Memory lane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brauny Blue

I was watching ESPN last night which provoked a few memories.

1975 and Steve Whitworth is having a good solid game for England against Wales at Wembley. During the game England bring on their one and only substitute. The physio and coaching staff have ' Gola ' sports bags. Wembley with its standing areas and 100 000 capacity, was just over half full with a 53000 crowd.

If you have sporting or any other things that reminds you of times gone by, then post away.

Also watched my favourite boxer the other day.

Marvellous Marvin Hagler battering Minter in London.
Also Hagler v Sibson.
Sibbo gave it his best and was extremely brave fighting against the beast that Hagler was.

Also watched my favourite boxer the other day.

Marvellous Marvin Hagler battering Minter in London.
Also Hagler v Sibson.
Sibbo gave it his best and was extremely brave fighting against the beast that Hagler was.

I went to the Minter Hagler fight in London, it was a rematch as Hagler had took the world title off him a few months earlier.
When he got beaten again in London the crowd rioted, pulling seats up and throwing them. Took ages for the OB to control it.

Minter was a decent boxer, but Hagler was different class.
Imo our Sibbo could have been a champion in most eras, but what a fantastic decade for middleweight boxing.

I was watching ESPN last night which provoked a few memories.

1975 and Steve Whitworth is having a good solid game for England against Wales at Wembley. During the game England bring on their one and only substitute. The physio and coaching staff have ' Gola ' sports bags. Wembley with its standing areas and 100 000 capacity, was just over half full with a 53000 crowd.

If you have sporting or any other things that reminds you of times gone by, then post away.

BB I love you :icon_bigg :049: :049: :049: :049: :055: :055: :055: However that is a pile of shite as I believe one of the biggest problems confronting us is the ongoing clinging to the past. :018: :icon_conf

However that is a pile of shite as I believe one of the biggest problems confronting us is the ongoing clinging to the past.

Well we don't have much of a future to look forward to do we?

Minter was a decent boxer, but Hagler was different class.
Imo our Sibbo could have been a champion in most eras, but what a fantastic decade for middleweight boxing.
My old man was good friends with Sibbo's uncle and went to just about all his fights. He went as part of the touring group to the Hagler fight in Boston (he travelled with Harry Carpenter and an up and coming young boxer who was along for the ride, a guy named Frank Bruno).

In the unlikely event that anyone ever gets to see a rerun of the anthems at the start of the fight, there was some controversy with a huge star spangled banner in the ring for the US anthem but no flag for our national anthem. The British TV people were pissed off so they cut to a big Union Jack being held aloft in the crowd. Sitting next to the bloke holding it is a bloke with, from what I can remember as a ten year old, a pretty dodgy beard, even dodgier perm and laughable pinstripe suit - that's my old man, that is! :icon_eek:

Me and my little brother got interviewed by RL once whilst watching Sibbo train for the Minter fight. I was quite young and have since taken way too many drugs, but I seem to remember his training camp was in some pub's skittle alley or something. Possibly in Sileby.

When I was a kid my Mum used to work at the Blue Bell in Hoby, during the summer holidays I would go along and members of the Tigers and Showaddywaddy used to play skittle and football with me at lunchtime.

My old man was a goalie in the local leagues and used to play against the Showaddywaddy boys on a regular basis. I got to watch from the nearest puddle of mud.

The first gig I ever went to was... Showaddywaddy at the DeMont! How cool is that for the CV...

My old man was a goalie in the local leagues and used to play against the Showaddywaddy boys on a regular basis. I got to watch from the nearest puddle of mud.

The first gig I ever went to was... Showaddywaddy at the DeMont! How cool is that for the CV...
That is supercool, and I wish I had that on my cv. I can give them credit for being the second ever poster on my wall, although they did hold the title of being the biggest ever poster on my wall for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46