Mandaric bid to be rejected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
According to the Guardian...

Milan Mandaric's initial takeover offer for Leicester City "does not have a hope in hell" of succeeding, according to an influential shareholder at the club. The former Portsmouth chairman yesterday tabled what he described as a "fair and generous offer" after weeks of speculation linking him with a move for Leicester, but sources close to the deal insist the bid is significantly less than the £6.6m invested to rescue the Championship club from collapse four years ago.

There is also concern that Mandaric's proposal does not contain guarantees about the long-term future of the club, including the possibility of purchasing the Walkers Stadium - owned by an American loan company and valued at around £15m. Mandaric would not be drawn on his bid's breakdown, referring to the issue as "sensitive" and subject to "confidentiality" agreements. "If they don't [accept it] that's their prerogative," he said.

Sources close to the Serbian, however, insist the offer submitted would not leave the shareholders, whose funding enabled the club to stabilise financially after coming out of administration in 2002, shortchanged in any way. It is also claimed that Mandaric would assume responsibility for the loan repayments on the stadium. He could, however, face competition from other parties, with Leicester indicating last night that his offer is "one of a number of options available". It is understood that there is also interest from the United States and a Midlands-based consortium. A club statement assured supporters that a decision will be made as "soon as practically possible," although Mandaric will almost certainly need to return to negotiations if he is to succeed. The 68-year-old's discussions with the board have been far from straightforward and his decision to follow up his bid with a public statement, indicating his desire to "re-awaken Leicester City" and "bring back Premiership football" has upset some shareholders.

"Mandaric has not been too clever," said one. "He's got to convince 47 individual shareholders that he's the right man to take over the club. The best way to do that is to make a sensible offer with some assurances about what he wants to do and not go making what looks like direct appeals to the crowd to stir up trouble. None of the shareholders came in to it looking to make money or are looking to make money getting out of it."

if they not looking to make money and care about the club why are they rejecting it because they not getting their full 6.6mill back.

My fears look like they may be coming true, current shareholders putting themselves first not wanting to lose control of the club, this secret midlands investor may suddenly come up and win and turn out to be just a cash injection forced by milans bid. Meaning they could have had done this earlier but only doing so now to fend of manderic.

So why hasnt this shareholder revealed their identity if they so moral.

If the shareholders are getting there money back, which lets face it, I'm sure as surprised them, then they should accept the bid and get the feck out of there before the club needs another fiancial input that they again won't deliver.

I hope they're not holding out for a higher bid from a non footballing background just for a few more quid in their bank accounts. This situation wouldn't be in the best interest of Leicester City

So someone clearly favours one of the rival offers. Surprise surprise! Never been heard of before in the history of take-over bids.

The 68-year-old's discussions with the board have been far from straightforward and his decision to follow up his bid with a public statement, indicating his desire to "re-awaken Leicester City" and "bring back Premiership football" has upset some shareholders.
I really do hope this statement isn't true and it is blocked for this reason.

I hope OG is correct and this is just sour grapes from a disgruntled power happy shareholder

Last edited:
doesn't he have to convince 51% of the shareholders?

if they're not impressed, i assume it isn't that good a bid

doesn't he have to convince 51% of the shareholders?

if they're not impressed, i assume it isn't that good a bid
Spot on, so long as he can convince 51% to sell, then he can buy up the rest at will should he require.

51% will guarantee a conrolling share, but for that investment he may want 100% of the dividends, but I doubt it.

My fear is that if one of the major shareholders votes no they will have made a pre arranged pact to all say no

Last edited:
one of the joint major share holders are property 'investors' and also have an interest in the tigers.
Owning to the nature of their buisiness I suspect they will want their money to have worked for them.
Very few of the top 14 are Leicester fans, purely investors who are sitting on a very saleable product.
Got us out of the shite, but will not give it away.

Very few of the top 14 are Leicester fans, purely investors who are sitting on a very saleable product.
Got us out of the shite, but will not give it away.
I thought the common theory was that these were all City fans that were given hero status for saving our club and not expecting a penny in return :102:

I dont think MM will hang about too long its understood that he is interested in other clubs, however to sell to one dedicated owner is a gamble and all aspects must be addresed, after all MM is foremost a businesman (ie its not as if its Gary Lineker!). Im sure things will be sorted before the transfer window opens which is the main thing.

Last edited:
Look at whatb the shareholders have got for their money though over the last couple of years.

1. All the fuss given to them at matches
2. Knowing whats going on at the club, others would kill to know
3. The social side of things

4. etc etc etc

They will want at least a small premium on their initial outlay

perhaps the ones who are fans are happy at their original prices as long as MM buys the ground or something, i'd settle for that if i were a shareholder

£6m for the shares, £20m for Teachers and the ground

just depends how many shareholders are fans and how many are companies... have the FT got a list?

I thought the common theory was that these were all City fans that were given hero status for saving our club and not expecting a penny in return :102:

MM was a Pompey fan now he will be a Leicester fan?
John Elson is now on the board at Grimsby 'they have always been my club' after leaving us skint ( and hundreds stranded in Spain)

The only fans that invest are the ones that turn up bi weekly year after year, the others are not doing it for love its was and is always a sound investment

Look at whatb the shareholders have got for their money though over the last couple of years.

1. All the fuss given to them at matches
2. Knowing whats going on at the club, others would kill to know
3. The social side of things

4. etc etc etc

lucrative business deals :)

Find this story more than a litte surprising, bearing in mind that the offer was only formally submitted over the past 24 / 48 hours I would be more than a little shocked if a decision has been made either way, especially when you consider that it was reported it was likely to take around a fortnight before a decision would be made.

Surely any initial bid would be considered by the board and they would then either recommend the existing shareholders either accept or reject. Unless a counter offer has already been submitted that would appear a more lucrative option, then I would imagine that no decision on Mandaric's offer would have been made in such a short space of time.

who is this influential shareholder?

It was my understanding that there weren't any really influential shareholders, maybe its the foxes trust!!

As long as the current shareholders get their money back then i cant see a problem, if MM is trying to get the club on the cheap then i wouldnt blame them for not being tempted.

To be quite frank if the board expect back what they put in they are in cloud cuckoo land esp as they have invested no more to get us back in the prem and we are in a worse position both on and off the pitch then we were when people stepped in to save us from being wound up.

If they actually care about the club they should snap MM's hand off and allow someone in who actually knows how to run a football club to decently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566