Pre Match Leicester v Manchester City (league cup)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

Our selection for this game will be really interesting. Puel admitted after the game last night that he was going to rotate several players. With our schedule, this is obviously correct if we want to seriously progress in the league. After yesterday's result, we need to have a right go at Man Utd on Saturday.

I also think that Man City will play a fairly strong side because of their position. There is ample opportunity for them to rest/rotate in league games over the Xmas period. They won't play their strongest side and will rest a few, but it will be nowhere near a full rotation. Bravo will start, as will the likes of Toure, B Silva, Danilo and one or two younger players. There will then be about five or six of their main starters.

So if we accept that Man City will be pretty strong and we have to rest some, we should go the whole hog and rest the lot of the outfield players due to start against Man Utd. I'd go with:

Schmeichel
Amartey Benny Dragovic Fuchs
Albrighton Choudhury King
Iheanacho Slimani Ulloa

Hopefully they will rest keys players but its a rare opportunity to get within touching distance of a final, id rest a few but still pick a strong team, with key rested players on the bench Wolves almost upset them last round so why not us. A chance for Slimani Iheanacho to show Puel they are worth keeping. i think we will put on a decent performance in a 22 draw Slimani Iborra

Kasper

Amartey Dragovic Maguire Fuchs

Choudhury Iborra

Gray Okazaki Albrighton

Iheanacho​

4 whole days rest before Man Utd. No reason why we can’t put out a strong team.

Schmeichel

Simpson / Maguire / Morgan / Fuchs

Mahrez / Iborra / King / Gray

Okazaki / Vardy

Not sure Im a deluded feckwit but as always think we should try to win every game, and to beat Man C we have to put out a very strong side, not sure the side that lost to Crystal Pal would be that side. Lets try to beat Man C and then Man U and then the rest.
Prem footballers should be able to manage all the games over chritmas/ new year, but if not we have others, probably better, to move in. Rotation will be key, but with the aim to win each game, and we may even discover a team to push for a top six place.
I would particularly like other strikers to be given a chance.
If BN's team were to start and win why change back to the others for Man U?
I would go with

Schmeichel
Simpson Maguire Dragovic Fuchs
Albrighton Iborra Okazaki Gray
Iheanacho Slimani

The Palace match should be a wake up call - we are not going to qualify for Europe via the league.

We should be absolutely serious about the cups this year. Why throw away a quarter final by not picking our best side? (especially as doing so might ambush a 'bigger' club putting the kids out)

I want us to do everything in our power to win this.

Would take something catastrophic to not be safe.

It’s our best chance to win something.

Absolutely.

I expect Pep to put out a team as BN suggests. Strong, but not first choice. So let’s try for a quick start and see how it goes.

Although I only listened to it, the Palace game reminded me of a pre-CL game from last year. I wonder if there was an element of saving themselves for this.

We should play the strongest team possible. No need to start with the likes of Benalouanne, Amartey, Choudhury, Ihenacho, etc.

Schmeichel

Simpson Morgan Maguire Fuchs

Iborra King (assuming Ndidi is suspended?)

Gray Okazaki Mahrez

Vardy

Schmeichel
Dragovic Maguire Fuchs
Albrighton King Iborra Chilwell
Mahrez Okazaki
Vardy

Who is the referee?
It’s Bobby Madley, who will have bad memories of the last time that he was involved in a Leicester City game. Madley had to go off injured in City’s 2-2 draw against Stoke in the first half and was replaced by fourth official Jon Moss.

Interestingly, Madley was the referee for the only Premier League game that Man City have not won this season – the 1-1 home draw against Everton. Madley sent off Kyle Walker before half-time in that game and also gave a red card to Everton’s Morgan Schnneiderlin late on in that game.

So far this season, Madley has handed out 53 yellow cards and five red in a total of 14 games.

Our selection for this game will be really interesting. Puel admitted after the game last night that he was going to rotate several players. With our schedule, this is obviously correct if we want to seriously progress in the league. After yesterday's result, we need to have a right go at Man Utd on Saturday.

I also think that Man City will play a fairly strong side because of their position. There is ample opportunity for them to rest/rotate in league games over the Xmas period. They won't play their strongest side and will rest a few, but it will be nowhere near a full rotation. Bravo will start, as will the likes of Toure, B Silva, Danilo and one or two younger players. There will then be about five or six of their main starters.

So if we accept that Man City will be pretty strong and we have to rest some, we should go the whole hog and rest the lot of the outfield players due to start against Man Utd. I'd go with:

Schmeichel
Amartey Benny Dragovic Fuchs
Albrighton Choudhury King
Iheanacho Slimani Ulloa

BN

Completely agree this is not throwing in the towel however, with the congested fixture list this makes absolute sense a top six finish which is achievable is more important IMO. I would like to see Albrighton rested he has been playing pretty well recently throw some of the u23 squad in and see how they do.
I think Man Utd are vulnerable and we should target that game 3 pts and we are right behind Spurs.

We should be going for it in this game. We're not going to finish in the top four, we might get in the top six if Silva turns out to be a bit useful, and the cups are our best opportunity of having an exciting season.
If we're going to get knocked out by Man City, we have to at least make it bloody difficult for them.

We're not getting relegated, we're not going to win it. For this game, we shouldn't even be considering the premier league.

We're not getting relegated, we're not going to win it. For this game, we shouldn't even be considering the premier league.

Is understandably a fan's view. PL places = bucks. Euro competition = bigger bucks. EFL is a fun day out for the fans but of a lesser priority to the club's financiers.

I honestly think that keeping players fresh and injury free will be of greater priority to Puel and I'd anticipate a balanced selection reflecting that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566