Moving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too much information, YV :icon_conf

Thanks homer but the name is Highland.If you are going to edit posts its always a good idea to call the poster by their right name or the joke does lose a bit of its effect

Last edited:
Urgent Help For Silver Fox

You could try manually changing the DNS to one you know of instead of the default. :102:

Urgent Help For Silver Fox

You could try manually changing the DNS to one you know of instead of the default. :102:

The best way (in my opinion) is to change the hosts file, there's a link to instructions in the first post of this thread, but I've added some more detailed instructions below. Doing that doesn't affect anything else, messing about with internet settings might cause other problems. As long as you remove it from the hosts
Another option might be to use a proxy, but that can also cause other problems.

How to set up the site in your hosts file:

Assuming you're using Windows XP (the file may be in a different location for other operating systems):

You should have a file called HOSTS in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\

(there may be files of the same name in other places, but the one
above is the one you should change)

You should open the file in a text editor (notepad is best for this),
and add the following to the bottom of the file:

77.240.6.58 talkingballs.co.uk
77.240.6.58 www.talkingballs.co.uk

Then save it. If you have problems opening the file because it has no
file extension, you can change the file name to hosts.txt, as long as
you remember to change it back once you've saved it - notepad may also
automatically add .txt to the end, so it's best to check once it's
saved.

Doing this should also make the site slightly quicker, because your
browser won't need to do DNS lookups when you go to the site. One
thing to be careful of though is if I move the site to a different IP
address in the future you'll need to change your hosts file or the
site won't work. Best to remove the lines from the hosts file after a few days when it should work without the need to do this.

We have tried DNS servers, a Proxy server and the hosts file and nothing has worked. :icon_cry: :icon_conf :icon_conf I have told him to email you. ;)

Not received an email.

Just looked on the log on the old server, and there are still several people who are ending up at that site even though it's now four days after the move. There are some seriously out of date DNS servers out there - assuming DNS is the problem.

One thing that might help me understand what's going on is if people with problems can run the following - from windows:

Click start, Run, and enter the word command in the box and click ok. This should open a DOS window.

Then enter the following command ping talkingballs.co.uk and press enter.

You should see something like this:

Pinging talkingballs.co.uk [77.240.6.58] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 77.240.6.58: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 77.240.6.58:
Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 3, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 17ms, Average = 17ms

Press ctrl-C to stop it running.

If you don't see 77.240.6.58 when you run it, but see another address instead, your DNS lookup is fetching the wrong IP address.

We have tried DNS servers, a Proxy server and the hosts file and nothing has worked. :icon_cry: :icon_conf :icon_conf I have told him to email you. ;)

Can he not just use 77.240.6.58 until his DNS servers update?

Just checked the stats on the old server, to see how many people are still having a problem:

Unique visitors:

17 Aug 2007 2539
18 Aug 2007 1947
19 Aug 2007 1908
20 Aug 2007 424 (The move happened in the early hours of this morning - the number for a normal Monday would be around 3,000)
21 Aug 2007 5
22 Aug 2007 3
23 Aug 2007 1
24 Aug 2007 0

So I'm confident that there is no problem at this end, and as I expected, nearly everyone had access to the new site within a few hours of the move, and 99.9% + were working within a day

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for trying to help. Unfortunately I still can't access the site from home which is a shame.

Hopefully it will remedy itself in time. If not I will just have to remain in exile.

Thank you all.

Liam

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for trying to help. Unfortunately I still can't access the site from home which is a shame.

Hopefully it will remedy itself in time. If not I will just have to remain in exile.

Thank you all.

Liam

Have you tried typing 77.240.6.58 into your browser address bar?

[Hope he gets to read this after the match.]

Have you tried typing 77.240.6.58 into your browser address bar?

[Hope he gets to read this after the match.]

just that into the adress bar? It can not be as simple as that?!?!?!:icon_conf

just that into the adress bar? It can not be as simple as that?!?!?!:icon_conf

It could be.

When you type talkingballs.co.uk into a browser it queries your ISPs DNS servers for the IP address that matches that domain.
If your ISP hasn't updated their DNS servers with the new IP address for the site it will keep sending you to the old location of the site.
If you type in the actual IP address it circumvents this process & your browser should bring you directly to the site.

F*ck me that is a pretty cogent description from somebody in my state, have just got shut of a houseful of reprobates.

From YV. ;)

sorry to bother you but i wonder if you can help me, i want to access TB through IE (currently doing so through aol) but whenever i log in it logs me out again, ive even typed in 77.240.6.58 into the address bar and then logged in but its still the same problem, i would ask jeff but he would blind me with computer jargon and as im dense when it comes to computers i need it explaining in the simplest of terms :)

Can anyone help? :102:

for the record i know i might appear awkward but i just prefer accessing this site from IE instead of aol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669