Martyn Waghorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I hope he sticks around. Pre-season with us under Sven (if Sven sticks around) and I reckon we've got a player on our hands. We sometimes lack a raw edge, and Waghorn has that (despite many other quite concerning flaws)

Harsh in the extreme.

OK...he hasn't had a great season & has struggled to holf down a place but lets not forget the player he was last season & how young he is.
Loads of potential,loads of time.Under the right management & coaching I still think he can mature into a genuinely top class player & I for one don't fancy the idea of seeing him do it at fecking Derby! Or anywhere else but here.
Generally not keen on us becoming a club that shifts on promising young talent.We're the sort of club that should nurture it.
Given a properly organised pre-season to thoroughly purge the last remnants of the disastrous "Sosa Effect" & I reckon we'll see players return to their best.Especially the young ones like Waghorn who got caught up in it.
Same goes for Jack Hobbs who by all accounts is back to top form at Hull.
Right there you have 2 of our top players from last season & both are young with years left in them.We should be building a team around players like this not looking to offload them to bring in others who will take time to settle (or God forbid be another shitload of loans)

Remember Lineker almost went to Cov as a young player.

Still makes me shudder to think of it.

I disagree he could develop into a top class player, because he lacks footballing intelligence. When he's on the pitch or the ball, he doesn't look up enough, he's not constantly looking for space enough as a forward does. He is a workhorse and a good one at this level, but I don't think he has the intelligence to improve that much.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see him ending up as more than a Jon Stead-esque Championship journeyman.

Last edited:
Hope he stays.. For me, he is a good player, never worth £3m yet, but a good player in the making.

Hope he stays.. For me, he is a good player, never worth £3m yet, but a good player in the making.

I agree. He was capable of it last year so there is no reason why he wouldn't be capable of it in the future. He just needs games under his belt, so I'd welcome a loan move, season long if necessary. There is a reason why Premier League clubs are shipping out their up-and-comers on long term loan deals.

That and, well, it's Waggeh ain't it? Pashun, commitment, pickled onion flavoured Joey.

I disagree he could develop into a top class player, because he lacks footballing intelligence. When he's on the pitch or the ball, he doesn't look up enough, he's not constantly looking for space enough as a forward does. He is a workhorse and a good one at this level, but I don't think he has the intelligence to improve that much.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see him ending up as more than a Jon Stead-esque Championship journeyman.

Agree. Also, his first touch is not good and he is outmuscled a lot. His main asset is his quickness.

His attitude needs to drastically improve if he's to make it at this level. He gives away needless freekicks and when he knocked the ball out of the hands of the sheep player taking a throw in he lost a lot of respect from me, totally ****ing pointless display of stupidity. He is a sand dancer though so I've doubts that he'll ever mature.

This is a first.... I'm agreeing with Homer!

Then do him the justice of spelling his name correctly. In Coalville they get frightened of capital letters and any other unfamiliar shapes.

... I think that we should perhaps expect more Bambas ... to come in this summer.

One is more than enough, thank you very much.

Don’t believe this non-story. There’s a world of difference between a raggedy-arsed club like Derby making a cheeky loan offer in January and putting up big bucks for a transfer. If they have got money, it’ll be spread around and won’t meet any serious valuation we put on him.

57 varieties of criticisms of Waggy and why he won’t make it based on a poor, frustrating season. If only he’d had a chance to play in a confident, successful strong championship team, playing left sided striker in a system favouring more direct attacking football, he might have shone. Wait a minute .... he did ... for us last year.

And there’s the rub. As far as LCFC goes, Waggy is yesterday’s news. He won’t get into an SGE team of misfiring overpaid fanny merchants – like Kennedy, Moreno and probably Abe, not being an SGE signing he doesn’t have the luxury of Sven’s indulgence, viz Bamba, Vassell and the Keystone Kops defence.

With hindsight, seeing Sunderland’s collapse in form since Bent deserted them and Welbeck picked up injuries, it would have been better all round if he’d stayed. As it is there is every prospect that like many others in the post-MON era, he’ll be offloaded and play his best football (IMO in the Prem) somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566