Leeds Utd 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIF

Stockdale - Made a couple of necessary saves, nearly scored for them, didn't look in real control in the box, distributed well. kept a clean sheet.
Morrison - was great in defence despite playing out of position and nearly scored up the other end. really impressed today.
Hobbs - was great in defence - we'll have an extremely solid central defence if he stays with Morrison and Tunchev +
Brown I liked his grit. Got in Becchio's grill and didn't back down despite getting the yellow - getting old but played well today.
Mattock Still plays his age but can't fault his perfomance much - weakest defender on a very good back row.
King Couple of decent shots, couple of good passes, robbed a couple of times.
Oakley Played well if not outstandingly - probably needs to be upgraded next season with a ferocious tackler.
Gradel If King had this kids fight and determination he'd be a superb player. A couple of wasted corners but often drew 3 defenders on runs and often got the pass in, crossed for the goal. Was wide open a few times without getting the ball. worked hard in defence. I love his heart and play. Could be a great player.
Dyer MOTM today, skinned their defence time after time, deserved a goal. wonderful game.
Howard Looked fantastic all game, controlling balls and laying them off, was open for passes and worked tirelessly in defence too. The goal was one of the goals of the season, screamer from long with the head.
Fryatt Had a couple of chances which he should have done better with, played a decent role but I'd be happy to see him sold on for big cash and replaced up front with someone with more pace. seroiusly lacks speed.
NP Headed and kicked every ball, prowled, directed, screamed. The time of manager this club needs.

Post Match Leeds Thread

1-0 Howard
What a fantastic result. Well done Leicester! I thought we played well against a decent side and although they had a couple of chances I thought we were generally the stronger side. Dyer skinned his man time and time again, if his delievery had been a little better at times we could have scored more. Brown and Hobbs were really solid and I thought their distribution was good. Morrison and mattock also defended well and i was pleasantly pleased with their distribution. Oakley for me was excellent. Kept the ball well and made some excellent challenges - especially when he tried to cut becchio in half. Howard was a man mountain and deserves a good rating just for pure nuisance factor.

What a fantastic day.

Heres my player ratings:

Stockdale 7

Morrison 7
Brown 8
Hobbs 8
Mattock 7

Dyer 9
Oakley 8
King 7
Gradel 7

Howard 8
Fryatt 7

Subs:
Dickov 7

Pearson 10

Hard to understand why Dyer has been so woeful recently. Thought he was excellent today.
Good team performance in general.

Stockdale - Made a couple of necessary saves, nearly scored for them, didn't look in real control in the box, distributed well. kept a clean sheet.
Morrison - was great in defence despite playing out of position and nearly scored up the other end. really impressed today.
Hobbs - was great in defence - we'll have an extremely solid central defence if he stays with Morrison and Tunchev +
Brown I liked his grit. Got in Becchio's grill and didn't back down despite getting the yellow - getting old but played well today.
Mattock Still plays his age but can't fault his perfomance much - weakest defender on a very good back row.
King Couple of decent shots, couple of good passes, robbed a couple of times.
Oakley Played well if not outstandingly - probably needs to be upgraded next season with a ferocious tackler.
Gradel If King had this kids fight and determination he'd be a superb player. A couple of wasted corners but often drew 3 defenders on runs and often got the pass in, crossed for the goal. Was wide open a few times without getting the ball. worked hard in defence. I love his heart and play. Could be a great player.
Dyer MOTM today, skinned their defence time after time, deserved a goal. wonderful game.
Howard Looked fantastic all game, controlling balls and laying them off, was open for passes and worked tirelessly in defence too. The goal was one of the goals of the season, screamer from long with the head.
Fryatt Had a couple of chances which he should have done better with, played a decent role but I'd be happy to see him sold on for big cash and replaced up front with someone with more pace. seroiusly lacks speed.
NP Headed and kicked every ball, prowled, directed, screamed. The time of manager this club needs.

agree with all of that

soccernet.com

Steve Howard struck a dramatic injury-time winner to take Leicester to the brink of automatic promotion back to the Coca-Cola Championship after a 1-0 win against visiting Leeds.
The champagne looked destined to remain on ice until the striker rose majestically above the United rearguard to power home a header from a Max Gradel corner.

