League one players that have impressed and that we could sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEN3

Which opposing players have you been most impressed with in League One this year, and could do a job for us in the Championship?

I would suggest the following:

Lee Hughes - Oldham. Can still do it at that level IMO.
Chris Taylor - Oldham. Pacey, tricky right winger.
Simon Cox/Ricky Lambert - pretty obvious why they are in the frame.
Craig Mackail-Smith - Peterborough. Run us ragged in the second half at London Road.

I quite like George Boyd from Peterborough but they will no doubt keep him now that they have been promoted.

i really think that NP, Craig and Walshie will be reading this thread for ideas.

Last edited:
I've seen him play a few times over the past couple of seasons as I live not far from Peterborough. Certainly, he's a very skilful player. His lack of pace may be a problem in the Championship. As regards Mackail-Smith and McLean - can they do it in the Championship? Another good Posh player is Zakuani - very solid at the back (came from Fulham)

No way Lee Hughes tosser.

Simon Cox
Chris Taylor
Neil Eardley
Zak Whitbread
David Martin (Milwall)
Gabriel Zakuani
Craig Mackail Smith
Peter Leven
Fabian Delph
Sam Sodje
Paul Hayes
Joe Murphy
Gary Hooper
Giles Coke
Mark Yeates
Rickie Lambert
Danny Graham
Diagoura(sp) Hereford
Myrie - Williams

Would all be good.

Last edited:
I forgot to add Gary Hooper. Looked quite pacy on Friday night, even with the injury he sustained early on. We need pace up front to stretch teams. Howard's had a great season, but we need someone with more pace.

Not being funny but we went for higher class/placed players to win this league ,why would we take anyone from Div1 to play in the Championship.

some good players coming down from the prem this season and some more going out of the Championship as well .

Blimey

Not often I say this, but you are absolutely spot on Newts

Not being funny but we went for higher class/placed players to win this league ,why would we take anyone from Div1 to play in the Championship.

some good players coming down from the prem this season and some more going out of the Championship as well .

Morrison - Cambridge in the Conference.
Dyer - MK Dons in League 2 at the time.

If a player is good enough, it doesn't matter where they come from.

There will have been players in the same Arsenal and Liverpool youth teams as Gilbert and Hobbs who will never even play league one football in their careers... do you class their youth teams as higher than league one?

Morrison - Cambridge in the Conference.
Dyer - MK Dons in League 2 at the time.

If a player is good enough, it doesn't matter where they come from.

There will have been players in the same Arsenal and Liverpool youth teams as Gilbert and Hobbs who will never even play league one football in their careers... do you class their youth teams as higher than league one?

That was not my point at all .if MM wants to push for the prem we must get higher class players than we did this season.

the two players you have quoted are good and as you say there are a few good players in div 1 ,but we must look higher IMO to get anywhere next season.

And yes some of the youth team players are higher class than some div 1 players.

Cleveland Taylor at Carlisle. A pacy, tricky right-winger who gave us a bit of a roasting in both home and away games. And he's a Leicester lad as well !

That was not my point at all .if MM wants to push for the prem we must get higher class players than we did this season.

And the point I showed before is that higher quality players, don't always come from the division above.

From what you were saying it seems as though you are ruling out anyone currently playing lower than the championship. Which is bonkers imo.

And yes some of the youth team players are higher class than some div 1 players.

Some being the key word. It doesn't matter where they come from as long as they are better players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669