Martin Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tommy Wrights thoughts on MA:

Former Leicester City player Tommy Wright has described Martin Allen as one of the best managers he has worked under.

Leicester-born Wright was on loan at Brentford from City when Allen took over at Griffin Park in 2004.

The Bees were deep in relegation trouble, and Allen managed to keep them up with a final-day victory.

Wright, a graduate of the City Academy, said it was Allen's arrival that sparked Brentford's successful relegation battle.

Now the forward believes Allen can bring success to the Walkers Stadium.

"He came to Brentford at just the right time," said Wright, who worked under Dave Bassett, Micky Adams and Craig Levein during his time at City.

"If he had not come to Brentford when he did I think we would have been relegated. He came in and sat everyone down and read us the riot act.

"He told people a few home truths and it worked because, at the end of the day, Brentford stayed up," added Wright, who has also played under Colin Hendry and Simon Grayson during a loan spell at Blackpool.

Wright, who is now playing for Darlington in League Two, said Allen was "a great motivator".

The 22-year-old described an unconventional team-building exercise on his first away trip under Allen as an example.

"We played Hartlepool away and trained on the Friday at a park," recalled Wright.

"There was a river with trolleys and all sorts in it. He said that if we all gave him £2 he would jump in and swim to the other side.

"We said yes and he took his clothes off, jumped in, got out the other side and ran back to the hotel.

"It really brought us together and we went on to win."

Wright added: "Leicester have under-achieved this year. He will give them a kick up the backside.

"Martin Allen is the type that, if you don't give 100 per cent, he will let you know in no uncertain terms.

"He will get the lads wound up. He's a great motivator.

"I didn't know much about him when he arrived at Brentford. He had come from Barnet and when he came in he oozed confidence, which was good.

"He studied the opposition and seemed to know every single detail of other teams. Football is in his blood.

"To look at him and not really know him can be intimidating. Underneath it, he is a really nice bloke and, if he does get the job, he will do a good job."

Sounds like the ideal candidate :icon_roll

sounds better than Rkelly.

To be fair that interview by Tommy Wright is the first real insight into Martin Allen as a manager and person, all other posts have been rumour, speculation or the bised view of supporters tinged with more than a little anger and hurt.
Whilst it doesn't clear all my doubts, it does certainly fill me with more optimism than I had.

To be fair that interview by Tommy Wright is the first real insight into Martin Allen as a manager and person, all other posts have been rumour, speculation or the bised view of supporters tinged with more than a little anger and hurt.
Whilst it doesn't clear all my doubts, it does certainly fill me with more optimism than I had.

I can see them at Bradgate park again this summer, open them up to some public abuse!

Do you really think the kind of experienced Premiership players we're rumoured to be signing will respond to that kind of lower division motivational management?
There's more to management than that, and I've seen nothing so far to suggest Allen has anything else to offer. Hope I'm wrong.

Barry Fry-esque

Do you really think the kind of experienced Premiership players we're rumoured to be signing will respond to that kind of lower division motivational management?
There's more to management than that, and I've seen nothing so far to suggest Allen has anything else to offer. Hope I'm wrong.

I am not saying that Jeff, I have not really seen too much of Allen's teams so I cannot really form a judgement, the only info I have is where his teams have finished in the league and then whatever info is posted on the internet. But what it does show is that he seems to know what makes players tick even if it is in the lower leagues, perhaps he will deal with our players differently.

:043::043::043::044::044::042::082::005:

Ive heard it all now, an MK Dons fan calling himself longtimefan, i have pants older than MK Dons, and preaching about loyalty.....priceless!

I know some people make that mistake.I have been a Dons fan for 27 years following them at Plough Lane and now in their less legitimate form in MK.I chose to continue supporting whereas others went to AFC. A perrsonal choice really.
Anyway MAD DOG is fun to watch.But take everything with a pinch of salt.
Good Luck!!!!!!!

I know some people make that mistake.I have been a Dons fan for 27 years following them at Plough Lane and now in their less legitimate form in MK.I chose to continue supporting whereas others went to AFC. A perrsonal choice really.
Good Luck!!!!!!!

Its an entirely new football club, you have only supported them for a few years. God knows how you can support such a side.

Last edited:
Good Luck!!!!!!!

:038:

Well played mate, loyal supporter, don't take any notice of what others say! Are you actually from Wimbledon though? :102:

Last edited:

The gimmicks etc attributed to Martin Allen appear to be the sort of actions that might work on the impressionable the first time round.

MM will have his own reasons for appointing him - these may turn out to be good or not.

I remain dubious about this appointment......and suspect it will be another short term situation.

The gimmicks etc attributed to Martin Allen appear to be the sort of actions that might work on the impressionable the first time round.

MM will have his own reasons for appointing him - these may turn out to be good or not.

I remain dubious about this appointment......and suspect it will be another short term situation.

I'd like to see the guy, or anyone else if appointed, given a fair crack of the whip by the fans. Don't see it happening though. At least it took a while to get on Kelly and Leveins back, MA has the fans on his back before he starts.

I'd like to see the guy, or anyone else if appointed, given a fair crack of the whip by the fans. Don't see it happening though. At least it took a while to get on Kelly and Leveins back, MA has the fans on his back before he starts.

I agree

Lets all stop trying to be MM and take it as it comes. Give the guy a chance ffs

Some will want him to fail just so that they are proved right:icon_roll

So we're not allowed to have an opinion about someone who isn't even our manager yet?

I don't think he's the right man for the job, but whoever is appointed will get my support and I'll want them to do well.

So we're not allowed to have an opinion about someone who isn't even our manager yet?

I don't think he's the right man for the job, but whoever is appointed will get my support and I'll want them to do well.

Lets hope he is the man for the job then

You do, as does everyone, but people on here are almost begging for it not to be him, without offering an alternative suggestion that will bring the "guaranteed" success that apparantly we have a right to.

Same here.

I want nothing more than a return to success.

But come on now - football supporters are not universally regarded as the brightest and to take the attitude that we all have to enthuse about an appointment which we don't think feels right only reinforces stereotypical views about fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669