has, as LCCC don't and won't have a big squad now or next season.

Nixon retiring does I suppose open up a bit of the budget.

On the point raised about Naik, I've seen him a few times and he's not a bad batsman either. I'd agree he's been unlikely not to play more. He's impressed me in all formats of the game, as has Malik when I've seen him.

Leicestershire need a new keeper in the close season, no doubt about it.

One issue might be what sort of contract New has, as LCCC don't and won't have a big squad now or next season.

Nixon retiring does I suppose open up a bit of the budget.
On the point raised about Naik, I've seen him a few times and he's not a bad batsman either. I'd agree he's been unlikely not to play more. He's impressed me in all formats of the game, as has Malik when I've seen him.
New signed new three years contract during the 2009 season - I suspect that that sees him through until the end of the 2012 season. I agree about Malik. Good championship bowler but I think his current contract expires at the end of this season. Du Toit's contract I think runs until the end of the 2012 season.

Good stuff from New today though, just the kind of innings we need from a WK-batsman. And even if he is out first ball tomorrow Thakor has probably booked his place in the side for the next match!

Let's hope we are positive and set them a target after an hour or so and give Jigar and Claude a chance to do their stuff.

Kent appear to have steadied the ship 239-6

Last edited:
A decent day's play and a fair result. Some people were moaning at the end that we hadn't been positive enough in the declaration or that we could have continued to try to bowl them out for a few more overs. Bur I thought Henderson got it about right on both counts.

Cobb has been picked for an England development squad to play a one-dayer against Sri Lanka A on Monday which is a fair call-up given his one day form.

Cobb top scored for England in this game, which turned out to be a 31 over affair, with 35

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669