New Contract Matty James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see the most important members of the squad beginning to sign long term deals. That protects us financially if we do a 'Southampton' and the bigger clubs come sniffing around.

Of course you have to be sure that those you offer a long term deal on a good salary are saleable if it all goes t*ts and you get relegated.

Of course you have to be sure that those you offer a long term deal on a good salary are saleable if it all goes t*ts and you get relegated.

We thought players like Izzet, Elliott etc were saleable when we were relegated before, and it turned out they weren't because clubs that wanted them couldn't afford their wages.

It's far more sensible to reduce the wages in the event of relegation, and have that written into the contract.

We thought players like Izzet, Elliott etc were saleable when we were relegated before, and it turned out they weren't because clubs that wanted them couldn't afford their wages.

It's far more sensible to reduce the wages in the event of relegation, and have that written into the contract.

money was less available then Jeff. players as good as izzet and elliot would find a home nowadays. of course its sensible to have a relegation clause in the contract but ambitious players (and their agents) will not necessarily agree, especially with a club which appears to have financial strength such as ours. if i was advising a player and the club wanted a relegation clause, i would up the ante on the salary paid whilst in the prem to compensate for the risk.

Agreed.

And we'd be absolutely mad not to be writing them in.

Along with the players agents all being absolutely mad if they don't insert clauses in these contracts stipulating that on relegation they can be sold for a knock-down fee due to their reduced wages.

Whatever way it goes, the players win.

Nice to see the spine of the team is tied down to long term contracts. These players are all important and hopefully they are still altogether when things do start to get rough. We will have some tough times, no game is going to be easy in the Premier league, but at least we are going in the right direction.

Well done City. COYB.

Along with the players agents all being absolutely mad if they don't insert clauses in these contracts stipulating that on relegation they can be sold for a knock-down fee due to their reduced wages.

Whatever way it goes, the players win.

Indeed.

But if they're the right players (i.e. they're any good), then we win too.

If we're relegated, they're aren't any winners. Whilst we can be as realistic as possible in our expectations, and try and prepare by building a 'sustainable' model, ultimately relegation will always be both failure and an unknown. In this day and age it's impossible to build a team that is prepared for relegation as there are too many variables (manager/players/other teams/etc).

as per Drinky ie no prolonged negotiations, clear he loves the place

from what i've seen over the past couple of seasons, i'd say he is the player in our squad most able to play at the highest level. i really rate him and hope he keeps his fitness levels up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566