LCCC First X1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Lad

What do people think will be the first X1 next season?

With all the comings and goings I come up with something like this:

1 Jefferson
2 Boyce
3 Taylor
4 Cobb
5 New
6 McDonald
7 Benning
8 White
9 Henderson/Naik
10 Hoggard
11 Harris/Malik

Think that is a pretty inexperienced/weak 2 through 5 despite Taylors heroics last season. Asking a bit much of the young guys at the top. We are crying out for an experienced head (like Ackerman) to steady any wobbles. Not sure what cover we have (if any) to deal with injury, loss or form or rotation in this department?

Also not sure where Nixon will fit in. Heard he is pretty fed up at Leics now as well although I did see him the other day so is obviously still around (for now).

have we lost all of the saffers?

If Nixon is at Grace Road next season then I think that he should open with Jefferson. Boyce plays some decent shots and is another left hander but I don't think that he did enough last season to justify starting the season ahead of Nixon, especially with other youngsters probably high in the batting order.

If Nixon is at Grace Road next season then I think that he should open with Jefferson. Boyce plays some decent shots and is another left hander but I don't think that he did enough last season to justify starting the season ahead of Nixon, especially with other youngsters probably high in the batting order.

I'd agree with that, especially after Nixon's big ton late in the season. Matt Boyce would need to progress a lot during the winter to get a starting place for a 3rd year in a row.

I think that Nico has earnt the right to open the batting after proving himself in that position at the back end of last season.

Boyce has had chance after chance to impress and rarely does so, so it would be Nixon for me to open with Jefferson in 2010.

I wonder what he situation is with Malik for next year? His first season was very impressive but after spending all of last season on the sidelines and with his name barely being mentioned, is he really a serious contender to get a starting place come April?

I think that Nico has earnt the right to open the batting after proving himself in that position at the back end of last season.

Boyce has had chance after chance to impress and rarely does so, so it would be Nixon for me to open with Jefferson in 2010.

I wonder what he situation is with Malik for next year? His first season was very impressive but after spending all of last season on the sidelines and with his name barely being mentioned, is he really a serious contender to get a starting place come April?

Malik's career injury record is truly woeful and I was quite surprised that we ever took him on. To be honest I've forgotten what is actually wrong with him but there wasn't any indication last April that he would be out for the season. I think that he has a further season left on his contract.

I agree that he looks a better of class of pace bowler than the average county trundler - but I think it's against the odds that he will play for any sustained period.

What about Gurney,Wyatt and Nathan Buck?

None of them have really pulled up any trees when given an opportunity, so they will need to bide their time again. We need an attack that can take wickets in May 2010, not in 2012.

Saying that, Wyatt did OK before getting injured for most of the season, so will be interesting to see how he gets on next year.

None of them have really pulled up any trees when given an opportunity, so they will need to bide their time again. We need an attack that can take wickets in May 2010, not in 2012.

Saying that, Wyatt did OK before getting injured for most of the season, so will be interesting to see how he gets on next year.

I agree with all that - all three are young enough to improve and realistically perhaps one of them might improve enough to be a regular first team player.

In my opinion it's become too easy to get into the county first team and it's time that the young bowlers had to compete a bit more to get a place.

On the more general, I think it was becoming clearer by the end of last season that David Smith etc realised that something proper needed to be done following fiascos like the team turned out for the Edgbaston Pro -40 etc ....and credit where it is due, it looks like we may well have something to look forward to next season apart from the end of the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00