Moore please

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyK

Article singing the praises of Liam Moore.

http://www.squawka.com/news/2014/02/23/wins-more-headers-than-why-this/2014022373184

(Note there are graphs on the actual page which aren't included below.)

Power, Pace & Potential: Why This Leicester Starlet Would Handle PL Step-Up

By Patrick Gleeson

Posted on February 23, 2014

Young, athletic centre-halves have been hard to come by for England in recent years. Phil Jones is a player that many believe is destined for big things but is short of pace and, like his Manchester United team-mate Chris Smalling, has been unable to settle in a single position.

The current crop in the senior side can certainly be tarred with the traditional brush but the likes of Gary Cahill and Phil Jagielka aren’t players you would call upon to race across to cover your full-backs should they be caught out of position. There is one player who seems to tick all the boxes, or at least the vast majority, and whose progression shows no sign of slowing down, and that’s Leicester’s Liam Moore.
Squawka app

Download the free Squawka Football App here

Although he has had short stints at right-back, Moore has been an integral part to the centre of Nigel Pearson’s defence. Having progressed through the Foxes’ youth sides, the intimidating 21-year-old has accumulated 28 first team appearances for the club this season across all competitions, which includes 25 in the Championship.

Moore cut his teeth in the side last season, and although he still shows occasional glimpses of inexperience when it comes to positional sense and tactical awareness, he has flourished with the additional responsibilities and is a large part of the reason Leicester sit eight points clear at the top of the division.

The balance that Pearson has found in his defence is one that not many can match. While both Wes Morgan and Moore are physically strong players, the former uses his experience to keep the backline in shape and the latter uses his pace to cover ground and support colleagues.
Moore Duel Success

Moore Duel Success – Championship 2013/14

The central pairing, combined, have been successful in 184 of 320 headers contested and both have won just over half of their attempted tackles.

As touched upon previously, there are certainly areas Moore needs to work on, though his individually progression will only be aided by game time and the belief his manager has in him. One major flaw in his game his distribution. More often than would be expected at elite level, he opts for the long ball, which, naturally, influences his completion rate – just 68% of his passes have met their intended target, the worst in the squad. However, his passing can sometimes be effective; Moore has produced 11 key passes and an assists, which is a stronger return than any other centre-back at the club.

It came as no surprise when he was the focus of interest from a host of Premier League clubs last month, and if he continues to improve then Leicester can expect for a number of clubs to come in for him again.

However, with the Foxes edging closer to the topflight with every game played, Moore will probably have his turn on the big stage with the club he has represented since he was a child.

Cheers for that TommyK, useful analysis which hits the mark, basically Moore has huge potential which I don't thinks anyone would disagree with. Lets hope he keeps up his impressive progression, certainly an England player of the future if he can keep improving and steers clear of serious injuries.

Arsenal clearly regard Miquel as a player for the future and yet Nigel Pearson prefers Liam Moore. What a compliment to Moore. My one qualification is that you do not become a top central defender by playing in the championship. He needs to play against Premier League strikers next season preferably for us.

Not meaning to be harsh about him but having seen the lad a few times last season I had hoped Peason would loan him out to make his mistakes and learn from them elsewhere. **** knows what happened over the summer! He's gone from a promising youngster to a player more than capable at this level.

Is it just me or do those stats on him seem pretty average at best? I don't see anything to indicate his potential in them.

Is it just me or do those stats on him seem pretty average at best? I don't see anything to indicate his potential in them.
You're the stat guru in here, so if you say so it must be correct.

I hope other teams managers are as blinded by stats and leave him with us, maybe try watching him play a bit before judging?

I don't think BN said he's shit or he hasn't got potential.

No but he did push the tired old line that if a few stats don't look brilliant a player can't be all that good, I'd far rather watch a players performances to make a judgement on his ability. As one of our better performers this season I'd say he has more than potential.

A young Ashley Williams for me and that's a real compliment.

No but he did push the tired old line that if a few stats don't look brilliant a player can't be all that good.

I don't think he was saying that at alll, either

It's an article praising Moore based on a range of ordinary-looking stats, and BN was just pointing that out.

It's a fair point.

Yes, don't question BN's stat understanding

To be fair I thought the stats look very ordinary. Liam Moore though is an outstanding prospect and I love him more than the stars.

A young Ashley Williams for me and that's a real compliment.

I'd agree with that - and I think Ashley Williams is a player that should get a move to a bigger club over the summer (Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal or maybe Everton)

I like Moore a lot, but I wouldn't say pace is one thing he particularly has in abundance, which is what the article seems to suggest he has which sets him apart from the likes of Jagielka and Cahill?

I like Moore a lot, but I wouldn't say pace is one thing he particularly has in abundance, which is what the article seems to suggest he has which sets him apart from the likes of Jagielka and Cahill?

Really? He'd leave any of our other CB's for dead. I do think he's a pacey CB which is one of his strengths IMO.

Being quicker than Morgan or Wasilewski isn't saying much though. I wouldn't say he was slow, but he certainly doesn't stand out as being amazingly quick.

Being quicker than Morgan or Wasilewski isn't saying much though. I wouldn't say he was slow, but he certainly doesn't stand out as being amazingly quick.
That's exactly the point - he's quick for a central defender. It's a position traditionally occupied by players who can't run very fast, and the exceptions stand out - I find myself reminded of Sol Campbell.

That's exactly the point - he's quick for a central defender. It's a position traditionally occupied by players who can't run very fast, and the exceptions stand out - I find myself reminded of Sol Campbell.

This. Players like Distin, Koscielny aren't exceptionally quick but quick positionally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4469