Post Match Millwall 1 Leicester City 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to mention Whitbread. He was solid enough but his decision making (or clumsiness) will cost us points this season as he seems to have a problem keeping an attacker 'in his pocket' without fouling him or attempting a rash challenge that 9 times out of 10 will result in a free kick for the opposition in a dangerous position.

Agree with this. Amazingly, Alan Young got this spot on in commentary yesterday too. Said Whitbread has a tendency for rushing the tackle and not just containing the player, and more often than not ends up going through the back of the player and giving away a needless free kick.

I want Sledge back. Anyone know when that's due? What is his current injury? Seems like a long time he's been out!

I won't comment on the actual match as I was not there but perhaps a lighthearted story about the last Millwall match may not come amiss..

Last season we lost badly at home in what would turn out to be Sven's last match here. That evening I was at a dinner party when the host more out of politeness than interest asked about the match.
After briefly explaining how that we had been thoroughly beaten the conversation went like this.
Host: What were the Millwall supporters like
Myself: As obnoxious as usual.
Post lady guest: Aren't Millwall supporters very nice then.
Myself: No. Their motto is Nobody likes us. We don't care.
Posh lady guest: Well it must be horrible if nobody likes you. (Then brightly) Perhaps now they have won they will be nice.

Did anyone who was there notice whether the Millwall supporters have become nice?

I won't comment on the actual match as I was not there but perhaps a lighthearted story about the last Millwall match may not come amiss..

Last season we lost badly at home in what would turn out to be Sven's last match here. That evening I was at a dinner party when the host more out of politeness than interest asked about the match.
After briefly explaining how that we had been thoroughly beaten the conversation went like this.
Host: What were the Millwall supporters like
Myself: As obnoxious as usual.
Post lady guest: Aren't Millwall supporters very nice then.
Myself: No. Their motto is Nobody likes us. We don't care.
Posh lady guest: Well it must be horrible if nobody likes you. (Then brightly) Perhaps now they have won they will be nice.

Did anyone who was there notice whether the Millwall supporters have become nice?

Must be fantastic to attend these post-colonial dinner parties of yours.

Why so?

Everyone can see our away form isn't good enough, but after 22 games we've been consistently in the play-offs. Surely this suggests that we're doing enough (both home and away) to achieve a play-off place, which imo would be a reasonable outcome for the season.

Our home form is just as likely to drop off as our away form is to improve; let's just hope that it's the latter.

I think that this misses the point as to why we usually get rolled over by the nastier sides in this division - or more precisely why Pearson (who was and is supposed to be a no nonsense manager) can't factor into his squad a few players who have a bit of a bite.

I too would have settled for a play off place at the start of the season but the home form has suggested that with a bit of tweeking that we could have done better than that. As I've posted before I don't attend enough games these days to be in a position to comment about the failings of particular players - but you don't need a magnifying glass to understand that we only have one decent goal scorer (Nugent obviously) and that we lack a pyscho or two in the midfield.

To be honest if we carry on with the rate of defeats (six already) I don't think that the home form will be enough to achieve anything.

Hull aren't the same club since they left Boothferry Park. I bet they left all their trophies there.
Have just researched it & apart from getting an "egg-cup" for winning the play-off final in 2008, Hull City´s greatest achievement was reaching the FA cup semi-final in 1930...Wow, I´m staggered!

I think that this misses the point as to why we usually get rolled over by the nastier sides in this division - or more precisely why Pearson (who was and is supposed to be a no nonsense manager) can't factor into his squad a few players who have a bit of a bite.

I too would have settled for a play off place at the start of the season but the home form has suggested that with a bit of tweeking that we could have done better than that. As I've posted before I don't attend enough games these days to be in a position to comment about the failings of particular players - but you don't need a magnifying glass to understand that we only have one decent goal scorer (Nugent obviously) and that we lack a pyscho or two in the midfield.

To be honest if we carry on with the rate of defeats (six already) I don't think that the home form will be enough to achieve anything.

Who would you replace with this psycho? Drinkwater and King are playing well and whilst I agree we desperately need competition in this area, I can't think of many battling midfielders with their pace and movement and passing available to a championship club.

Vardy and Waghorn have a good number of assists between them and replacing them with a supposed "proven" goalscorer runs the risk of sacrificing goals from elsewhere on the pitch for goals from a striker. 10 goals over the season is the same whether it comes from 10 players or 1. We need a striker who is efficient and who can also assist the rest of the team. We had that with Yakubu, but I'm not sure there are many more who would be available to us to do this.

Who would you replace with this psycho? Drinkwater and King are playing well and whilst I agree we desperately need competition in this area, I can't think of many battling midfielders with their pace and movement and passing available to a championship club.

Vardy and Waghorn have a good number of assists between them and replacing them with a supposed "proven" goalscorer runs the risk of sacrificing goals from elsewhere on the pitch for goals from a striker. 10 goals over the season is the same whether it comes from 10 players or 1. We need a striker who is efficient and who can also assist the rest of the team. We had that with Yakubu, but I'm not sure there are many more who would be available to us to do this.

You will know better than me...but having watched Andy King many times, I'm reasonably confident in saying that he isn't a player who travels well to those clubs who 'put their foot in'. Only seen Drinkwater a couple of times but my guess is that he's a player who wants to put himself about- but basically isn't built for it. So two psycho's please - not one.

As for another goal scorer - well that's very difficult and sounds expensive and as you hint not easy to persuade to join us anyway. To be honest I think that Beckford would score more goals than anyone we have at the moment - except of course Nugent. However, Pearson doen't want to know him - and anyway Beckford is generally a bit missing when it comes to away games.

Must be fantastic to attend these post-colonial dinner parties of yours.

I am not sure what a "post-colonial dinner party" is but it sounds like a phrase from pseuds corner.

If we do need a hard working "psycho" midfielder we have already got one on the books in Neil Danns. However, I feel that the team is better with Drinkwater and King (or James and Marshall) than with a physical player who gives the ball away as often as Danns.

There is no doubt that our away form is damaging our promotion chances. Presumably Nigel Pearson has identified the weakness and Steve Walsh Sr has identified targets. Whether we are able to sign them is another matter. Assuming we sell Beckford in January I would hope the owners will be willing to spend. They are no doubt nervous after the money spent by Sven but Nigel's signings since his return have been good value.

I am not sure what a "post-colonial dinner party" is but it sounds like a phrase from pseuds corner.

If we do need a hard working "psycho" midfielder we have already got one on the books in Neil Danns. However, I feel that the team is better with Drinkwater and King (or James and Marshall) than with a physical player who gives the ball away as often as Danns.

If you are relating mistimed, late challenges as a quality of being physical then Danns is the one.

Getting a tired of these losses now. More disappointed at the lack of change in personnel, variety in formation or a plan which doesn't involve us relying on Dyer's pace, Knocky's creative streak and Marshall's crossing. If a team stop us on the wings, we won't score.

Well err yes....... that's partly what I had at mind. Although the most successful psychos could also play football as well.

My comment was tongue in cheek as for me Danns is one of those footballers who looks like he's doing a lot work when in fact he's making things harder. I can not deny he had a good spell for a period of last season. However, he was his worst enemy there as any run of games was interrupted by being suspended.

People may laugh but I'd ask QPR about Shaun Derry for the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566