Confirmed Transfer Matthew Upson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand this signing, we have two experienced defenders already in Was and Wes. Yes, not PL experience but Wasyl in particular has experience at a high level with Anderlecht (probably CL experience). So I don't understand the need to add another 'experienced defender'.

Was and Wes aren't exactly blessed with pace which is probably a weakness of our CB's, so signing another slow and older CB than what we already have doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

If we were going to sign a CB, IMO we should have spent a bit of money and got a younger, hungrier CB that could be with us for years to come. Currently, I get the feeling in the PL we will see a lot of Liam Moore, our only CB with any pace potentially capable of coping with the quicker, cleverer strikers.

I don't understand this signing, we have two experienced defenders already in Was and Wes. Yes, not PL experience but Wasyl in particular has experience at a high level with Anderlecht (probably CL experience). So I don't understand the need to add another 'experienced defender'.

Was and Wes aren't exactly blessed with pace which is probably a weakness of our CB's, so signing another slow and older CB than what we already have doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

If we were going to sign a CB, IMO we should have spent a bit of money and got a younger, hungrier CB that could be with us for years to come. Currently, I get the feeling in the PL we will see a lot of Liam Moore, our only CB with any pace potentially capable of coping with the quicker, cleverer strikers.

I was hoping we would unearth another Lovins. Upson doesn't fill me with joy.

Good defender. Good character. Good professional. I predict he will be a success.

It's not an exciting signing but it may be a wise one.

There is also a case for us playing three centre backs in a number of occasions next season. If that's the case, we need reinforcements there.

It's not an exciting signing but it may be a wise one.

There is also a case for us playing three centre backs in a number of occasions next season. If that's the case, we need reinforcements there.

If we signed him after several others had already joined, I'd be pleased with the signing of some experience and imagine many others would too. It's a bit of a meh start but hopefully there's more to come.

Whilst this is not an inspiring signing, for many reasons similar to what we got out of GTF and Kevin Phillips, it could be good for us. Upson has got to be someone who can teach Moore more, though Liam will have to do the running for the both of them.

We can't sign players for money till the window opens. The freebies will be snapped up if we leave it. That's why the frees come first.

We can't sign players for money till the window opens. The freebies will be snapped up if we leave it. That's why the frees come first.
That's just not true. The transfer window opens at exactly the same time for out of contract players and contracted ones.

That's just not true. The transfer window opens at exactly the same time for out of contract players and contracted ones.

Once competitive fixtures are done, transfers can be agreed and take place within the same association. I suspect that means this tuesday. Out of contract players are, in effect, released as of now which is why they can be signed. As far as signing any players from the continent, i think that has to wait until july 1st?

David luiz? I assume this is an agreement to make a deal once it can be ratified and signed. Chelsea could always release him from his contract if they wanted to do it now.

Once competitive fixtures are done, transfers can be agreed and take place within the same association. I suspect that means this tuesday. Out of contract players are, in effect, released as of now which is why they can be signed. As far as signing any players from the continent, i think that has to wait until july 1st?

David luiz? I assume this is an agreement to make a deal once it can be ratified and signed. Chelsea could always release him from his contract if they wanted to do it now.
No. Out of contract players are still contracted until June 30th; they cannot officially join their new clubs until July 1st. Future transfers can be agreed at any time, but they have to be completed inside the relevant transfer window. Players cannot be contracted to two different clubs inside the same transfer window. That's why you see clubs cancelling contracts on transfer deadline day - to allow the player to find a new employer.

No. Out of contract players are still contracted until June 30th; they cannot officially join their new clubs until July 1st. Future transfers can be agreed at any time, but they have to be completed inside the relevant transfer window. Players cannot be contracted to two different clubs inside the same transfer window. That's why you see clubs cancelling contracts on transfer deadline day - to allow the player to find a new employer.

This would have been my point, made better than I could too.

Why can't a club release a player( anull their contract) prior to the end of June? We did it with waghorn, allowing him to sign for Wigan. I assume that all players released this week have had this done, their contracts paid up until the end of June.

Why can't a club release a player( anull their contract) prior to the end of June? We did it with waghorn, allowing him to sign for Wigan. I assume that all players released this week have had this done, their contracts paid up until the end of June.

They haven't been released, they've been told they won't be renewed. Unless a player agrees to it, a club can't just terminate a contract. Unless a player has somewhere to go, why would they agree to it?

They haven't been released, they've been told they won't be renewed. Unless a player agrees to it, a club can't just terminate a contract. Unless a player has somewhere to go, why would they agree to it?

that wasn't what was being discussed though. the point is that players, either out of contract or going to be released at the end of june, can be transferred now by fiddling around with their current arrangements. transfers between clubs can take place from tuesday within the english fa jurisdiction. and if you tell a player he is no longer required and pay him to the end of june, i hardly think he is going to be bothered about his contract being terminated six weeks early.

That's not what happened with Waghorn at all. A player can join a club permanently at any time if he is already on loan there, provided he joined inside the normal transfer window.
that wasn't what was being discussed though. the point is that players, either out of contract or going to be released at the end of june, can be transferred now by fiddling around with their current arrangements. transfers between clubs can take place from tuesday within the english fa jurisdiction. and if you tell a player he is no longer required and pay him to the end of june, i hardly think he is going to be bothered about his contract being terminated six weeks early.
No. I read it recently, and this is how I remember it: clubs have until a certain point in May to inform an out of contract player of their decision whether or not to offer a new contract and, if relevant, offer said new contract, which may not be less favourable to the player than his current terms. If a club informs a player before this date that he won't be renewed, he is free to negotiate with other clubs immediately with a view to joining on or after July 1st. Whether they've been offered a contract or not, out of contract players can negotiate with other clubs after a certain date in May (third weekend maybe, but as I'm doing this from memory that could be wrong).

if you tell a player he is no longer required and pay him to the end of june, i hardly think he is going to be bothered about his contract being terminated six weeks early.

But if a player then signs for another club, the new club would be expected to pay his wages from the moment he signs. That could end up costing them six figures to pay someone who won't turn up for work until July anyway. The current system suits players and their new clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566