Post Match Leicester 1 Barnsley 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What worries me more is the tactics he is deploying in cutting out the midfield and hoofing it long to Nudgent who had no support from another striker or our midfield.

If these are the tactics we can expect long term - and let's face it we weren't too far away from this in his previous tenure - then he will certainly lose a large proportion of the crowd and his better 'players'.

Horrible, horrible football to watch, I think the 'just like watching brazil' chant should be amended in our case to 'just like watching paint dry'.

I said this before but we've been doing it all season, not just under NP but under SGE too and IMO we're not actually playing hoofball as a team, it's just that Mills and Konchesky are playing hoofball. Peltier doesn't hoof it, Tunchev or Bamba don't, the midfielders don't and the forwards don't. Most of the squad actually plays short passes to someone in space, but almost every single time they get the ball either Mills and Koncheksy just try and hoof it are those two are just as much, if not more, at fault for our lack of creativity than any of our midfield imo and this was as much true under SGE this season as it was under NP. In modern football, attack comes from the defence and defence from the attack.

I'd like to see Kennedy given a run in the team over Konchesky and I would like to see someone come in for Mills who is much less of a hoof merchant too (unfortuantly we have no one atm) and then see if the style of football changes (and I firmly believe it would).

Last edited:
I want us to consolidate this season, there I said it, I don't want us to go up.

I want us to get rid of - Wellens, Gally, Beckford, Pantsil, Howard, St Ledger, Berner, Ball, Johnson.

I then want Pearson to bring in players he see's fit for the need of our club as it stands today, I want him to assemble a team that wants to play for Leicester and shows a bit of hunger, I want the trouble makers to **** off, I want us to become a TEAM, not a squad full of payday seeking individuals, I want us to create the spirit we had in league 1 (including the deluded fans)

All of these things point to me wanting the manager to have time, he knows the problem, that much was obvious from his post match interviews with Stringer. He needs to build a squad, a mentality and an ethos which befits a modern Championship side, we need to become like Norwich, Swansea etc.

My main wish is for the fans to allow the above to happen, I must be deluded.

I seem to remember it being a much batted about stat just before the play-offs started that we had taken the most points from the other play-off teams throughout the season than the the other 3: did the double over Blackpool and beat Cardiff and Forest at home in the league season too (though lost to them both away). We also took points off Newcastle as well.

Sorry it was the away form in those games that was bad.

I want us to consolidate this season, there I said it, I don't want us to go up.

I want us to get rid of - Wellens, Gally, Beckford, Pantsil, Howard, St Ledger, Berner, Ball, Johnson.

I then want Pearson to bring in players he see's fit for the need of our club as it stands today, I want him to assemble a team that wants to play for Leicester and shows a bit of hunger, I want the trouble makers to **** off, I want us to become a TEAM, not a squad full of payday seeking individuals, I want us to create the spirit we had in league 1 (including the deluded fans)

All of these things point to me wanting the manager to have time, he knows the problem, that much was obvious from his post match interviews with Stringer. He needs to build a squad, a mentality and an ethos which befits a modern Championship side, we need to become like Norwich, Swansea etc.

My main wish is for the fans to allow the above to happen, I must be deluded.

It is my wish too Lako but it is the owners who need to give the manager time just as much as the fans. This wont happen despite it being obvious that those teams who have survived the longest and been most successful once promoted are those with a long term vision, stability in the management and having belief in their style of football. I think Pearson can do it, I think Sven could have done it and so could a number of others if given time.

We should never havd sacked Sven. That was a knee jerk reaction to the fans rather than the football we were playing or the position the tea, was in. The performances have steadily declined for the duration Pearson has been in charge. It alooks like he is trying to recreate his last team at Leicester and has forgotten that that did not work. I find it strange that all of the players we have been slagging off have played worse since Sven left. Pearson is slowly backing himself into a corner with the players and the club. I don't think that we should sack him though! We have no choice in giving Pearson a long period of time to sort things out.

