Leics release 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashyfox

From the official site:

New signings being lined up as six players are released
Thursday, 20th September 2007

TIM BOON will today step up his attempts to inject new blood into the Leicestershire squad after announcing that six players have not been offered contracts for the 2008 season.

Boon has confirmed that five batsmen - Darren Robinson, John Maunders, Arno Jacobs, Paul Harrison and Marc Rosenberg – are all leaving Grace Road together with young fast bowler David Stiff.

But he assured the Club’s followers that new signings would be made over the coming weeks to strengthen the squad.

“We are currently in negotiations with new players and I am confident that we will be in a position to announce new signings in the coming weeks,” commented Leicestershire’s Senior Coach.

“We have set out our intentions through the Club’s Recruitment and Selection Policy for 2008 and beyond that we want to develop the best young talent around a core group of senior ‘role model’ professionals, and that will be reflected in the players that are brought to Grace Road.”

He added: “I would like to thank those players who have not been offered new contracts for their commitment and service to the Club and would also like to wish them well in the future.”

Robinson had been with Leicestershire for four seasons following a move from Essex, while his former opening partner Maunders had moved to Grace Road from Middlesex at the start of the 2003 season.

South African Jacobs was signed on a Kolpak agreement earlier this season after coming to Leicestershire’s attention when he played at Grace Road for Scotland, while Harrison and Rosenberg are both Loughborough University graduates who were given first team opportunities in 2007.

The sixth player released by Leicestershire, former England Under-19 quick bowler Stiff, had been given a contract this summer in the hope that he could fulfil his promise after a disappointing spell with Kent.

Am surprised that Maunders and Harrison haven't been offered something. Any news/rumours on potential replacements anyone?

Am surprised that Maunders and Harrison haven't been offered something. Any news/rumours on potential replacements anyone?

Harrison yes, I thought he had potential as a one-day players.

Maunders simply isn't good enough in either championship or one-dayers, has had lots of chances and hasn't done anything to prove otherwise.

Although he'll probably join Kent and start averaging over 50 now like Darren Stevens did :icon_roll

We've offered a three year contract to Rana Naved, although hes expected to join Yorkshire ahead of us.

Maunders could be on his way to Sussex too.

Signed a young keeper today which Im not sure what to make of.

Last edited:
Naved has indeed signed for Yorkshire

One for the future but we need players to build a team now.
Well we have Nixon and three players who have played cricket for SA. Hopefully an experiened overseas player too, you would think that is a good enough spine to the team. I'm happy with us to just add young players like Taylor to the team and see how they'll do.

Shame that Rana isn't coming. Yasir Arafat is pretty much a like for like player, I would be quite happy if he came instead.

Dippenaar (overseas) and Kruger (Kolpak) in on two year deals. Sadlers gone to Derbyshire.

I think Sadler will turn into another Darren Stevens and turn into a class player now hes left. I'm not overly upset though because he hasnt really produced the goods for us which at the end of the day is what matters.

Kruger bowled well enough last year and is a much needed acquisition with DM and SB leaving.

Dippenaar, well I'm not a huge fan and would have liked someone *world class* as an overseas player but he should still score significant runs in D2.

Not sure about the signing of Dippenaar. He's a solid enough batsman but was hoping for a higher profile player due to there being only 1 overseas player next season. Noticed that Mohammad Asif has signed for Surrey. I wonder if we were in for him or is he out of our league now?!

Really happy with the Kruger signing. He took wickets and looked very aggressive when i saw him play last summer. Think we need to sign a couple more quickies though as the pace attack is seriously lacking at the mo. Only Walker and Cummins spring to mind, and they are hardly anything special.

Team for next season at the mo:

New
Ackerman
Dippenaar
Allenby
Nixon
Henderson
Kruger

4 places up for grabs as i see it. Hopefully 4 more signings. Not sure if the young kid James Taylor will play or not, so maybe 3 places.

Have we abandoned that experiment that was Mansoor Amjad for good now?!!

Not sure about the signing of Dippenaar. He's a solid enough batsman but was hoping for a higher profile player due to there being only 1 overseas player next season. Noticed that Mohammad Asif has signed for Surrey. I wonder if we were in for him or is he out of our league now?!

yup :icon_cry:

Only Walker and Cummins spring to mind, and they are hardly anything special.

we're in trouble if that's what we'll be left with

Have we abandoned that experiment that was Mansoor Amjad for good now?!!

looks like it

Not too excited about Dippenaar....

Personally, quite pleased to see Kruger back though. Reckon he might need to bowl quite a few overs for us this year, so let's hope he stays fit and available.

Re: Sadler - agree, he'll become another Darren Stevens type. I suppose 'hands' and 'tied' spring to mind anyway, hardly anyone WANTS to stay at Leicestershire (if they can get even an equal offer elsewhere) and he was hardly pulling up any trees here... he's got ability though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669