Confirmed Transfer Mills to Bolton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes transfers don't work out. For a number of reasons, footballing and personal, he never settled here and we never saw what he is capable of. As has been the case with numerous other players, he may well go on to be very effective for his new club leaving us scratching our heads. Certainly those dismissing him as massively overrated are plain wrong.

It is remarkable how often someone leaves us and is roundly abused as a no good loser. Mills is a good player, as is Bamba. I think most neutrals would say that our squad is markedly weaker than it was at the end of the season as a result of these departures. Hopefully, NP has a plan that will redress this and recruiting Chester would most definitely do this. I'm far from convinced of our chances there though. What he does in the next few weeks is vital as our squad at present looks nowhere near good enough to justify our tag as promotion favourites.

I realise that blaming one player out of eleven for a teams defeat can sometimes be harsh. However in Mills case I do think such criticism is justified, his red cards cost us dearly as did his lack lustre displays in many other games. I for one am glad he's gone, he was undoubtably a disruptive influence on the training ground and in the dressing room. Its little wonder that Pearson basically kicked him out of the team. Bolton are welcome to him

Very well summerised BN and also in the Waghorn thread :038:

Re Mills - didn't we conceed less and get more points with him in the team which is the general idea of football despite his hangable disciplinary record? Definitely seems to be another case of us cutting our noses off... so to speak again, but only time will tell I guess and previous history doesn't favour us.

I think most neutrals would say that our squad is markedly weaker than it was at the end of the season as a result of these departures. Hopefully, NP has a plan that will redress this and recruiting Chester would most definitely do this. I'm far from convinced of our chances there though. What he does in the next few weeks is vital as our squad at present looks nowhere near good enough to justify our tag as promotion favourites.

Having got a reputation as being anti-Pearson, I need to stress that the following is NOT in that vein.

Having spent £3m and, as you say, become weaker than last term, are we going to see more expenditure and a squad to challenge, or are the board reducing their goals? I know that the financial rules are kicking in, but I don't quite see what is going on and, as much as I would like to tag this as "stupid Nigel", it seems that the board must be, at least, in agreement with the policy.

We seem to be falling between stools - rumours that the likes of Schlupp are to be loaned out and yet, rather than bring in Championship/Premier League players, we are buying unproven youngsters. If we are building slowly, surely our good young players should be the foundation and, if we are going for the quick route, these purchases seem to be the wrong ones... :102:

Mills has spoken about his move (via BWFC OS) http://www.bwfc.co.uk/page/General/0,,1004~2832198,00.html

Matt Mills is looking to hit the ground running after it was announced on Wednesday that the defender had moved to the Reebok Stadium on a three-year deal.

Wanderers have acted swiftly in the summer transfer window, meaning that the 25-year-old will get the opportunity to link-up with his new team-mates on the first day of pre-season training.

The squad report back to Euxton on Thursday morning following their close-season break.

"It's important that when you move clubs and into a new area that you get the chance to interact with your new team-mates straight away," Mills told the official website.

"They get to know you and you get to know them and that provides a good base going into the new season.

"I know a lot of the lads here already through playing against them over past seasons. There is an excellent squad with a lot of quality.

"This deal has worked out perfectly for me, mainly because Bolton are a fantastic club.

"Speaking to the manager, I have got the vibe of what the place and club is about and the ambitions of getting back into the Premier League.

"The facilities are made for the top division and that's obviously the aim this season - to bounce back straight away.

"To be honest, this area is the one I feel most comfortable living in too, so geographically it's perfect.

"I've got friends around here so I believe I'll settle in very quickly and be able to concentrate on my football."

Mills knows the Championship inside-out having played his football in that division for the last four seasons.

He has represented Doncaster Rovers, Reading and Leicester City in that time, wearing the captain's armband whilst with the Royals and the Foxes.

Although the former England Under-19 international warns that a challenging season lies ahead, he is confident that Wanderers will be up at the summit pushing for an instant return to the Premier League.

Mills added: "Obviously the Championship is a very difficult league, as everyone who has played there will tell you. There are no given games in this division.

"In the Premier League, the top six can more or less pick themselves season-on-season, but in the Championship there are a lot of teams who will expect to do well.

"It's all about trying to get that consistency, going from Saturday to Tuesday to Saturday to Tuesday. There are a lot of games and there will be ups and downs.

"It's going to be a marathon and not a sprint and Reading showed what is possible last season because they got promoted after being mid-table just before Christmas.

"Saying that, it does help getting off to a good start and if the boys go out there and give 100 percent and the fans get behind the team, I'm predicting that it will be a successful and enjoyable season."

Bit of a dig?

Last edited:
Mills is a good player, as is Bamba. I think most neutrals would say that our squad is markedly weaker than it was at the end of the season as a result of these departures. Hopefully, NP has a plan that will redress this and recruiting Chester would most definitely do this. I'm far from convinced of our chances there though. What he does in the next few weeks is vital as our squad at present looks nowhere near good enough to justify our tag as promotion favourites.

I tend to agree that our squad is possibly weaker at the moment rather than stronger. But you can never tell in football - an early run of good results and confidence builds. Currently I'm not sure whether the transfer policy is driven by finance and the new restrictions or long term investment in currently unproven younger players. Certainly I think the tag of promotion favourites is exceptionally flattering and if I was putting money on -it wouldn't be on us.

Having got a reputation as being anti-Pearson, I need to stress that the following is NOT in that vein.

Having spent £3m and, as you say, become weaker than last term, are we going to see more expenditure and a squad to challenge, or are the board reducing their goals? I know that the financial rules are kicking in, but I don't quite see what is going on and, as much as I would like to tag this as "stupid Nigel", it seems that the board must be, at least, in agreement with the policy.

