Post Match Leicester 1 Aston Villa 2

We have to accept that we’re gonna concede goals. Where we can excel is in attack. Use our players with speed, flair and direct play. Like Mavididi, Facundo, etc showed today, were better when we have creativity.

The game was decided by quality in each half which Villa had more of. But anyone who says “Villa outclassed us” are wrong. It was a very close match and we did well against a strong team.

Today the ref was shit btw.

We were competitors be and nothing really written no with the performance overall.

Villa just had more quality, guile and rhythm craft than us.

Pleased with the performance.
Okay let’s try the first sentence again:

We were competitive throughout and nothing really wrong with the performance overall.

That was a good game.

Villa were rattled by us. They didn't play at all like they wanted or expected to. They resorted to the dark arts to get by.

The ref ruined the game as the contest it should have been with his ridiculously whistle happy performance. Most of the yellow cards were silly. He stopped the game far too often and Villa benefited most from this. At one point in the second half, I reckon that he'd had more touches than Vardy.

I really liked the performance of Ayew. Very Claridge like in terms of getting his backside into the opponent and winning free kicks. Clever player.

I understood the role Ndidi was given - to sit on Tielemans and stop them dictating the game - and it generally worked. But his touch is just so poor nowadays that I can't see him surviving as a starter for much longer. Especially when Skipp is now here. His off the ball play was exceptional at times.

Fatawu once again looked a bit of a luxury player in a team that isn't able to carry them. Again, he'll be a sub soon. I'd prefer Mavididi on the left and Ayew on the right.

We've definitely improved since the first game. I liked the changes Cooper made. You can't really argue with the effort or the intent. We're just going to face better teams than us most of the time. I still think we're overplaying. In fact, I think we're more at risk of conceding a goal nowadays from our own goal kicks than the opposition having a corner.

Too many fans still think we're able to compete with teams like Villa. We were better than them a few years ago so it's a harsh medicine to take. We're just not that club any more.

I think most players played well, but I wasn't convinced by Okoli. He was too slow and missed too many tackles, I suspect Vesty would have done better if SC wanted a physical presence.

That was frustrating, weren’t it, and not just the incompetent buffoon of a ref.

Because Villa were a bit shit. Not in a BN ‘Man City are shit’ way, but in a bang average ordinary there for the taking way. They’re a pale shadow of the team from last season imo.

Starting with three defensive midfielders just played into their horrid shitty hands for a full hour. We huffed and puffed and battled away, but didn’t lay a glove on them. Might be wrong but the only actualshot on goal I can remember was that limp effort from Skipp at the end of the first half. The front three never stood a chance.

I love Wilf, but he ain’t a Premier League level attacking midfielder, and he was the stopping point for almost everything when we were in possession. The change should have come at half time, as we were lucky to go in at just 1-0 mainly thanks to Mads and Watkins playing a bit like Daka. Awful.

The change should definitely come by the hour mark. We were putting them under some pressure and they shat their pants. Sadly we left it way too late and were 2-0 down when it finally came. We have to be braver than this or we’re ****ed.

The good thing is that the changes had a massive impact. Play braver and we are a real ****ing threat. They resorted to every trick in the book to slow us down, but we were by far the better team for that last twenty minutes. I know not everyone agrees, but Mavididi carries our greatest threat. He is not the best player in the squad, that’s for sure, but he is by far the most dangerous. Please play him FFS. Same goes for Buonanotte. He must play instead of Ndidi, as Skipp and Winks are more than enough to do the defensive pivot thing.

Be brave. Please. Cos I genuinely think we could have won this game, let alone get a draw, and it was our own fault that we didn’t.

Oh and I’m sure it wasn’t a free kick for their first, but just take a look at how we defended it. ****ing hell, that was hideous

Some very dubious refereeing decisions. We’ve a right to be upset, I think with the refs general performance.

As for us?

Cooper put out a team to be hard to beat. It doesn’t work. He needs to put our best players on the pitch. Mavididi made a huge difference, as did Bruno.

Okoli i really like the look of. He will, however, get sent off a few times in his career.

I think you have to pick two of Winks, Wilf and Skipp to pair with Bounanatte.

There will be a lot of “pat on the head, good effort from plucky Leicester” this season, I fear.
Who the feck is Bruno?

I like Fatawu, I think we probably all do, but he’s not helping us at the minute. That’s not to say that he can’t, but it’s all a bit much for him currently. He is constantly caught out defensively, just watch their second goal, as he doesn’t have a clue where Digne is. He was completely taken out of the game by a basic give and go. I thought Justin did well in general today, as he’s really having to work hard at the minute.

