New Contract Matty James

Status
Not open for further replies.
11/08/17 - James starts first game for City in over 800 days
26/08/17 - James gets new FOUR YEAR contract
09/09/17 - James gets injured for "4-6 weeks"

It's now approaching 9 weeks and no sign of him. Was this new contract the single most stupid decision City have ever made?

11/08/17 - James starts first game for City in over 800 days
26/08/17 - James gets new FOUR YEAR contract
09/09/17 - James gets injured for "4-6 weeks"

It's now approaching 9 weeks and no sign of him. Was this new contract the single most stupid decision City have ever made?
This is perhaps a good example of Shakespeare's shortcomings. I am sure the Matty is a good lad but he should have been moved on and an upgrade brought in.

I am not sure Shakespeare has ever been in a position to recommend a new contract, never mind offer one.

I am not sure Shakespeare has ever been in a position to recommend a new contract, never mind offer one.
If Shakespeare had told Rudkin that James was surplus to requirements, I doubt he would have got a new contract.

We all have to hope that he never plays for the first-team again. Not wishing him not to play first-team football again but please let it not be at Leicester. Same goes for Ulloa.

Of course not. But a rough and conservative guess of £50k a week over 4 years is over £10m. That's more than we probably spent net on everyone through those years.
As a proportion of the club's income at the time though, we're probably not close to then

I thought it was routine for PL clubs to offset the risk of a player having long term injuries through insurance, though the premiums for Matty could be eye-watering. Financially the hit that his injury-proneness would have on his transfer value would be big too.

Nothing compares to the club record fee we paid for Darren Eadie back in the day, makes the £1m we splashed out on James seem a positive bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts

Latest posts