We seem to be falling between stools - rumours that the likes of Schlupp are to be loaned out and yet, rather than bring in Championship/Premier League players, we are buying unproven youngsters. If we are building slowly, surely our good young players should be the foundation and, if we are going for the quick route, these purchases seem to be the wrong ones... :102:

I don't think you can judge how weak or strong we are until the final squad is in place. Even then, you won't have an idea of what some of the players will be like until they've played about 10 games for us, so to comment on our perceived strength as a sqaud at this point seems a little unfair.

I do agree that we're a little weaker in terms of numbers, but I fully expect that NP will be bringing in playes over the next few weeks now that we've moved on two very high earners and managed to recoup a bit of the money we spent on them.

I don't agree that these signings 'seem to be the wrong ones' either - you can't judge a player until he has played for your team. In fact, all the signings last summer 'seemed to be' the right ones - how did that turn out again? Nigel has proven many times that he can find quality players,most of which I'd never heard of before - Ben Marshall, Tom Cleverley, Mark Davies, Jay Spearing, Jack Hobbs... his scouting approach seems to be very thorough and leaves nothing to chance. Occasionally he's brought in the odd dud, but by and large, he's bought some of the best players to play for City in recent years. I much prefer Pearson's well thought out, reasoned approach to signings, rather than the scattergun approach we've seen in recent years from managers like Allen, Holloway, Sousa and Sven.

I couldn't care less what Mills has to say. He got burnt by his experience with us so he is welcome to have a moan, not that I have read anywhere that he has done. He's probably quietly happy we made him rich.

Probably a mistake on Sven's part making him club captain but whatever the reasons for him being unsettled, he has gone. I just hope he continues to play as badly as he has done when playing us and please for the love of god he doesn't score.

In relation to the Bolton article posted by Nottingham Fox, I don't think its a dig at us. Mills now has a poor reputation after his period with City, we will probably never know the full story about Pearson and Mills, but clearly it was bad enough for Mills to be dropped from the playing squad altogether, whatever the reasons I bet Bolton know full well what their getting. Mills states the need for 100% effort, both playing,training and getting on with his new team mates, something he clearly failed to do whilst at Leicester, he's is in my opinion building bridges at Bolton, he certainly doesn't want another 'City scenario' on his CV.

People always look for too much in quotes from new players/managers... They pretty much just use stock answers and speeches... there really isn't anything to read between the lines most of the time.

luckily no one ever goes on to succeed after leaving leicester.
Mills will be in the premier league in a years time. Wes Morgan will not be. I'd probably put good money on that.

players please Mr Pearson

Bolton will probably be in the Premier next season and we may not. However, that will have very little to do with Mills playing for Bolton or Morgan playing for us, I would say.

Bolton will probably be in the Premier next season and we may not. However, that will have very little to do with Mills playing for Bolton or Morgan playing for us, I would say.

Don't know about that. But on another tack, I'm not amongst those who by default setting think that Mills - because he's no longer Leicester - is 100% wrong, and Pearson - because he is Leicester - is 100% right. My guess is that Mills has ended up doing best out of this episode and we've lost money and maybe someone who could have been a useful if not outstanding defender. Taken alongside Bamba I go with a previous poster in thinking that most neutals would think we are weaker for these departures.

Couldn't care less if Mills went on to be their player of the season, he was average for us, as was Bamba and frankly I wouldn't care if they also took SSL with them. They have gone and are now history. Just because they may go on to do well, doesn't mean they ever would have here.

For me the best centre back we had was Morgan quite comfortably. Others will disagree, but his positioning was much better than the other three, similarly his aerial ability.

We might be worse off at the moment (in regards strength in depth), but that's because replacements have yet to be signed. I think our starting 11 will have been improved come the start of the season.

We'll be working with a much closer and smaller squad than last seasons, we've already removed many players who hardly got a kick last year.

Last edited:
I don't think you can judge how weak or strong we are until the final squad is in place. Even then, you won't have an idea of what some of the players will be like until they've played about 10 games for us, so to comment on our perceived strength as a sqaud at this point seems a little unfair.

Well said; people need to realise that Pearson has not completed his recruitment programme yet! Plus the squad on kick off day have to be given a few games to see what they can do as Indierich says. There is plenty of time to get the players we need at the right price. Patience is a virtue and there is lots of activity still to come I am sure both from this club and our competitors. Just like everybody else I can see gaps and a need for players in certain positions but I'm not worried until if on kick off day the squad has not been added to - which is as likely as a British summer this year.

In terms of those gaps and needs, for my part I'd like to see a right back and a centre half brought in as a priority (I'm assuming Peltier will be off soon - and he is frankly not good enough anyway). I also see a need for a defensive midfielder to protect the defence and as a link with the more advanced midfielders. I only see the need to sign a new creative midfielder to partly compete with Matthew James - but mainly as cover in case of injury due to James' record (but even then we could turn to the loan market during the season if he comes a cropper - Pearson does not need to act now on this position. Just like everyone else - James has to be given a chance). This statement presupposes that Wellens and Gallagher are very much viewed in my book as superfluous to our needs & probably one or both of them should be transfered. I'll leave King out of these equations but I would retain him for the time being just in case he comes good again.

I'm not too worried about the attack or see any need to buy a new forward (unless Beckford is replaced in which case a new forward is needed). Good forwards don't come cheap and in view of FFP I'd allocate the bulk of the budget to defence and midfield. I think that Nugent, Vardy & (if retained) Beckford/his replacement have to be given a chance to see what they can do. Moreover, if any hit a bad patch of form or face injury/suspension I would like to see Panyiotou/Schlupp/Hopper given a chance rather than have yet another player shipped in. Thus I hope these promising talents are not given season long loans (short loans are ok if managed and timed properly).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570