Can I think we were wrong to sack Sven but also think it is wrong to sack Pearson?

Is that allowed?

Seems like it isnt ok to think Both are a victim of circumstance? Plugged into a system destined to fail?

Can I think we were wrong to sack Sven but also think it is wrong to sack Pearson?

Is that allowed?

Seems like it isnt ok to think Both are a victim of circumstance? Plugged into a system destined to fail?

That's my ethos. Although I do think Pearson was also the wrong appointment and I'm not happy he's here but now he has been appointed he needs a fair chance.

Is that allowed?

Of course you can! I would disagree, for one reason: has it occurred to anyone that the return of Pearson has split the squad into an us and them; Sven's signings must feel they are not so much part of things as Wellens & co? A situation that Pearson helped to create.

Either Pearson dismantles Sven's squad and buys a dozen new players (is this what we should read into his latest pronouncements?), or, we get a manager who judges the squad on footballing talent. I know which I think is both cheaper and likely to lead to a settled squad the quicker.

Of course you can! I would disagree, for one reason: has it occurred to anyone that the return of Pearson has split the squad into an us and them; Sven's signings must feel they are not so much part of things as Wellens & co? A situation that Pearson helped to create.

Either Pearson dismantles Sven's squad and buys a dozen new players (is this what we should read into his latest pronouncements?), or, we get a manager who judges the squad on footballing talent. I know which I think is both cheaper and likely to lead to a settled squad the quicker.

There are definitely splits in the squad, but that was evident last season and there have been reports that many of the old guard were frustrated that players of no better ability were coming into the club on far better wages, this isn't down to Pearson but to Sven and the board who sanctioned such ridiculous wages to players who had achieved very little and did not justify such lucrative contracts. The worst part of all this, is taking the midfield as an example, Erikson bought in a number of high profile signings, Fernandes, Johnson and Danns and yet he continually turned to Wellens and King as his main selections, Danns was largely deployed out of position if he played, Fernandes flitted in out of the team and Johnson hardly made an appearance. If Sven didn't have faith in them, then I fail to see why Pearson should, the problems in the dressing room have been apparent long before Pearson came back.

The following line up of; Scheichel, Peltier, Mills, Bamba, Konchesky, King, Abe, Danns, Gallagher, Beckford and Nugent should be easily good enough to get consistent results in this league. Aside from form and confidence issues, on paper or on past history, all are good enough at this level. Major surgery on the personnel isn't the answer.

However, we have no back up or competition for places as the support players are non existent or terrible. We have no reserve team to develop competition either. We have employed two completely different type managers to lead this group with completely different approaches to the game. We have no consistency in tactics, personnel or form. We have made wild claims about where we're heading without having the plans in place to deliver this. We have fans who are sick and tired of years of stunted enthusiasm. There is also the stench of discontent both on and off the field.

NP says he knows what's wrong and is going to sort it out. He must be supported. In any line of business, a changed approach will often lead to short term performance issues when working towards medium to long term improvement. We have to accept this, especially when you change a manager mid season. Yes it's painful viewing right now but that's where we are. I booed the team on Saturday because they deserved it. However, I back NP and I think most of these players are a lot better than the performances they're putting in at the moment.

It's another shitty season. No more, no less. It's not like we're not used to them. One year soon enough, we're going to get it right.

My concern is that we seem to have lost the ability to attract half decent players from smaller clubs. Maynard did not want to join us from Bristol and now Sharp has stated he would rather stay at Doncaster! Whats that all about? It says to me that there is something wrong behind the scenes as we have the money and can pay the wages. With having ambitious and wealthy owners and a great stadium - you would have thought such players would jump at the chance to join us so what is going on?

Prof style long, repitive rant below. :icon_lol: (It'll be my only one of the week, I promise. :icon_wink)

The following line up of; Schmeichel, Peltier, Mills, Bamba, Konchesky, King, Abe, Danns, Gallagher, Beckford and Nugent should be easily good enough to get consistent results in this league. Aside from form and confidence issues, on paper or on past history, all are good enough at this level.

