More quality to come... and a few life lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babylon

http://www.thebluearmy.co.uk/details.asp?key=1D29|0|2185366269754|R|536|6118261472007262600731

Martin Allen could do a U-turn on some of the players he transfer-listed in his first weeks as Leicester City manager.

And as Allen revealed there could be a possible lifeline at City for some of those six, he insisted there were more “quality” signings to come.

City's 11th signing of the summer came yesterday with a three-year deal for Birmingham City skipper Stephen Clemence for a £750,000 fee which could rise to £1million.

City are still trying to wrest DJ Campbell from the Blues with an increased offer and are optimistic about success, but the striker is only one of several men in Allen's sights.

And, while that will excite City fans, Allen has confessed that he might have to revisit some of the decisions he took on transfer-listing the players he did.

Allen has previously mentioned the good work of slimmed-down striker Mark de Vries who, along with Rab Douglas, Darren Kenton, Elvis Hammond, Alan Maybury and Stephen Hughes had been told they were free to find other clubs, with Hughes yet to complete a move to Hearts.

Allen said: “The attitude of the players has been exceptional, especially the attitude of those I told could leave a few weeks ago when I first got here.

“I had to create a bit of space for the new signings and I felt I was being honest and fair but their attitude has been spot-on.

“I have promised them all I would look after them, not treat them as if they had done something wrong because they hadn't.

“So it must be said they have been exceptional and, for some of them, I might have to revisit some of those decisions, depending on what I see over the next couple of weeks.

“I am man enough to say well maybe one or two of them might come back into it and do okay. They have trained hard and look dangerous.”

Allen is well aware of the task of moulding the many newcomers into a settled squad and said: “The message is don't panic, don't be alarmed.

“The transition, the transformation, is only just starting. It had to be done.

“We need more quality and, over the next couple of weeks, I will start to close it down.

“I know where I have got to get it and the chairman has been fantastic in backing me, and every week he has a report on what is going on throughout the football club.

“He knows where I am coming from.

“I share everything with him, and he and the chief executive (Tim Davies) have been great in looking after me.”

Today, City play their first public matches of pre-season - at Oadby (1pm) and at Quorn (3pm), with Allen taking in as much of both games as he can.

But he will be taking a low-key approach, which might be contrary to his touchline image.

He said: “I am going to sit back and enjoy watching the games, no pre-match instructions or shouting from the dug-out.

“I'll have a pie at half-time and really just take it all in.”

Eat a pie? God I hate this cnut. What an embarrassment. More quality? Fcking w@nker.

I've seen some people on this forum posting saying they want MDV to be given a second chance, I can't be bothered to find some quotes but I really hope he isn't, if MA wants to get us out of this league then the likes of Elvis, MDV, Maybury & Rabs aren't good enough. I still think Kenton is a average, versatile player that could be a useful player to have at the back.

No reason why Maybury and De Vries can't be good players IMO. I have, in the past, seen enough to believe that.

I was being ironic. See earlier posts regarding the non-support of MA's banter. Earthboy I most certainly am not a prawn sarnie brigade member.

I was being ironic. See earlier posts regarding the non-support of MA's banter. Earthboy I most certainly am not a prawn sarnie brigade member.

OK good . I think he's a breath of fresh air too . But i hope he's not got a sheep skin coat
:tumbleweed:

I like the odd prawn sarnie - but down the Walkers it has to be a balti pie!
They sell fried pies up here, but now found out that Macro stock Pukka Balti Pies - great!

No reason why Maybury and De Vries can't be good players IMO. I have, in the past, seen enough to believe that.

I agree more on MDV than Maybury, as the former can be a bit of a handful when he puts it about a bit. Colchester did very well with Iwelumo last season, and I'd say they're quite similar. We lacked a big hold up player last year, who you can sledge it up to from midfield or defence, and they'll use their size with their back to goal. Prob Heskey's main quality.

Giving those failures a second chance probably means MA can't get any more new players in. It's disappointing that he can't unload the rubbish but hardly surprising when CL gave out 3-year contracts.

Yeah I would rather Devries than Maybury anyday in the team, Maybury is always a sending off waiting to happen

I still think there are more signings to come aswell even if people dont get sold just yet.

So MA thinks that some of the listed players 'Look dangerous'. Surely not that big girls blouse Hughes who, IMO, wouldn't look dangerous sporting a bombers vest whilst carrying an AK 47!

Giving those failures a second chance probably means MA can't get any more new players in. It's disappointing that he can't unload the rubbish but hardly surprising when CL gave out 3-year contracts.

No it just means he can't get rid of the useless feckers!

No it just means he can't get rid of the useless feckers!

Exactly, it also a good way of reminding other managers that the players are still available. I would be amazed if any of these really have a long term future with City.

It's disappointing that he can't unload the rubbish but hardly surprising when CL gave out 3-year contracts.

That's easy to say in hindsight, but when he signed the players, he didnt think "these players will be crap, I'll give them a short contract".

If you go down the road of only offering short contracts, a lot of players will refuse to sign, and any that turn out to be any good could leave for nothing.

If the likes of McCarthy, Kisnorbo, Hume's contracts had been up this summer for example, people would have moaned about them only being given short contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566