Mortgages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bringing this back on topic:

Say I got a 2 year fixed rate mortgage.....

Then after that fixed period move again and so on....

Someone at work says that's what they will do when their fixed period is up... it seemed a bit to easy?????????

It might not be as easy as it seems. There are other charges relating to moving your mortgage round from lender to lender. You may have to pay for a new survey each time - the new lender wants to be sure what it is getting. You may have to pay an initial set-up fee each time.

Your fixed deal might finish at a time when interest rates are high - then there would be no way of getting anything like the deal you had before.

Make sure that you look at all the figures so there are no surprises. And remember that fixed deals do not guarantee to be cheaper - only that your payments will stay the time through the period of the deal.

I have recently found out I had the mortgage...

How do you suddenly find out that you have a mortgage? You must have signed quite a few papers to get it.

As someone who got their first mortgage earlier this year I can best advise you to get out there and meet with a mortgage advisor and then as many of the high street banks/lenders/building societys as possible. Also try places like the money supermarket.com etc.

All that makes a great deal of sense. The only thing that I would add is that a mortgage advisor will be getting something out of the deal. Ask him how much it is and bear this in mind whilst considering the deal. He might have his own interests in mind rather than yours when he gives the advice.

Last edited:
Out of context, I quite agree. In the context of 'General Chat' in 'The Pub' and with the knowledge that *most* people on here know what spirit things are written in, I'm pretty sure that one persons 'humour' will always be anothers reason for condemnation.

No point asking if you have ever been to the sickipedia site is there?

If you genuinely feel that my post offended you, then I am sorry. Hopefully others will take it for the bit of Friday afternoon banter (albeit off colour to some) that it was intended as.

Never said I disagreed with it or that I wasn't one of said sick people :icon_wink however somethings can be taken the wrong way easily and I think I would probably feel a bit "eurgh" about it if I had young 'uns

Never said I disagreed with it or that I wasn't one of said sick people :icon_wink however somethings can be taken the wrong way easily and I think I would probably feel a bit "eurgh" about it if I had young 'uns

OK, we've both had our say, neither of us has got too heated and we;ve managed to comment without resorting to childish retorts.

Let's just kiss and make up and move along onto the next topic :056:

;)

the branches were amazingly busy on friday, people turning up expecting to withdraw their £1,000,000 savings in cash, idiots.

****tards all of them.

If they'd just carried on reading the Daily Mail instead of making panic withdrawals the bank wouldn't have a problem staying afloat.

****tards all of them.

If they'd just carried on reading the Daily Mail instead of making panic withdrawals the bank wouldn't have a problem staying afloat.

people kicking off about they might lose their £5,000 savings.....the rock needs kicking for not saying that its protected no matter what, if they stay in business or not

people kicking off about they might lose their £5,000 savings.....the rock needs kicking for not saying that its protected no matter what, if they stay in business or not

Only up to 33 grand. ;)

Only up to 33 grand. ;)

I am pretty certain some of the ****tards I saw queuing outside the branches in newcastle had more than £5 in their accounts.

and i have said more than once the terms FSCS covers since Friday, due to my work situation ;)

Last edited:
Only up to 33 grand. ;)

It's only up to 2 grand. After that you only get 90%.

But the truth is that nobody is going to lose any money. Northern Rock is solvent and will continue to be however much of people's savings is withdrawn.

Their homepage now carries the following message:

Important customer notice

Dear Customer

May I begin by offering you my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you have suffered in dealing with Northern Rock during the last few days. Customer service is of paramount importance to us and due to the circumstances that surround us, you have been let down. Thank you so much for your patience, particularly when using our website which has been running very slowly due to the number of people working online.

Let me now reassure you. Your money is safe with us and if you want some, or all of it back, then you are perfectly entitled to it. Whilst you may have to wait a little longer than usual to receive it, you will get it. However, your savings are secure and there is no need for you to withdraw your money based on our recent announcement, and the widespread media coverage that has ensued. The Bank of England has agreed to provide a funding facility to enable us to manage through the current global liquidity crisis. They would not have done so, if we were not a solvent, adequately capitalised, well run bank. I hope this helps to reassure you.

Your custom is very important to us and I sincerely hope you choose to stay with us along with the vast majority of our customer base.

Yours sincerely

Adam J Applegarth
Chief Executive

16 September 2007

It's only up to 2 grand. After that you only get 90%.

But the truth is that nobody is going to lose any money. Northern Rock is solvent and will continue to be however much of people's savings is withdrawn.

Can't rely on the BBC. :icon_bigg ;)

It is what was reported in their business section. At least I think so. :icon_conf

the media have made it look as if people are going to lose everything. whereas you are protected for

Deposits: £31,700 per person.

100% of the first £2,000 and 90% of the next £33,000.

Investments: £48,000 per person.

100% of the first £30,000 and 90% of the next £20,000.

Some women on telly today was outside Kingston Upon Thames Northern Rock branch claiming she had a near million pounds with them banked.

I'd loved of seen the branch manager's face when she said I want to take out all £950,000 from my account please. I wouldn't even dare care around 1% of that.....

Now they are interviewing twats in the queues who are saying that they don't trust the Government guarantee. FFS!

They're out in force in Leicester today - loads of them in the queue

All OAPs and nutters

You've gotta love 'em, really

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675