As others have said, Mavididi looked good today, we’d probably be better set with him on the left, with a more defensive minded player like VK in behind him and putting Ayew on the right.

Okoli looked a little nervous in possession but he gives us something we need in terms of physicality (size) and also decent pace.

Aside from the above, we were much better today. Okoli looked good, he may dive in at times, but I thought he looked decent and the crowd seemed to too. Our shape was better from the off though, as it felt like we took the game to them more than the last couple of matches.

I’m not sure if the ref was right or wrong in terms of his decisions, but it felt like he didn’t control the game well at all. He looked out of his depth to be honest, although I’ve no idea how many games he’s done in this league.

Overall I came out of the ground feeling like we were better again this week though. We do need to keep improving, but at least it looked better in general than the last couple of league games.

I like Fatawu, I think we probably all do, but he’s not helping us at the minute. That’s not to say that he can’t, but it’s all a bit much for him currently. He is constantly caught out defensively, just watch their second goal, as he doesn’t have a clue where Digne is. He was completely taken out of the game by a basic give and go. I thought Justin did well in general today, as he’s really having to work hard at the minute.

As others have said, Mavididi looked good today, we’d probably be better set with him on the left, with a more defensive minded player like VK in behind him and putting Ayew on the right.

He doesn’t benefit from ‘ze new system’ - The approach is for Kristiansen to push up on the left, and the left sided forward to then come inside. This means that Justin effectively stays back to be the third defender of three - so Fatawu operates completely unsupported, apart from by Ndidi who cannot do that job properly. It’s gonna take some getting used to.

When Mavidid came onto the pitch we did the opposite - with Justin pushing forward and Kristiansen staying back. Unfortunately Fatawu was off by then

I think he will benefit massively from having Buonanotte (or someone better than Ndidi) playing on his inside

It's an 'if only' game.

We started with no creativity and we were always going to struggle to make chances. If we'd have started with Mavididi and Buonanotte, we'd have been in a much better position to make a game of it in the first half.

We were better when the changes came and could have nicked a point. The facts are simple though, it's another game in which our first half performance was dreadful and it's another game without points. Pretending that is anything but another disappointment is foolhardy. It was good to see some fight and a reaction to going two down though.

We have to take points when the opportunity presents itself and that means we have to be much braver in our team selection. Setting up to stifle the opposition rather than actually win a game is the path to relegation.

We really must learn lessons faster. There'd have been very, very few people who wouldn't have wanted to see Mavididi and possibly Ricardo in today's lineup based on the first two games.

I like the look of Okoli. He's a big old unit and he's aggressive. That was a very good start from.l him.

If we'd have started with Mavididi and Buonanotte, we'd have been in a much better position to make a game of it in the first half.

Given the way Villa started the game with the space Bailey and Watkins found, I suspect that had we started with more attacking players, we would have been out of the match by half time.

He doesn’t benefit from ‘ze new system’ - The approach is for Kristiansen to push up on the left, and the left sided forward to then come inside. This means that Justin effectively stays back to be the third defender of three - so Fatawu operates completely unsupported, apart from by Ndidi who cannot do that job properly. It’s gonna take some getting used to.

When Mavidid came onto the pitch we did the opposite - with Justin pushing forward and Kristiansen staying back. Unfortunately Fatawu was off by then

I think he will benefit massively from having Buonanotte (or someone better than Ndidi) playing on his inside
Maybe, I just feel like our balance was better when we did shift it. As I said, it actually makes more sense that way anyway, as Kristiansen is a naturally more defensive player, so the shape seemed to be better when we did switch it.

Given the way Villa started the game with the space Bailey and Watkins found, I suspect that had we started with more attacking players, we would have been out of the match by half time.

Swings and roundabouts

I suspect we would have put them under a much more concerted press and squeeze at the back, and almost certainly created our own opportunities to score

Unfortunately we’ll never know, and we’ll just walk away with no points anyway because we set up how we did from the off

I think Cooper was a little unlucky with the subs today tbh.

That second half we seemed to have things under control and Villa barely threatened until that superb header for their second.

I don't think we were crying out for the subs just then and he was planning to bring some more attacking players on around 65/70 mins which would have been perfect but it really was a stunning header.

I think he definitely deserves to be let off on the changes today, hopefully he learns to be a bit more adventurous earlier but we can't afford to play that midfield 3 against many teams at home.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Liverpool49
4Aston Villa49
5Brighton48
6Nottm F48
7Chelsea47
8Newcastle37
9Brentford46
10Manchester U46
11Bournemouth45