Mickey's time up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PEN3 said:
Like every other City fan, I want to see us winning matches and promotion. To be honest, we are a bottom 5 premiership side or a top three fizzy league side. I believe this league is so poor, that anything other than a top three finish for us would be a disaster. Mickey is a decent enough bloke but I just wonder how much he contributed to the points were lost last year (and the year before that!) in the last few minutes of the game. I just don't think he instilled any confidence into the team, and they themselves therefore were always resigned to losing goals right at the death. I can't see what progress we have made since Taylor left. I appreciate the financial problems, but the Walker's Stadium has been packed most of the time, so we are better placed than say Ipswich or Sunderland. I don't want him to go, but if he does may I suggest Gordon Strachan. He should have been appointed after Taylor left - he was available as he had left Cov.

Agree wholeheartedly but there must be a better bet than Strachan. What about Linneker persuading his buddy Alan Hansen to have a go. If he walk the managerial walk as well as he talks the talk he'd be a genius. Otherwise what about Paul Merson. A gamble yes, but an exciting, adventurous one. If we're gonna lose we might as well see a few fireworks and winning by 4-3'or 3-2 is better than what they're serving up at the moment. Four-nil and 3-0 would be better though.

Keep the Faith said:
Babylon said:
Tony Elsby said:
Too soon to be critical after two defeats in a row?". Don't you count last season's defeats? What bothered me about last season was not getting relegated but the management's failure to steer us through to success from winning positions.

The manager is very limited to what he can do to influence a team once they cross the line, from what you are saying Micky should magicly be able to prevent players like scowcroft/curtis etc miss kicking a ball. Considering we were made up of not wanted players from 2nd rate clubs, maybe just maybe Micky had made the players already over achieve by getting into that winning position.

Tony Elsby said:
We weren't the worst team we just donated points through what seemed like a lack of tactical acumen and a good many managers would never have survived that indignity. Leicester's "fickle fans" were in fact, so reasonable, that they accepted MA building another side to take us straight back.

No we weren't the worst team, we were the third worst team.

Tony Elsby said:
Let me ask why should "fickle" fans accept their team almost continually losing or underperforming at home over nearly 12 months.

The team was made up of has beens and never has beens, like i said maybe we overachieved considering finances and players brought in. 90% of fans thought we would go straight back down, so did the pundits and so did the bookies, so how exactly is going down under performing??? Maybe it was the fact Adams made them play quite well every now and again that raised your hopes from relegation to survival.

I can't even be bothered to answer your other points, the fans of this club are an absolute joke. Ok everything aint rosey at the minute and things need adjusting, but is anything ever rosey at many clubs. To be even suggesting a replacement of a manager after FOUR games is complete and utter madness. Players dont even get a chance to get use to playing with each other.

Should Adams get the sack i expect all of you to back the next manager 100% for the rest of the season. Or will you just turn on him again like you did Oneil when he first came if things dont start off to well. I think i know what you will be doing.

Fickle Hypocrits with dillusions of grandure sums up 80% of Leicester fans.

People need to snap out of trying to compare every manager we get to MON, the guy was a one of for this club. Just like Brian Clough was for forest. You can't go around sacking a manager just because he can't achieve what your greatest manager did.

I understand your sentiments Babylon but i think its unfair to slag everybody off, football is about opinions some will think that its just a matter of time before the team does gel whilst others want a change. Personally i am a fan of MA but i have to say the performances so far this season have been unacceptable, people are getting fustrated,last season was a mare losing nearly every week but we all stood by the team like we will all this season win lose or draw but after a disappointing home defeat to a team who at best will finish mid table is sickening so everyone is letting off steam, truth is we probably all want us to romp the league just to avoid a stressful last few weeks of the season, trouble is poor results and performances will always lead to questions being asked and I for one am just starting to question MA, but like I keep saying lets judge in October and hopefully by then we might have gone on a 10 match unbeaten run and panic will be over.

I don't mind people having opinions thats what this is all about, what annoys me is it is after 4 games. I'm not happy with the fact we are playing crap and will rightly critisise adams for the poor performances. But what i wont do is call for his head when our players hardly know each other yet. After the 14th game i will come on here and agree with almost everything Tony has said, but i believe thats a reasonable amount of time to give everyone players and micky alike a chance to get things right.

