Michael Owen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingy_85

... has today signed a year extension to his United contract.

What an absolute idiot. :bang:

Seriously? How far have his standards dropped? He used to be the best striker in the EPL and now he's happy with a handful of starts in a season?

Not only that but Ferguson had a spare sub left during the CL final and could have just thrown him on for the last 2 minutes but didn't even give him that.

Then I read him banging on about giving up on an England call here.

AS IF you even deserve a callup ! For what? Warming United's bench for the last 2 years?

I know he has been unlucky with injuries but this guy could be the main man for any mid table Prem team if he had any ambition left.

Last edited:
Re: Michaell Owen

I'm not sure he can aim much higher than a premier league winner's medal and getting into the squad for a champions league final.

Re: Michaell Owen

I'm slightly surprised that Alex Ferguson even gave him an extension really. It seems as if he's some special case. Unless Manchester United have some kind of insane injury crisis next season, Owen will always be about 4th choice striker at best. In the entire 2010/11 season, he only made one Premier League start. If it wasn't Michael Owen, he would definitely have been shipped out.

Living off his name now and he knows it.

Easier to hide behind that name on UTD's bench than be exposed at, say, a Blackburn.

His performances towards the end of his Newcastle career were bordering on shameful.

I don't know what Owen's thinking is in this situation, but I know I would have done exactly the same thing.

It is baffling as it is not necessarily money that is keeping him there. If his contract is similar to the one he initially signed it is pay as you play, isn't it. A dread lack of ambition on Micheals part, I fear. He could go to almost any Premier League team and be a first choice striker.

It is baffling as it is not necessarily money that is keeping him there. If his contract is similar to the one he initially signed it is pay as you play, isn't it. A dread lack of ambition on Micheals part, I fear. He could go to almost any Premier League team and be a first choice striker.

Lack of ambition?

He's just picked up his first ever Premier League winners medal FFS!

Lack of ambition?

He's just picked up his first ever Premier League winners medal FFS!

Oh yes, I suppose theres a form of ambition in riding on others coat tails. If I were to have sat on Utd's bench all season, making a few sub appearances I'd have probably made as much of an impact on their season as he did. Three goals over the course of a season is not impressive, given that the quality of player in the Utd side almost ensures a goal scoring chance every game. It'd be showing ambition to move to a less successful club, take Arsenal for example, and try to score them to the title.

Oh yes, I suppose theres a form of ambition in riding on others coat tails. If I were to have sat on Utd's bench all season, making a few sub appearances I'd have probably made as much of an impact on their season as he did. Three goals over the course of a season is not impressive, given that the quality of player in the Utd side almost ensures a goal scoring chance every game. It'd be showing ambition to move to a less successful club, take Arsenal for example, and try to score them to the title.

Yes, but he wouldn't win anything at Arsenal!

Yes, but he wouldn't win anything at Arsenal!

Granted, it was just a suggestion. It just seems to me that he has, somewhere along the line, got rid of his professional pride. Sitting on the bench, gladly, when he should be playing regularly. Bitching about the England manager not picking him and insinuating he'll just wait for the next manager instead of trying to play his way back into the team. The shameless touting of himself after Real Madrid.

I used to be one of his biggest fans too.

How some of you can be defending his decision is almost as baffling as the decision itself.

His total lack of ambition is absolutely shocking. I imagined he would be the sort of player who thrived off scoring goals and that addiction wouldn't wane. However, I was dismayed by his lack of ambition and snobbishness when he said something along the lines of, 'I'd much prefer to sit on the bench in the PL than ever go down a level'. This, combined with an interview in the Guardian where he revealed, '......erm...I don't watch films....Erm, my favourite ever film would probably be....Sea Biscuit' and ' I decided that I wanted my family to come on the honeymoon, cos...well, I'd get bored if it was just me and the wife', have also added to my disillusionment with a player I once respected. From national treasure to national, boring , embarrassment.

My point being he can't take the same sense of worth and satisfaction as someone like Hernandez, who knows his goals have contributed to them being champions.

Yes but he's not really won anything at Man Utd either. He has barely contributed to their success, he hasn't impact their season whatsoever. He may well as not won anything.

My point being he can't take the same sense of worth and satisfaction as someone like Hernandez, who knows his goals have contributed to them being champions.

I know what you are saying and I agree with what you say.

But the fact remains that like it or not he has a Premier League winners medal to show his grand-kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669