If you're basing this on past history, Pantsil should be there ahead of Peltier, Ball ahead of Bamba, Johnson ahead of Abe, Oakley ahead of King and Howard ahead of Gallagher.

All good enough for this level - yes.
Any of them good enough to lead the line for a promotion chasing side and for a promotion chasing side to be built around at this level - no.

We have no star players who can really make something happen, none of our players who can genuinely lead the line and stand out. It's not that they aren't decent or good Championship players, it's that that's all our squad is full of and that's what most of the Championship is full of. We don't have any players who really stand out and who we can really build the team around. No one to organise the defence, to create something from nothing or to score goals consistently.

That's exactly the problem, people keep being sucked in by names and "this player used to play in the PL" or "this player was part of a play-off side in the past" etc. but none of these players were ever the star players in those sides that those sides were built around, they were all just "cog players". Kerrea Gilbert was a regular in our League One winning side, he now plays non-league football, we had virtually no decent keeper and a crap left-back throughout that entire season, Andy King wasn't really fantastic that season and neither was Bruno Berner in midfield either (though both played well the following season), but still won the league because we had the players who make the difference. Based on the past few seasons it seems to me you don't really need 11 players who are "proven at this level," you don't need 11 solid or good players like Nugent, Konchesky, Danns, King, Peltier etc. you only need 4 or 5 of them, what you need to stand out is 3 or 4 star players who will win you games and that's what we have none of atm, bar maybe Kasper. Again, judging by past instances, I think you can actually afford to carry 2 or 3 crap players as regulars in promotion winning sides.

If you look at the Southampton team, most of their regulars aren't any better than ours on paper, but if you look at Nottingham Forest's or Ipswich's team most of their regulars aren't any worse than ours on paper either. The Championship is extremely close in terms of quality, there isn't really that much between any clubs in this division in terms of quality, it's those star players with something extra who set the teams apart and that's what we and that team you listed completely lacks. It's Adam Lallana, Jack Cork, Jose Fonte and Rickie Lambert who set Southampton apart from us, not David Connolly, Dean Hammond, Frazier Richardson or Danny Fox (and Connolly has been one of these in his past history, but that should mean nothing as to what he is now).

In that sense, I think we're only 3 or 4 players short, the problem is these 3 or 4 players are the players you build your team around and they're the hardest players to find.

Last edited:
Prof style long, repitive rant below. :icon_lol: (It'll be my only one of the week, I promise. :icon_wink)

If you're basing this on past history, Pantsil should be there ahead of Peltier, Ball ahead of Bamba, Johnson ahead of Abe, Oakley ahead of King and Howard ahead of Gallagher.

All good enough for this level - yes.
Any of them good enough to lead the line for a promotion chasing side and for a promotion chasing side to be built around at this level - no.

We have no star players who can really make something happen, none of our players who can genuinely lead the line and stand out. It's not that they aren't decent or good Championship players, it's that that's all our squad is full of and that's what most of the Championship is full of. We don't have any players who really stand out and who we can really build the team around. No one to organise the defence, to create something from nothing or to score goals consistently.

That's exactly the problem, people keep being sucked in by names and "this player used to play in the PL" or "this player was part of a play-off side in the past" etc. but none of these players were ever the star players in those sides that those sides were built around, they were all just "cog players". Kerrea Gilbert was a regular in our League One winning side, he now plays non-league football, we had virtually no decent keeper and a crap left-back throughout that entire season, but still won the league because we had the players who make the difference. Based on the past few seasons it seems to me you don't really need 11 players who are "proven at this level," you don't need 11 solid or good players like Nugent, Konchesky, Danns, King, Peltier etc. you only need 4 or 5 of them, what you need to stand out is 3 or 4 star players who will win you games and that's what we have none of atm, bar maybe Kasper. Again, judging by past instances, I think you can actually afford to carry 2 or 3 crap players as regulars in promotion winning sides.