Tony Elsby said:
PEN3 said:
Like every other City fan, I want to see us winning matches and promotion. To be honest, we are a bottom 5 premiership side or a top three fizzy league side. I believe this league is so poor, that anything other than a top three finish for us would be a disaster. Mickey is a decent enough bloke but I just wonder how much he contributed to the points were lost last year (and the year before that!) in the last few minutes of the game. I just don't think he instilled any confidence into the team, and they themselves therefore were always resigned to losing goals right at the death. I can't see what progress we have made since Taylor left. I appreciate the financial problems, but the Walker's Stadium has been packed most of the time, so we are better placed than say Ipswich or Sunderland. I don't want him to go, but if he does may I suggest Gordon Strachan. He should have been appointed after Taylor left - he was available as he had left Cov.

Agree wholeheartedly but there must be a better bet than Strachan. What about Linneker persuading his buddy Alan Hansen to have a go. If he walk the managerial walk as well as he talks the talk he'd be a genius. Otherwise what about Paul Merson. A gamble yes, but an exciting, adventurous one. If we're gonna lose we might as well see a few fireworks and winning by 4-3'or 3-2 is better than what they're serving up at the moment. Four-nil and 3-0 would be better though.

Tony, i thought you had put your points across very well before and i quite respected you.

UNTIL... you suggested Alan Hansen and Paul Merson!! Are you completely mental?? You would sack a manager who has a PROVEN track record of gaining promotion on a shoe string and replace him with Alan 'harry potter' Hansen or Paul 'Rehab' Merson.

Gordon Strachen is a fantastic manager, what he did at Southampton was amazing. If we could get him then this is one replacement that i wouldn't mind seeing. He would have everyones respect straight away which is something we would need.

But lets hope we turn it around, give the guys 14 games and see where we stand then.

Babylon said:
Tony Elsby said:
PEN3 said:

Tony, i thought you had put your points across very well before and i quite respected you.

UNTIL... you suggested Alan Hansen and Paul Merson!! Are you completely mental?? You would sack a manager who has a PROVEN track record of gaining promotion on a shoe string and replace him with Alan 'harry potter' Hansen or Paul 'Rehab' Merson.

Gordon Strachen is a fantastic manager, what he did at Southampton was amazing. If we could get him then this is one replacement that i wouldn't mind seeing. He would have everyones respect straight away which is something we would need.

But lets hope we turn it around, give the guys 14 games and see where we stand then.

14 games and we can forget this season. 10 games is a critical benchmark which offers some opportunity for a new management team.
The more I read the excuses & justifications here and elsewhere for the continuing poor performances the more pessimistic I feel about Micky's potential for turning things round. The bloke has been battered by events:
two relegations, administration, La Manga & the suicide clause fiasco.. and frankly comes across now as repetitive and unconvincing. I understand that he may have strengths including the flexibility of style and above all else - the ability to learn from past errors ....... but much as you may resent these comments .... he isn't demonstrating any of these qualities at this time.

Babylon said:
Keep the Faith said:
Babylon said:
Tony Elsby said:
Too soon to be critical after two defeats in a row?". Don't you count last season's defeats? What bothered me about last season was not getting relegated but the management's failure to steer us through to success from winning positions.

The manager is very limited to what he can do to influence a team once they cross the line, from what you are saying Micky should magicly be able to prevent players like scowcroft/curtis etc miss kicking a ball. Considering we were made up of not wanted players from 2nd rate clubs, maybe just maybe Micky had made the players already over achieve by getting into that winning position.

Tony Elsby said:
We weren't the worst team we just donated points
through what seemed like a lack of tactical acumen and a good many managers would never have survived that indignity. Leicester's "fickle fans" were in fact, so reasonable, that they accepted MA building another side to take us straight back.

Of a manager influencing a team it is one of the great blessings of my life that I was once talked to Bill Shankly about football. At least I held the phone and listened while he talked. "Aye," he said, "Liverpool is special. Even the way the players break their legs at Liverpool is special. We don't worry about the opposition at Liverpool - they fade like snow when the rain comes..." He kept it up for over half an hour, one anecdote after another and he'd never met me in his life. Some managers have a presence. You could be sure no Liverpool player would cross the touchline at Anfield unless he were prepared to die for Liverpool. No player would knowingly be picked unless he were prepared to play with the style and passion of Liverpool. Shankly could influence the way the grass grew at Liverpool. They were happy, happy days - two wingers, pinpoint passing, fearsome tackles and shots galore. Influence?. Everything about Liverpool was Shankly. Undiluted passion and nothing second best.

