Leicestershire batting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Lad

With the departures of Ackerman & Dippenaar from the middle order it was time for our young guns to step up....

Boyce & Cobb to prove themselves & Taylor to keep up the great work from last season.

Their innings in the 4 day game this season....

Boyce... 47, 3, 0, 90, 18, 28, 19, 4 & 6 = Avge 23.88

Cobb... 27, 20*, 13, 25, 2 & 5 = Avge 18.4

Taylor... 88, 1, 6, 25, 6, 24, 5 & 3 = Avge 19.75

We simply aren't going to win many games when the core of the batting are averaging around 20. You need people who average 40+ at slots 1 - 6.

Have the county been left with their pants down yet again relying too much on youth and not replacing the ever reliable Ackerman with a solid no.3 (4 & 5!)?

I have time for Taylor as he consistantly proved his skill last season. Let's just hope he has just made a shaky start and it is only a blip.

Thoughts?

manxfox said:
An awesome days batting today - 107 all out with extras amongst the top scorers, well done! Honeymoon over i think

Taylor has proven he has class and is probably hitting his first bad patch. Boyce has been averaging about 20odd since mid-2008 I think and cobb has been average since his stunning start in the team. Disappointing

Taylor is into his second substantive season and it's predictable that he will find batting somewhat more difficult as the curcuit is made aware of his potential weaknesses.

I doubt if any of the other young bats are going to achieve top drawer quality.

Any county - and Leics more than the rest - would miss the quality of HD.

I think we have made some valuable acquisitions but we are comin g from a very low base - so its difficult to expect too much.

Although I'm not a great fan of T20 - I do think that we can have hopes of a big improvement there - given the recruitment of Brad Hodge who is a proven match winner.

Another collapse today. Luckily no match next week, they can spend some time trying to sort it out. Greg smith might get a call up I suppose, he was in the squad for this one apparently

Another collapse today. Luckily no match next week, they can spend some time trying to sort it out. Greg smith might get a call up I suppose, he was in the squad for this one apparently

Surely Scotland at Grace Rd this Sunday in the 40 overs.

I meant in the CC. Less worried about the one day batting - so far

Right.

Batting was always going to be a problem in the longer game. Top of the order has been strengthened with Jefferson and Nixon is a remarkable professional but we need MacDonald to do well - from what I've seen todate, he will hopefully be more of a bat than a bowler.

Taylor selected for England Lions next week vs Bangladesh. Lucky we have a week off anyway.

Now 71 all out!!!

Take out the scores of over 30 (4 of them in our two innings!) our aggregate score for the match is 80 runs for the loss of 17 wickets!

I didn't think we could go backwards but I have been disproven!

On the batting we have brought in McDonald plus Jefferson (injured) and Benning (signed towards the end of last season) (injured).

We have lost: H D Ackerman - one of the most prolific and reliable scorers in the club's modern history and Dippenaar who was a disappointment.

As far as the current match is concerned, I reckon the above leaves us in a negative position. Added to that, Josh Cobb looks badly out of form and confidence and Boyce is to flakey to be a regular fixture in the side.

23-2 already today. Jefferson run out first ball. This is simply ridiculous.

Luckily bad light has struck. I guess conditions weren't great either but still it just is not good enough

Taylor and mcdonald have obviously been Reading TB! Outstanding performance. Record fourth wicket partnership for county. Can't be many younger players with two double hundreds to their name than Taylor?

we do appear to be picking up a lot of injuries this season, McDonald is out today, they were hoping he might play as a batsman.

on the plus side a century for Jefferson after he missed out on the run fest in the Middlesex game

we do appear to be picking up a lot of injuries this season, McDonald is out today, they were hoping he might play as a batsman.

on the plus side a century for Jefferson after he missed out on the run fest in the Middlesex game

Another good day today. Taylor seems to be back in form, and looking like 5 batting points even without McDonald. :038:

But we all know that Ramps is guaranteed a ton every time he plays against us, so it's just a question of whether we can get the rest out :icon_lol:

But we all know that Ramps is guaranteed a ton every time he plays against us, so it's just a question of whether we can get the rest out :icon_lol:

Out for just 30 for a change! Apparently before yesterday he averaged 94 against us :icon_eek:

Surrey are 7 down now, hopefully the weather will stay fair for us. I notice that Hoggard has only bowled 5 overs in this innings :102:

Win by an innings and 60 runs.

Jefferson's ton really and some decent middle order contributions set the game up for us nicely. Then it sounded like the pitch started to take a lot of turn, and Henderson and Naik did the rest. Classic type of win at the Oval.

Surrey are in a bit of a mess aren't they. I think RBH will come under a bit of pressure for the captaincy soon

Win by an innings and 60 runs.

Jefferson's ton really and some decent middle order contributions set the game up for us nicely. Then it sounded like the pitch started to take a lot of turn, and Henderson and Naik did the rest. Classic type of win at the Oval.

Cricinfo said that "Surrey were bowled out for 183 which, even allowing for a pitch offering considerable help to the spinners, was a poor effort."

16 wickets in the match for Henderson and Naik, quality stuff. Back to mid-table for now.

Our first win against Surrey since 1998, which in my reckoning must have been the one that we won to win the title. I think we piled up 600 and won by an innings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566