Manager behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar Bear

One thing that made my heart sink in recent threads regarding Sven was that a number of people seem to regard his calm demeanour as a weakness rather than a strength, and would actively prefer a manager who 'acts like a fan'. There's no denying that serially undignified managers can be tremendously successful - Ferguson, Mourinho, O'Neill for us demonstrate that. But I'd suggest that they're a minority. Alf Ramsey, Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley, Clough, Wenger when he was successful, Capello - managers who for the most part controlled themselves and stayed focused.

This article from WSC really encapsulates my thoughts on the matter - http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/7972/38/.

Especially this - "If his team scores, I wish that instead of celebrating and doing a stupid little dance up and down the touchline, he would already be focused on how to defend that goal, or on how to score the next one. When his team concedes, I want him to be mentally reconstructing the errors in his head that caused it, so that he can correct them on the training ground on Monday morning."

And this - "Sit down, Boss, and stay in your seat. Stop stalking around your technical area and gesticulating. Get your assistant to shout out instructions, if you must. But really, those well-paid athletes out there should know what they’re doing. You should have given them firm, clear instructions. Now you should be storing up wisdom that you’re learning from the game in front of you, not performing for the cameras like a boorish, beered-up super-fan. "

Alf Ramsey, Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley, Clough, Wenger when he was successful, Capello - managers who for the most part controlled themselves and stayed focused.

Of course, what we don't really know is what those Managers were like in the dressing room at half time with their team three nil down.

I suspect that Sven wouldn't have lost his rag even under those circumstances.

That's a good point, but I suspect that the most effective bollockings are those that are calculated for effect, rather than genuinely losing it. Also, that's when the manager has the undivided attention of the players - during play, that obviously isn't the case.

100% with you Polar.

Management at any level in any profession should exhibit a level of control and foresight. In fact, those are part of the qualifications of the job.

100% with you Polar.

Management at any level in any profession should exhibit a level of control and foresight. In fact, those are part of the qualifications of the job.

Bollocks - management is about two things and two things only: 1) the ability to pick the sexiest candidate at interview and 2) the ability to do nothing for as long as possible, undiscovered, while taking credit for everyone else's endeavours.

Bollocks - management is about two things and two things only: 1) the ability to pick the sexiest candidate at interview and 2) the ability to do nothing for as long as possible, undiscovered, while taking credit for everyone else's endeavours.

And walking around with a dictaphone. Don't forget the dick to phone.

And walking around with a dictaphone. Don't forget the dick to phone.

Clipboard and pen, hi-viz tabbard with a hard hat = manager on H&S fact finding tour

Casual shirt, forced smile, two topics of conversation = manager on morale boosting mission

Offering to make the coffees = manager with nothing to do as usual but no clue how to hide it

Feck me, I'm in the wrong job.

Hasn't he taken on the Director of Football role for a good portion of that time?

Gradi, 70, was appointed as manager in 1983 and spent 24 years in charge, before two years as technical director and another two as manager.(see below)

On 18 November 2008, Gradi resumed control of Crewe's first team on a caretaker basis after a poor start to the 2008/09 season under Steve Holland had left the club bottom of League One.He was in charge for just over a month before Thordarson taking over on 29 December. Following his sacking on 2 October 2009 Gradi was again reinstated as caretaker manager which the board of directors then stated would be until further notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566