Post Match Leicester 3 Southampton 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh! Sorry Spion, silly oversight on my behalf. :icon_wink
Another one outsourcing his thinking. How odd.
Hello again old friends,

Saw today's game. My concern from pre-season / first few games was that a brand new defence takes a long time to gel compared to a brand new attack and that's what we've invested in this season. So while we weren't conceding many goals pre-season it was inevitable we'd concede a fair few in the first ten games, especially as Sven has this preoccupation with slow build-up play from the back which just encourages Championship son-of-a-bricklayer centre halves (not centre backs) to give the ball away.

The great thing about the last few games is that he's encouraged us to be more adventurous and take the pressure off the defence. The back line will sort itself out, given time, any new side needs goals (see Blackburn '91). That said, defensively, I think Pantsil and Bamba are rather suspect - luxury defenders - on the other hand I've seen Mills enough for Reading to be sure he'll end up a good player if Sven stops asking him to be Franz Beckenbauer. Who knows, maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway - as regards the "how dare you criticise our boys in blue" brigade (always a fair few of them on here, hope you're still thoroughly enjoying the capacious collective anal cavities of the Leicester board) - well, this was nowhere near a Championship winning side. Sorry to disappoint you. It needs a striker, a winger and a long long time for that. But it was a step forward; in my down-at-the-feet-of-the-almighty-lord-humble-opinion.

Have a wonderful summer. And look after yourselves.
Still capable of switching between astute observations and gibberish without blinking then syd? Nice of you to drop in :thumbs_up

Top bombing by HTB. Well done. It seems easy to forget that there is another team out there doing their best to take points from the game. It's all one way traffic in the analysis...maybe the other team just played really well?

Old Syd, can't say anything without twisting the knife in someone can he?

How many teams have played at the KP?

5 including us?

No way Saints are the best.

Great win, really happy with the result. First half both teams sounded to play well but we looked sharp for once. I fell asleep at half time and woke with 5 mins on the clock left. Kind of glad I missed the last 40 heart in mouth minutes. Hopefully build on this win and push on.

New striker? Seems unlikely, but a few days is enough time to bring someone in on loan.

How many teams have played at the KP?

5 including us?

No way Saints are the best.

Great win, really happy with the result. First half both teams sounded to play well but we looked sharp for once. I fell asleep at half time and woke with 5 mins on the clock left. Kind of glad I missed the last 40 heart in mouth minutes. Hopefully build on this win and push on.

New striker? Seems unlikely, but a few days is enough time to bring someone in on loan.

We can continue to loan players after the window closes

Again a great result for the city,i too went to the game,ive seen them all so far this season ,home and away.I just have one concern though ,and that is why did we have to go defensive again in the second half,i feel sure we would have been better keeping in the shape we had first half,it just had a bit of the same way we played at forest,other than that a great 3 points taken from a very good side .

Good first half. Sat back and invited them on second half. Kasper was outstanding and kept
us in the game. A little concerned we have conceded 2 goals a game for the last 5 games.

We can continue to loan players after the window closes

One week gap between the end of the window and the date on which loans can start.

Correct. No games in between though, so the effect is the same.

I was trying to forestall the impatience which we are bound to see later in the week.

Glad we're taking our time on getting a striker and not making panic buys. Having watched Miller's first half against Wham it's nice to know we avoided that one.

Glad we got the points but would love to ask the ref a couple of things. Firstly, did you forget your red card? If not, why did Danns and Vassell both finish the game after committing dangerous fouls? Danns could have walked twice but he bottled it both times. Secondly, why was City's third allowed to stand after Bamba climbed all over Lambert? Without the benefit of replays, my first thought is that Saints have every right to feel cheated by the ref. I love to see my team win but it's less fun when it feels like we were assisted by incompetent refereeing. I fully expect Madrid Fox or whatever his name is will be getting his pen out again...

Mmmm I'm quite sure the Forest fans were not saying the same thing last week. One weeks it's against and one it's for you, it's football and with the standard of reefing in this league it will continue and certainly even itself out over the season.

Super football from start to finish. It really was

We were excellent first half. Could have had four or five IMO - not counting our third as Bamab seemmed to be rogering their player up the arris

Astonished that Sven chose to change it round after that. A simply incomprehensible decision that could (and should) have cost us the game. They pissed all over us as a consequence, and I still can't quite work out how they didn't score three or four against our panicky Keystone Cops patrolling the back four.

Having said that, we did beat the best footballing team we have played for many a long time. If they manage to bring in another striker and a centre back I'd put a lot of money on them getting automatic promotion. They were excellent

Scores on the doors:

Schmeichel - 8 kept us in it in the second half, putting everything and anything in the way of the ball. Distribution is also outstanding
Pantsil - 4 Comedy defending for the first, and in the lead up to the second. Wasteful in possession and all over the place in the last half hour
Konchesky - 8 super going forward in the first half. Absolutely outstanding defending in the second.
Bamba - 4 scary feckin' shit, man. Jeebus wept
Mills - 4 piss ppor all round
Wellens - 8 simply wonderful in the first half, controlling everything. Swamped in the second as we sat 15 yards deeper than we should have been
Fernandes - 7 Never stops, outstanding in the last half hour
Danns - 6 some good, some bad, some awful. Looks good in combination with Konch coming forward
King - 6 some great attacking midfield play in the first half. Some awful 'don't know what the feck to do' play in the second
Schlupp - 7 super stuff in the first 45. Wasted on the wing in the second
Vassell - 7 good stuff all round, but knackered after 70 minutes

It was an incredibly tense ending and Saints fans may well feel they deserved a draw.

People not at the match must find it very difficult with such disparate rating from different people there. With some reservations I think Homer's is the most accurate. For me he has been a bit harsh on Bamba and a bit generous to King, Vassell and Schlupp. King was not involved enough in the second half. He has talent as shown by the assist for Vassell's goal but does not look as good as last season.

Vassell and Schlupp looked good for most of the match but ran out of steam toward the end just when we needed energy most. To be fair to Schlupp he was an immense improvement on his last match and had some superb moments. This is the first time I realised what potential he has got - but we missed Nugent.

I was surprised that tedfoxx gave Pantsil 6 and amazed that he gave Mills 7. I would give Pantsil 5 at the most and agree with Homer's 4 for Mills. Pantsil may struggle to keep his place ahead of Lee Peltier. From the amount Sven paid for him I expected Mills to be superb and to frank I have yet to be convinced. He may be lucky that St Ledger made such a bad error against Bristol City since I am not sure Mills is the better of the two.

Kasper did very well and looks to have solved our goalkeeping problems although some of the praise seems to me excessive and perhaps based on supporting a lad who had a bad time last week - nothing wrong with that.

I will leave the best till last. For me Wellens was easily our best player and had everything - the skill of King (which we are not seeing often enough) and the energy of Fernandes.

Unless I had missed it nobody has mentioned the Schlupp penalty appeal. From my view which was not great I thought it was a penalty.

This was the obviously the best home performance of the season. However, if we are to challenge for automatic promotion we should be winning our home games and I think our performance against Coventry was the most impressive so far.

His last match was at Bury, where I thought he had a good game.

You are right. I had forgotten Bury. Against Reading I thought he looked nowhere near ready for the Championship and I was surprised by Sven's decision not to give him more experience on loan. However, against Southampton there were times when he clearly gave their defence problems. I thought he had got us a penalty at one point and his work toward Wellens goal was exceptionally good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669