I've had near 50 years of supporting City and for months now - not four games - it has been making me feel miserable. Not just losing - there's been a fair bit of that in 50 years - but the way we're losing and the prospects for the future.

I don't want City's team full of journeymen and bad team's rejects. What on earth has Mickey ever done to suggest he can work miracles which the previous manager's of these players have failed to do?.

Dario Grady has got a contract for life at Crewe but is exactly the sort of person we need at City. A man with genuine coaching skills who can spot young talent and make it blossom. I don't want Mickey's head. I've looked at his team for long enough so I certainly don't want to look at him.

If Mickey can get a Dario Grady or a motivator like Joe Kinnear to help him that's good management, wise delegation and I'll be happy for Mickey to sit back and collect whatever salary he gets.

How he does it I don't care but I'd like him to stop making me bloody miserable. I want to able to talk about my team with pride again because at the moment everyone I meet is taking the piss.

If he wants to stop making excuses for himself and his team why not meet with the directors and agree a new contract whereby he and his coaching staff only get paid on the basis of points won/ position in the table etc.

Try it Mickey, cos I would. And if the PFA won't allow it why not publicly agree to donate your wages to the LRI every time you get beaten because it would focus your attention and would soon stop you accepting sub-standard performances and attitudes. It would also do some good for the less fortunate in our society because you're not doing much good at the moment that I can see.

No we weren't the worst team, we were the third worst team.

Tony Elsby said:
Let me ask why should "fickle" fans accept their team almost continually losing or underperforming at home over nearly 12 months.

The team was made up of has beens and never has beens, like i said maybe we overachieved considering finances and players brought in. 90% of fans thought we would go straight back down, so did the pundits and so did the bookies, so how exactly is going down under performing??? Maybe it was the fact Adams made them play quite well every now and again that raised your hopes from relegation to survival.

I can't even be bothered to answer your other points, the fans of this club are an absolute joke. Ok everything aint rosey at the minute and things need adjusting, but is anything ever rosey at many clubs. To be even suggesting a replacement of a manager after FOUR games is complete and utter madness. Players dont even get a chance to get use to playing with each other.

Should Adams get the sack i expect all of you to back the next manager 100% for the rest of the season. Or will you just turn on him again like you did Oneil when he first came if things dont start off to well. I think i know what you will be doing.

Fickle Hypocrits with dillusions of grandure sums up 80% of Leicester fans.

People need to snap out of trying to compare every manager we get to MON, the guy was a one of for this club. Just like Brian Clough was for forest. You can't go around sacking a manager just because he can't achieve what your greatest manager did.

I understand your sentiments Babylon but i think its unfair to slag everybody off, football is about opinions some will think that its just a matter of time before the team does gel whilst others want a change. Personally i am a fan of MA but i have to say the performances so far this season have been unacceptable, people are getting fustrated,last season was a mare losing nearly every week but we all stood by the team like we will all this season win lose or draw but after a disappointing home defeat to a team who at best will finish mid table is sickening so everyone is letting off steam, truth is we probably all want us to romp the league just to avoid a stressful last few weeks of the season, trouble is poor results and performances will always lead to questions being asked and I for one am just starting to question MA, but like I keep saying lets judge in October and hopefully by then we might have gone on a 10 match unbeaten run and panic will be over.

I don't mind people having opinions thats what this is all about, what annoys me is it is after 4 games. I'm not happy with the fact we are playing crap and will rightly critisise adams for the poor performances. But what i wont do is call for his head when our players hardly know each other yet. After the 14th game i will come on here and agree with almost everything Tony has said, but i believe thats a reasonable amount of time to give everyone players and micky alike a chance to get things right.

Babylon said:
Tony Elsby said:
PEN3 said:

Apologies. I wasn't seriously making a case for either. I don't do the job interviews so I can't make a truly informed judgement. What I was trying to get over is that we need someone at City (as manager or anything else you want to call him) who can help make the team efficient and give it some style - something to make the crowd buzz. If Strachan can do that I'd be delighted although my son - who's been wrong about football as often as the rest of us - is a Southampton fan and doesn't share your optimism. As for Merson it's early days. It just that he seems to put the focus on attack and entertainment. He may have the motivation to succeed if only because people like you (perhaps understandably) think he's a walking self-destruct button. But its risky I grant you. Though no more risky than letting City carry on as they are for another two months. In conclusion I sincerely hope you're right and I'm hopelessly wrong on all counts. No-one would be more pleased to acknowledge it.

Get Behind MA

Look lets stop getting excited, its 4 games in and yes we haven't made the best start, but we need to get behind MA, not get on his back.