If you look at the Southampton team, most of their regulars aren't any better than ours on paper, but if you look at Nottingham Forest's or Ipswich's team most of their regulars aren't any worse than ours on paper either. The Championship is extremely close in terms of quality, it's those star players with something extra who set the teams apart and that's what we and that team you listed completely lacks. It's Adam Lallana, Jack Cork, Jose Fonte and Rickie Lambert who set Southampton apart from us, not David Connolly, Dean Hammond, Frazier Richardson or Danny Fox.

In the team you listed, it seems to me you are only looking at the names and the teams they used to play for rather than looking at that player's role in those past teams and what they actually bring to the table and that is no one in that side you listed brings a history of being a great organiser at the back, no one in that side you listed brings proven creativity to the side and no one in that side is a proven prolific goalscorer above League One level. Not that they aren't solid or good players, it's that they're all solid or good players, there's no great players who we can build the team around in there.

What a dumb comment, where are Pele, Bobby Moore, Eusebio, Gordon Banks?

What a dumb comment, where are Pele, Bobby Moore, Eusebio, Gordon Banks?

I think you missed my point. I agree with you, my point was about how Brown Nose was basing this on a player's past history and not what they are now, which is silly.

In that case Pantsil should be our best player as in recent years he has had the best career and highest acclaim of anyone in our squad and on paper he was our best signing in the summer. Whereas Peltier has never played above League One level before this season, but I'm not sure many would want Pantsil in the team ahead of Peltier right now.

Last edited:
At the time Sven's sacking felt unfair and a rushed decision.

Now - seeing the talentless bunch of overpaid idiots that he brought in with no logical thinking made into squad depth or player happiness - it feels like the best decision the board has ever made.

They are clearly not talentless though, they just don't work as the unit they are assembled into and at the minute there are no other options.

On Brown Noses reserves point, I heard someone mention on TalkSport that there are no reserve leagues any more at all, is this the case? I always thought it was a case of us opting out, but is there anything to opt in to?

They are clearly not talentless though, they just don't work as the unit they are assembled into and at the minute there are no other options.

On Brown Noses reserves point, I heard someone mention on TalkSport that there are no reserve leagues any more at all, is this the case? I always thought it was a case of us opting out, but is there anything to opt in to?

All Premier League clubs must field a reserves team in the Premier League Reserves League, that is why they kicked out the Championships teams. There are reserves leagues that league clubs can sign up to but Nigel doesn't like reserves football and has told the club he doesn't want reserves football in the past.

All Premier League clubs must field a reserves team in the Premier League Reserves League, that is why they kicked out the Championships teams. There are reserves leagues that league clubs can sign up to but Nigel doesn't like reserves football and has told the club he doesn't want reserves football in the past.

Actually, NP said on the phone-in with RL he wished we were in a reserve league. It was SGE who opted out of the reserves league saying he prefered to arrange friendlies when they were needed.

Last edited:
Actually, Nigel said on the phone-in with RL he wished we were in a reserve league. It was SGE who opted out of the reserves league saying he prefered to arrange friendlies when they were needed.

That's crap, Nigel made a big stand against joining a reserves league when he was manager first time around, Milan had almost completed signing us up to a league when NP threw his toys out of the pram. Nigel told a forum meeting that reserves football was a waste of time and because you had to fulfill the fixtures put pressure on the squad.

I think you missed my point. I agree with you, my point was about how Brown Nose was basing this on a player's past history and not what they are now, which is silly.

In that case Pantsil should be our best player as in recent years he has had the best career and highest acclaim of anyone in our squad and on paper he was our best signing in the summer. Whereas Peltier has never played above League One level before this season, but I'm not sure many would want Pantsil in the team ahead of Peltier right now.

Where IS Pantsil btw?? Have I missed something? Is he injured or just out of favour? Not seen or heard mention of in weeks. Apologies if this has been brought up already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669