Post Match Middlesbrough (a) 0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Win on Saturday (which I think we will) and after ten games we will have a record of W4 D4 L2. I'd have snapped your hand off for that before the season started, especially given the number of new players brought in. That's in the context of an improving side as well. The defence is looking settled and difficult to breach, and the three strikers (however they are utilised) are as good as any in this division. I have some concerns about our lack of midfield movement going forward, but that's about it.

Get that right and we will finish in the top two. Even if we don't get that sorted we are going to be a threat. I'm very optimistic. There is nothing in this division for us to be frightened of. We are in touch with the leaders and we are getting better. What's more, there seems to have been a big improvement in how we match up against the top teams. Early days I know, but last year's play off bid faltered when we had to play the top sides. We are doing just fine against them so far this term.

Boro were poor compared to their past few games we should have took advantage.

I wasn't there so I have no idea whether or not that is the case. But even if it were so, perhaps Boro were relatively poor because they were up against a side which made them look that way.

We're operating in a similar manner to Man City, albeit in a tighter time-frame. Sort out the defence and the results will come.

I think in Schmeichel, Konchesky, Bamba, Mills and Peltier we have the strongest defence in the division, and as they play with each other more a greater understanding will follow. 1 goal conceeded in the previous 4 league games speaks for itself, especially when you consider that's Brighton and two stong teams away from home.

Nobody seems overtly concerned that we are not scoring any goals - even Kermogrants scoring for Charlton!

Win on Saturday (which I think we will) and after ten games we will have a record of W4 D4 L2. I'd have snapped your hand off for that before the season started, especially given the number of new players brought in. That's in the context of an improving side as well. The defence is looking settled and difficult to breach, and the three strikers (however they are utilised) are as good as any in this division. I have some concerns about our lack of midfield movement going forward, but that's about it.

Good post.

Get that right and we will finish in the top two. Even if we don't get that sorted we are going to be a threat. I'm very optimistic. There is nothing in this division for us to be frightened of. We are in touch with the leaders and we are getting better. What's more, there seems to have been a big improvement in how we match up against the top teams. Early days I know, but last year's play off bid faltered when we had to play the top sides. We are doing just fine against them so far this term.

Remember this league is a marathon, ANY points against in form teams is more than welcome. thats Brighton, Southampton, Cardiff and the Boro all of them the current in form teams and we got points, Beat the sheep and WE will become the team to beat. This has beem a tough opening schedule, and for a new team I think they are doing well.

Good point. If we can take a point or two against the promotion chasing sides on their own turf and hopefully beat them at our place we'll be looking good come the end of the season. Sounds like we are starting to sound alot better defensively. Bit of a concern we are not finding the net, but we are creating chances atleast and bearing in mind the recent opposition I don't think we need to get too worried about that just yet.

You'd have to hope he starts scoring regularly soon

I'm not sure but I wonder if Beckford is carrying an injury. He came off at Barnsley with only injury time to play when he should have come off earlier when he got injured, but because we had no striker on the bench Sven I think did not want to change the format of the team.
Since then in both away games he has got injured or is it just that the original injury keeps playing up. Stringer said on commentary that Beckford went down without any sort of challenge tonight. Could it be that he has a niggling injury which just needs a bit of rest and now that Nugent is back Sven can afford to do that. Beckford just did not seem to be fully fit against Cardiff and wonder if he was tonight, did anyone go notice if in the first half he was running okay?

Last edited:
Over the course of a long season the two points we have picked up in tough away games against top half opposition could prove invaluable

Completely agree. You only have to look at our form against teams in the top 6 last season to see why we didn't make the grade. If we beat Derby on Saturday that will mean we've played 5 of the current top 6 (and to be fair I think most of them will be in the top 8 come the end of the season) and remained unbeaten. Very good return of points indeed. 3 clean sheets in a row in the League as well is excellent taking into consideration the teams we've played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669