However i think MA must decide very soon what his best starting 11 is and then stick with it. He needs to be more studious in his substitutions, throwing 3 on for players who werent playing that bad is crazy. Sometimes it will work, but not always.

Please lets all be patient!! and give MA a chance to get it right. We need to begin on Saturday with a good result against Wolves, that means we do not lose, and follow this up by beating Brighton.

I also hope that we start to play some Football and get rid of route 1, lets give our creative players a chance to play, we have tha ability within the squad to destroy the rest of this league.

Please Please Please get behind the team and get them back where they belong.

ps.Mickey no more performances like saturday!!

It's a shame we aren't playing in the Carling Cup this week - it would give us a chance to regroup before the crucial game next weekend. Never mind though, with a full squad we will win win win.

How some of you think we should be winning so effortlessly is beyond me... we are in in a gritty, tough league. Our past endeavours in the premier elite count for little this season, and will go against us if anything as the opposition will love to give us plenty of stick and competition.

Give the new squad some time to gel together with some proper matches, not just pre-season.

We may be better than some teams on paper, but the game is not played on paper, so expect some things to go against us early on at least...

We all have expectations for this season, myself included, and i'm disappointed with the start considering the ability we have. But to think we'd gel automatically and be completely fit is unrealistic.

PLEASE, like some have said, give it some time and see what happens... and most importantly, keep the faith!

Cheers

Lboro fox said:
Steven said:
Keep the Faith said:
Alex Wrote
I think we will beat Wolves as we got embarrassed there last year, MA will get the players up for it (IMO), we have Dublin back who I think will make a real difference (IMO) and because our luck must change (IMO).

OK?

Why will MA motivate the players for this match anymore than what he should have done for the last two. He didnt seem to inspire much of a performance against Millwall when he has Dennis to use as inspiration and then yesterday following against Watford he couldnt the team to bounce back with much of a performance. This is my concern with MA at present he doesnt seem to be able to get a response out of the players at present.

I think MA has lost the dressing room. :wink:

Muppet, down the tunnel on the right hand side...[/quote]

Left hand side!!

OK - number one, i am not a lawyer, Marlon you gullible fool, number two, I think we WILL beat Wolves on Saturday due to the players coming back and the results just gone and the way we were humiliated there last term, number three, MA is a very good manager IMO and we would be in real trouble if he left.

I do apologise to everyone who feels that this is a bit lame.

alex said:
...number three, MA is a very god manager IMO and we would be in real trouble if he left.

I do apologise to everyone who feels that this is a bit lame.

Alex, I agree with you that Micky is a very good manager but to tag his as a "very god" is rash.

Heath lets us down

MA has two major problems. Both of which adams seams unable to see. The first is scowcroft, who does nothing to help the cause.
The second is heath who lets us down time and time again.
We lost to watford because of the very poor defending by heath and we will continue to loss games while he is on the pitch

Re: Heath lets us down

step said:
MA has two major problems. Both of which adams seams unable to see. The first is scowcroft, who does nothing to help the cause.
We lost to watford because of the very poor defending by heath and we will continue to loss games while he is on the pitch

Sorry Step but thats rubbish!
Scowcroft in this league is going to our biggest player and on Saturday up untill he was injured was performing well. It is not his fault if everybody oofs the ball up to him and all he can do is head the ball on! He must have won 80% of all headers he went for! if we had others players on the pitch that day ready for the knock down it would have been a different story. The problem is that while Walker just bangs the ball in Scowys direction EVERY kick the opposition just man mark him and therfore all he can do is flick on! The amount of times Canero was in an acre of land ready to receive the ball but it was launched over his head to scowy was ridiculous.
I am not saying that Micky should play him every game as he seems to do as i believe Canero down the right and Tiato down the left gives us a better balance, but this said singling Scowcroft out for blame on Saturday is silly when we have Williams and Joey who contributed JACK ****!
And no im not slagging them off i am saying that they had poor games on the day and if criticism is to be aimed at people then they are more culpable then Scowcroft.

As for Heath he is one of our best young players and in his correct position in the middle of the back four is a solid player( Everyone has momments!) who will only get better. He has never been and never will be a right back and therfore cannot be judged as one.

Many people on here keep going on about how we should be bringing young players through into the first team but they also then expect them to perform like gods and are unforgiving when they make mistakes?? Mistakes are what you are gauranteed you just have to accept it and move on. Judge the player not on one bad performance but after he has had a bad run. Take Stewart for example i would drop him as quite franky he has looked **** the last 1/4 of last year and all this year. He could do with a reality check in the reserves if you ask me.

