Mongia off to India

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

http://www.leicestershireccc.co.uk/news-detail.asp?NewsID=689

DINESH MONGIA has today taken a big step towards fulfilling his World Cup dream . . . leaving Leicestershire seeking an overseas replacement for what could be a five week period. The triangular series starts on August 14th and India will play four matches before the final on August 29th in Colombo.

I assume he will miss the 20/20 final on the 12th. A bit of a shame but he hasn't been great in limited overs cricket this year. I'm surprised hes back in the squad actually.

My pick to replace him? Justin Langer. Has been awesome for Somerset in all forms of the game. Leads by example and will leave Somerset once Dan Cullen comes back from Australia A duty.

If not, we should go for a big signing. Someone like Ponting to have in our side for the 20/20 finals day. He surely wouldn't cost that much for only a one month contract and it would bring the fans in.

Of course I'm assuming we will get to 20/20 finals day and that we would need a big player to give us the best chance of winning. If we fail to get into the 20/20 final then we may as well just stick with our existing squad, play Rosenberg or Boyce.

Unless it's a big name replacement, i'd probably give the youngsters a go. We seem to be producing/signing a good young crop so it's worth giving someone a go IMO. Maybe Paul Harrison for the one day format and Tom New for the 4 day stuff.

Apparently theres a training camp starting on the 25th of this month. He'll do well to play in the 20/20 quarter final and we'll struggle to get a replacement I think.

I hate seeing these overseas players come over for 1 or 2 matches. Sorry to see him go, as he's done well this season, but we're going nowhere in the Championship and he hasn't contributed anything in the 20/20. So live without him I say and give the young English qualified players some experience. Or bring Maddy back in, as he'll be playing in the Pro40 anyway.

Anybody heard anything about a replacement for Mongia or are we not going to bother? :102:

LEICESTERSHIRE today confirmed that exciting leg spinner Mansoor Amjad will deputise for Dinesh Mongia as their overseas player while the Indian star is away on international duty.

The 18-year-old Pakistan A player was flying direct from his country’s participation in the Top End Series in Australia so that he is available for the Liverpool Victoria County Championship match against Gloucestershire at Cheltenham which starts on Wednesday.

Mansoor was scheduled to come to Grace Road for the remainder of the season to play in the Club’s Second XI.

But when Leicestershire were faced with the prospect of replacing Mongia for a five week week period following his recall to India’s One Day squad, they decided to go for the teenager.

Mansoor has already spent time working with Leicestershire’s Senior Coach Tim Boon during the Championship match against Northamptonshire at Oakham School two months ago.

“This is very much an investment in potential and follows the Club’s philosophy of developing emerging talent which can grow with us in the future,” commented Boon.

“I first spotted Mansoor when I was out in Pakistan last winter when he took five wickets against England in Lahore. He also comes highly recommended by Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer.”

He added: “He is a wrist spinner who will hopefully give us a vital cutting edge which we have been missing in Championship matches on occasions when we have been in strong positions.

“He is also a more than capable middle order batsman who at 18 already has two first class hundreds to his name.”

Mansoor will watch his new Leicestershire team-mates in action in the NatWest Pro40 match at Cheltenham tomorrow and is then expected to make his debut in the Championship match.

From Official site.

Pleased with that signing, if it means he will become a regular overseas player for us. I'm fed up with these 6 week mercenaries.

It means Tom New will get a chance, and Henderson will be out. His strike rate has been abysmal this season. Means Snape will still bat at 6 though :icon_roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669