The result means Leicester will go up at the first attempt if MK Dons fail to beat Bristol Rovers in their afternoon kick-off.

City were the better side and had Leeds under the cosh from the start with a Lloyd Dyer effort deflecting to safety off Sam Sodje and goalkeeper Casper Ankergren diving at full-stretch to keep out Gradel's 20-yard drive.

Ankergren then beat away an Andy King header before Leeds almost silenced the home crowd with a bizarre goal, but Gradel came to Leicester's rescue when he cleared off the line after David Stockdale had punched a Robert Snodgrass corner against the underside of the bar.

After the break Stockdale had to make a double save to keep out Richard Naylor's close-range header before the busy Ankergren produced good stops to keep out Andy King and Matt Fryatt.

Ten minutes from the end Andy Robinson evaded Jack Hobbs to fire in a 20-yard shot which Stockdale was forced to tip over.

And the game appeared to be heading for a stalemate until Howard intervened with his 13th strike of the season.

Hard to understand why Dyer has been so woeful recently. Thought he was excellent today.

Really did, I was only disappointed in Fryatt.

I didn't realise how fast dyer actually is. made his man look like he was running in toffee!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great game, very enjoyable. Very suprised there was only one goal in the game.

My only slight negative is that it took us 90 mins to deliver a decent set piece, whereas everytime Leeds had a corner or a free kick in a promising position I was convinced they would score.

But that's promotion secured - yes I know not mathematically yet but I would put everything I have on it.

Cheers NP for a great season - lets win the remaining 3 games to finish off the season in style.

Great game, very enjoyable. Very suprised there was only one goal in the game.

My only slight negative is that it took us 90 mins to deliver a decent set piece, whereas everytime Leeds had a corner or a free kick in a promising position I was convinced they would score.

I agree. When Gradel stepped up to take that corner I was wondering why him again!

I can't really disagree with FIF's assessment of things today either.

Well done City! And really glad to see Dyer back on form. He was awesome.

Last edited:
I agree. When Gradel stepped up to take that corner I was wondering why him again!

Oakley's corners were worse I thought.

I loved NPs post match interview, he made me laugh out loud several times

Stringer: Tim Flowers picked out Wayne Brown and Llyod Dyer as the key players today.

NP: Good for him.

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

One of the most satisfying games in living memory. Dyer just oozed class all game. Hobbs, Brown, Howard, Gradel, Stockdale and Morrison were all fantastic too

I'd agree with that aswell. May be a bit harsh on Mattock, thought he had a good game.

I'd be happy to see Fryatt sold on and replaced by someone like Simon Cox. Maybe offer a part ex deal? I just don't think he fits in all that well. Not fast enough to be drifting so far out wide so often and not strong enough to be up on his own with little support.

Ironic we should score from a corner because I thought until that our use of set pieces had been pretty poor. We deserved the win though, edged them for quality on the whole.

Dyer was outstanding. Howard excellent. Apart from that, I thought nobody particularly stood out. It was a decent team performance against a poor Leeds side. Both Leeds full backs were absymal.

After 6 draws in our last 7 home games, it looked like yet another home performance where we looked to have the beating of the opposition without actually doing it.

It did feel like a proper football match though. Thankfully, we'll be in a much better league soon enough. Well done NP - you've made very few mistakes over the last 8 months and handled yourself really well.

Game was slightly spoilt by those stupid fecking lines all over the place after allowing the rugger halfwits to play there. Should never have been allowed.

Last edited:
King, Mattock and Fryatt were all poor today.

He actually chased a defender with some intent on one occasion today. It's the first time I've seen him do it since he signed his new contract.

However, apart from that he was again very poor. If he played 46 Championship games for us next season, I'd be very surprised if he scored 6 goals. He is far too slow (in pace and thinking) against decent opposition.

Sell in the summer NP. We can do much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566