Moving house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Han

We're looking at moving house (rented).

What are people's experiences with getting deposits back?

We're almost in a position to move but the deposit is holding us back, which is annoying as we have the deposit at our current place.

How long does it generally take to get it back?

Is it possible to move it from one land lord to anouther within the DPS?

i'm waiting for a deposit right now

i think there is a ten day limit to return it

i once had a massive argument with a landlady who withheld about £100 from returning my deposit, she came up with spurious back-dated cleaning charges and stood her ground when she returned the money

i said to her "if the money isn't in my account in two working days, i tell the council you are paying single-person council tax on a multi-person flat for the last three years at least"

and then

"if it's not there in 5 working days, i tell HMRC you aren't paying income tax on rental income and haven't been in at least three years"

it was there the next day

it would have cost her a small fortune, a fortune she didn't have. she had to borrow the £100 to pay me

why is the lack of deposit holding you back? because you are skint?

i think there is a ten day limit to return it

why is the lack of deposit holding you back? because you are skint?

Ten days from the end of the notice period?

We've saved enough for the overlap in rent, agency fees, sky, BT etc but not enough for the deposit. We really want to move before Christmas too.

We've saved enough for the overlap in rent, agency fees, sky, BT etc but not enough for the deposit. We really want to move before Christmas too.

Han as you are not guaranteed the deposit be it in part or in full i wouldnt rely on it. I would save up a bit more and if you get the deposit its a bonus. IMHO of course.

that's what the estate agent fella said is the law, but i'm not so sure

Han as you are not guaranteed the deposit be it in part or in full i wouldnt rely on it. I would save up a bit more and if you get the deposit its a bonus. IMHO of course.

We get on really will with our land lady. The previous tenants trashed the place and she seems delighted with the way we've kept it. I would expect the vast majority back.

Looks like another Christmas with the ignorant neighbours at the mo' :icon_sad: .

We get on really will with our land lady. The previous tenants trashed the place and she seems delighted with the way we've kept it. I would expect the vast majority back.

Looks like another Christmas with the ignorant neighbours at the mo' :icon_sad: .

We were in a similar situation to yourselves a few months ago. Our landlord was amazing, and gave us a cheque on the day of moving out. Obviously this was difficult for paying the deposit on the new house.

Is there any way that you can borrow the deposit off of a family member with a view to paying them back when you get your deposit and possibly save up for any difference? You could also ask thelandlord to make a cheque out to the person that lent you the money.

What are people's experiences with getting deposits back?

How long does it generally take to get it back?

Not the best experience. Was about 2.5 years ago, the estate agent said they had put the deposit in a certain account for the Landlord in time to give it to us, he said he hadn't got it. Took about 3-4mths to get it sorted! And then he took £20, may have been more, off for cleaning the oven, which was spotless!!!

she had to borrow the £100 to pay me

I take it you didnt use an agent then? When I rented I was told the Landlords are not allowed to hold onto the deposit, let alone spend it. So the agency held onto the money, and in turn why I had the problem stated above.

Last edited:
I take it you didnt use an agent then? When I rented I was told the Landlords are not allowed to hold onto the deposit, let alone spend it. So the agency held onto the money, and in turn why I had the problem stated above.

no it was dodgy as fook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670