myp2p - Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattmeister

As I'm often out of the country, I've grown reliant on myp2p and Thai TV to catch the occasional live stream of city games. I wouldn't normally post anything here, but after what happened to me much earlier today, it might be worth some of you taking note.

Last night I set my alarm very early in the morning (8 hrs ahead in China) - went to myp2p, clicked on a couple of streams before I got a very good feed. This lasted all of two minutes before my laptop completely locked-up with an apparent AV demo called Antivira. Absolutely no applications would work - all accompanied with a spurious infection message directing you to an unsecure, fake, but very plausible full product payment page. No internet pages would open, so impossible to look for fixes. Control panel, system tools, uninstall etc. not working either. In this situation, it's easy to see why some people might succomb and give credit card details away to get rid of the problem.

Fortunately my wife brought her laptop with her, so I could look for fixes, but the first recommended 'commercial' option didn't work for me, and manual removal is not for the faint hearted. To cut a long story short, I opened Windows in safe mode, and used system restore - this appears to have done the trick.

Anyone else come across this??

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember if it was this specific website, but it did have a similar effect. Luckily my lad knew how to rectify the problem, having to download something or other.
I'm abit reluctant to watch games online now.

What makes you so sure that it has anything to do with MyP2P?

Some of the sites linked to from Myp2p have drive by downloads on them. I've experienced this myself but my anti-virus program noticed it before any harm was done.
You should be extra careful with any site with dodgy content like illegal streams.

It definitely sounds like a drive-by of some kind and if it was MyP2P that was responsible, I'd have expected have heard about this before, which is why I asked.

You're dead right about being careful about sites like that and do not go anywhere near these kind of sites with Internet Explorer. That's just asking for trouble.

What makes you so sure that it has anything to do with MyP2P?

Sorry, I wasn't pointing the finger at myp2p as such - just the streaming links which can obviously be a bit random to say the least.

Unfortunately this piece of **** bypassed my AV protection.

Sorry, I wasn't pointing the finger at myp2p as such - just the streaming links which can obviously be a bit random to say the least.

Unfortunately this piece of **** bypassed my AV protection.

No need to apologise, I was just looking for more info

You're dead right about being careful about sites like that and do not go anywhere near these kind of sites with Internet Explorer. That's just asking for trouble.

Which would you suggest using? Feel free to PM me if you can't post the answer .

Which would you suggest using? Feel free to PM me if you can't post the answer .

I would suggest using any browser that isn't IE, or any browser that is based on its shell :icon_wink

If you meant P2P sites, dunno lad, I don't bother with them.
Well... not for streaming matches anyway

I'm surprised that I'm the only person to post in this thread, would've expected at least one or two replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669