Ian said:
step said:

Sorry Step but thats rubbish!
Scowcroft in this league is going to our biggest player and on Saturday up untill he was injured was performing well. It is not his fault if everybody oofs the ball up to him and all he can do is head the ball on! He must have won 80% of all headers he went for! if we had others players on the pitch that day ready for the knock down it would have been a different story. The problem is that while Walker just bangs the ball in Scowys direction EVERY kick the opposition just man mark him and therfore all he can do is flick on! The amount of times Canero was in an acre of land ready to receive the ball but it was launched over his head to scowy was ridiculous.
I am not saying that Micky should play him every game as he seems to do as i believe Canero down the right and Tiato down the left gives us a better balance, but this said singling Scowcroft out for blame on Saturday is silly when we have Williams and Joey who contributed JACK ****!
And no im not slagging them off i am saying that they had poor games on the day and if criticism is to be aimed at people then they are more culpable then Scowcroft.

As for Heath he is one of our best young players and in his correct position in the middle of the back four is a solid player( Everyone has momments!) who will only get better. He has never been and never will be a right back and therfore cannot be judged as one.
Many people on here keep going on about how we should be bringing young players through into the first team but they also then expect them to perform like gods and are unforgiving when they make mistakes?? Mistakes are what you are gauranteed you just have to accept it and move on. Judge the player not on one bad performance but after he has had a bad run. Take Stewart for example i would drop him as quite franky he has looked **** the last 1/4 of last year and all this year. He could do with a reality check in the reserves if you ask me.

Heath was a good player to start and is getting better, and can only get better from playing with Keown and dabizas.

Many people on here keep going on about how we should be bringing young players through into the first team but they also then expect them to perform like gods and are unforgiving when they make mistakes?? Mistakes are what you are gauranteed you just have to accept it and move on. Judge the player not on one bad performance but after he has had a bad run. Take Stewart for example i would drop him as quite franky he has looked **** the last 1/4 of last year and all this year. He could do with a reality check in the reserves if you ask me.[/quote]

Heath was a good player to start and is getting better, and can only get better from playing with Keown and dabizas.[/quote]

I agree Heath is going to be a very good defender especially when he can learn from Dabizas and Keown, this why MA needs to prove that he is flexible and change to a 3-5-2 system, this would fit in perfectly with our strongest line up and allow us to control midfield and dictate the play through Gareth Williams who was signed as a playmaker ! It seems to me at present Ian Walker is our playmaker. The back 3 are as good IMO as Elliott, Taggart and Sinclair and this would be the strenghth of the team. It would also allow cover against quicker forwards vs Keown than he would have if we play a flat back 4. Go on MICKY give it a go what have you got to lose ! Show us that you are versatile and prepared to move away from the tried and tested which over the past 12 months has not worked.

Keep the Faith said:

Heath was a good player to start and is getting better, and can only get better from playing with Keown and dabizas.[/quote]

I agree Heath is going to be a very good defender especially when he can learn from Dabizas and Keown, this why MA needs to prove that he is flexible and change to a 3-5-2 system, this would fit in perfectly with our strongest line up and allow us to control midfield and dictate the play through Gareth Williams who was signed as a playmaker ! It seems to me at present Ian Walker is our playmaker. The back 3 are as good IMO as Elliott, Taggart and Sinclair and this would be the strenghth of the team. It would also allow cover against quicker forwards vs Keown than he would have if we play a flat back 4. Go on MICKY give it a go what have you got to lose ! Show us that you are versatile and prepared to move away from the tried and tested which over the past 12 months has not worked.[/quote]

Some logic in this and well worth an extended try because what we're doing right now isn't working and doesn't look like working anytime soon.
Let's hope Mickey's listening because there's nothing worse dogmatic tactics and an equally dogmatic manager who seems to want the team to fit the system rather than devising a system to suit the team.

Yeah lets hope a professional football manager is listening to a bunch of wannabe football pundits who have no experience of managing/coaching/psychology, in fact any aspect of managing a professional football club.

We are all intitled to our opinions but to want MA to pick the team based on fans opinions is ridiculous. Lets sack the manager and pick the team via a text vote each week.

ARSE!

Lets sack the manager and pick the team via a text vote each week

Don't tell this to Paul Mace for god's sake
Sounds like a right little earner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584