Matt Oakley confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Matt Oakley

Leicester City boss Ian Holloway today (Friday) confirmed the capture of Derby County skipper Matt Oakley for an undisclosed fee.

The midfielder becomes Holloway's sixth signing of the January window - with Ben Alnick, Barry Hayles, Gabor Bori, Jsolt Laczko and former Rams team-mate Steve Howard already on board.

And the good news for City fans is that Oakley is available for Saturday's Championship clash against local rivals Coventry City at the Walkers Stadium, subject to Football League approval.

The 30-year-old playmaker has signed a three-and-a-half year contract with the Foxes, keeping him at the club until the end of the 2011 campaign.

Oakley has made 61 starts for the Rams since making the move to Pride Park in August 2006 - scoring on an impressive nine occasions.

The deal is seen as a real transfer coup for the Foxes - who beat off five other Championship clubs to Oakley's signature.

City boss Holloway said: "This is a fantastic signing for this football club. Matt is a player with tremendous ability and I am chuffed to bits that we have been able to bring him here. "

Oakley began his career at Southampton, where he progressed through the youth set up to the first team. He made his debut at the age of just 17 against Everton at Goodison Park in 1995 - and went on to spend an impressive 12 years with the South Coast club.

All in all Oakley made 311 appearances for the Saints before joining Derby in August 2006, where he was promptly handed the captain's armband. The player became an instant fans' favourite with the Rams crowd, and was instrumental in their rise to the Premiership.

He was named man-of-the-match for his performance in the Rams' 1-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion in the play-off final at Wembley last year.

Tickets remain on general sale for the Coventry City clash - priced at just £23 for adults, £21 for seniors, £15 for under 22s/students, £10 for under 16s, £5 for under 12s and free for under 8s (family enclosure only).

Supporters can secure their seats from the Walkers Stadium ticket office up until 5pm today. Doors will then open again from 9am on the day of the game until kick off.

Alternatively, fans can email the ticket office direct on [email protected] or call 0844 815 5000.

Thank goddness for that,

Welcome Matty Oaks,

score some of them great long rangers and u left the sheep shaggers for the foxes Brave Brave Man!!!

Oh no

Remember the last one of these.........

The deal is seen as a real transfer coup for the Foxes..........

Last edited:
Matt Oakley joined from Derby

Why has the other thread been closed???

What a signing......jizzing time.

Re: Matt Oakley joined from Derby

I did it.

I saw a thread that said Matt Oakley confirmed, but then had to read 200+ posts of mostly crap before the bit that said he was confirmed, I didn't want other people to waste their time too so I split it into two threads and closed the old one.

I was trying to do exactly the same thing at the same time.

GET IN.

Absoutely brilliant signing - has shown real promise in the Prem this year, quite suprised Derby let him go actually.

Wahey its now open, thats what confused me. I saw a "Matt Oakley - confirmed" thread which was closed. And then saw a "Matt Oakley confirmed thread" (this one) which was also closed.

Re: Matt Oakley joined from Derby

I did it.

I saw a thread that said Matt Oakley confirmed, but then had to read 200+ posts of mostly crap before the bit that said he was confirmed, I didn't want other people to waste their time too so I split it into two threads and closed the old one.

Thank you.

The thing that worries me is that with so many new signings coming in will we be able to get some teamwork happening? It's going to be an interesting game IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669